Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
29,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like throwing knives and axes / hatchets. My favorite throwing knives are actually not made specifically for throwing but they work in that role and they're very tough; they are Glock FM 81 field knives (the Glock FM 78) would be great too, but that's long discontinued. Today I took my never-used AR-15 bayonet (an M7 style) and started throwing it at a tree trunk in my yard.
It handles beautifully. I preferred throwing it by holding it on the blade end and letting it do half a turn but I also practice throwing it grabbing the grip and letting it do one full rotation before striking the target. Both ways are pretty easy.

I goofed around and threw it from several unknown distances to make sure that I slapped it against the wooden tree trunk at odd angles even completely backwards a few times to see if it would get damaged. It did not -- nothing broke, nothing shook loose, the blade did not bend.

But the Glock Field Knives should be tougher than the M7 bayonet, because of the way the Glock's polymer handle is fully wrapped around the tang of the knife, and the fact that it does not have a locking mechanism to clamp onto a bayonet lug. Moving parts = more stuff to go wrong.

Plant Wood Saw Tool Grass
Plant Wood Trunk Tool Tree
Plant Axe Hand tool Wood Tree
Plant Tree Branch Wood Gesture

Attachments

·
Man of Myth and Legend
17,236 Posts
No bayonet lug lock makes it not a bayonet. Figure glock could get that right, even changing the name to field knife.

Really needs a barrel ring and lock lug.

Its not a plastic blade is it?

Nemo

it does not have a locking mechanism to clamp onto a bayonet lug

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
29,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The other day I went to an axe throwing bar / brewery in Marietta.
Chucked a variety of knives and hatchets both my own and some of the hand axes that are loaners from the establishment.

Face Glasses Head Hand Hand tool

A kukri.
Architecture Art Interior design Wood Picture frame

The mandatory safety briefing by a staff member.
Glasses Smile Wood Archery Flash photography

My $7 hatchet bought at Harbor Freight was well balanced and worked very well. I modified this one by cutting off the fawns foot (swelled end of the handlre) but I also tried a handaxe that had a very prominent fawn's foot and it went OK.

·
Old, Slow, Boring Dude
2,676 Posts
We have a place similar to that here in Albany. It's fun and therapeutic (like going to the range).

I remember being fairly good at throwing a steak knife into the wall of the scout hut as a boy scout. Yes, steak knife. Good times!

·
Registered
704 Posts
My daughter started throwing axes at a Renn Fest three years ago (she was six); I'm still impressed at the attendant's lack of concern her first time throwing.

(I discovered I have a talent for throwing spears about five years ago, just one bullseye after another. All those years I missed out!)

Shoe Hairstyle Hat Standing Shorts

DH

1 - 6 of 6 Posts