Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been working on improving my grip recently based on what I learned in a class. While the grip itself is now much, much more solid and thus allows more accurate and rapid shooting, it came with one drawback: By moving my left (support) hand higher on the gun, my right thumb now rests against the slide release lever when I shoot. As a result, the slide doesn't always lock back on an empty magazine.

I've been spending a lot of time practicing a grip that has the right thumb move a little outward from the frame of the gun (i.e., farther to the left across the top of my left thumb); but, when firing live ammunition the thumb creeps back against the frame for support.

Can anyone offer advice on how to keep the left thumb off of the slide release, other than "just do?"

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
not sure what kind of gun you are shooting, but I use more of a "point my thumb forward" then "holding my thumb to the left" and that puts my thumb on top of the thumb knuckle of my left hand.

I mostly shoot an M&P

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rankhornjp said:
not sure what kind of gun you are shooting, but I use more of a "point my thumb forward" then "holding my thumb to the left" and that puts my thumb on top of the thumb knuckle of my left hand.

I mostly shoot an M&P
I need to be to the left of what my right thumb thinks is "point my thumb forward." On top of or slightly left of the left thumb knuckle works in practice, but the right thumb moves right against the frame again under live fire. I'm shooting a Walther P99, which has a decent-sized slide release.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
anyway you can post a pic?

If the thumb of my left hand is parallel with the slide and my hand is high enough I can't reach the slide release with my right thumb.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts