Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Cross-drawer
7,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend's son got a ticket for a cracked windshield in one of the little podunk towns over here near Savannah. It is a single line crack that runs about 2/3s of the way across the bottom of the windshield about 4" from bottom. It looks like it does not violate Georgia or Federal law. Have any of you gotten a ticket for this before?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Never heard of that. I would imagine he wasn't pulled over for just that. Was it possibly some other violation, and he was less than polite to the cop, and the cop started "fishing" for other stuff?

I would guess it was either that, or the cop is just a dick and revenue generator.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I've heard of people getting ticketed for it. Look at OCGA 40-8-73 (e). I'm on my phone and not where I can easily copy and paste. But it mentions no cracks or spiderwebs greater than 3"×3". That's why when my truck had a rock hit the windshield a few weeks ago on I-85, I had had the windshield replaced the next day. Within 30 minutes, the crack went from a 1/2" chip to a crack from one side to the other.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Which podunk town? Richmond Hill would give out tickets for going 26 in a 25 mph neighborhood when I lived there.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,532 Posts
a single line crack doesn't violate the State law.
The spider-web or "starburst" group of cracks WOULD be illegal if it exceeded 3" x 3" in size.

QUOTE:

40-8-73 (e) No motor vehicle shall be operated with a windshield or rear window having a starburst or spider webbing effect greater than three inches by three inches.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,532 Posts
a few years ago, a member here got a ticket for having a rubber set of bull testicles hanging off his trailer hitch. The cops said it was public indecency or disorderly conduct or something. A few of us, including lawyers like myself, suggested to the guy that there's NO WAY any real court with an honest judge (not a kangaroo court with a political hack in a black robe) would allow that case to proceed to trial, in light of Ga. Supreme Court precedent on obscenity, indecency, and freedom of expression.
Still, it was cheaper and easier for the dude to pay the small fine than fight the ticket.
Maybe cops in that little down near Savannah hope drivers with hairline-crack windshields do the same thing-- pay up and shut up, instead of demanding the made-up charges be dismissed. (It really IS easier to just take the hit.... )

·
Registered
7,923 Posts
Justice is great stuff, but expensive.

·
Proud GCO member.
7,960 Posts
Amazing how much "justice is merely a protection racket for local businesses.

·
Proud GCO member.
7,960 Posts
I fixed that for you
That too. But if you go find the first lobbying for an ordinance for cracked windshields, I guarantee you will find a tie to people who profited.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
That too. But if you go find the first lobbying for an ordinance for cracked windshields, I guarantee you will find a tie to people who profited.
Kind of like putting a doctor in charge of "fixing" our dysfunctional and devastatingly expensive health care and health insurance system?

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Fight it, no matter how inconvenient it is. If you don't stand up to a bully, they just keep coming back for more.
These little podunk governments know you'll spend a minimum of two days fighting their scam. Everyone involved makes their living by extracting money from you. They don't give it up easily. While I agree it needs to be fought, I don't think burning two days minimum worth of income, and most likely still losing the fight and paying the fine, will get the satisfaction you're looking for. I got my first ticket in 40 years a couple years ago and thought I'd fight the ridiculous speed the officer claimed I was going. The judge came in the room of over 100+, standing room only of us and explained exactly how rigged the system was. When the judge tells you the system's rigged, it's rigged.

I doubt it matters much to them, but I know they've lost more in taxes as I haven't spend one penny in any business there since. If my friends want to meet for lunch, they can make the drive. I'm not going to save them tax dollars by contributing to what they know and admit to being a scam.

·
Proud GCO member.
7,960 Posts
I once had a city official advise me to keep quiet and pay because the judge will increase the penalty for every word I speak other than "guilty". And that if I choose a jury trial, losing WOULD net me time in jail.

I was doing the speed limit dead on. He asked me if I knew why I was being pulled over and I told him, "No, because I double checked when I saw you and I was not speeding." His facial expression told me all I needed to know. He was cold busted and he knew it. But he wasn't man enough to own being caught and he slinked away and wrote me a ticket anyway. 56 in a 45.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
This ain't Mayberry.

·
Cross-drawer
7,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Never heard of that. I would imagine he wasn't pulled over for just that. Was it possibly some other violation, and he was less than polite to the cop, and the cop started "fishing" for other stuff?

I would guess it was either that, or the cop is just a dick and revenue generator.
He was being a butthead. He approached him very aggressively like he had been doing 60 in a school zone at 2:30 in the afternoon. Typical thug with a badge.

·
Senior Mumbler
6,608 Posts
I got one in Thunderbolt in the early 80s for one that went across my line of sight. Paid the fine and got a new windshield. Back then, didn't bother to try and fight it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts