Thumb break holster for shrouded hammer?

Discussion in 'Holsters / Method of Carry' started by Adam5, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Who uses a thumb break holster for shrouded hammer revolver? I want a thumb break holster for S&W my 638, but with the shrouded hammer I don't think the regular thumb break will fit right.

I ran across this Bianchi that puts the thumb break around the back of the trigger guard instead of the hammer.

http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/Prod.php?TxtModelID=55L

Here is a picture of the pistol.

[​IMG]

2. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

Adam that I think I would want a holster that would cover the entire trigger, but that's just me. I can't answer about the regular thumb break type.

3. AV8R

AV8R Banned

I have a thumbreak for the wife's 642. It is extremely awkward to release the break. It never gets used, and now that I think about it I believe someone gave this to me. It's made by Shado (never heard of them).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

Hey, you don't need a holster for those ! Maybe a pocket holster.

5. zookeper

zookeper Active Member

i have a bodyguard, i could probably come up with a thumb break retention design that didn't slip over the slope of the frame :mrgreen:

6. AV8R

AV8R Banned

Can't wait to see it! With a forward cant, no?

7. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I have a Blackhawk Serpa for J-frame Smiths, that I use on my model 38 Bodyguard.
    Since it clamps the gun in place using the trigger guard, it doesn't matter how smooth and round the hammer area is.
    It's not a thumb-break, but the trigger-finger release button works good.
    Don't they make concealment holsters with the same kind of retention / release system? If so, that would be another idea.

But really, if Zookeeper will make you one with the thumbbreak, that's the best option!