Three people shot at Atlanta shopping mall

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Dusty, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Dusty

Dusty New Member

:-s

2. Watch_Their_Hands

Watch_Their_Hands New Member

Yet another reason to change and/or repeal completely the Georgia Public Gathering laws.

Malls have never been safe places. BG's know there are always easy targets to be had. Whether in the Mall or the parking lot. :evil:

3. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

I thought malls didn't count as public gatherings....?

I am so confused, when I finally get my GFL I am going to be even more confused!

4. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Not according to the state AG's unofficial opinion.

5. Watch_Their_Hands

Watch_Their_Hands New Member

Technically no, they don't count as Public Gathering places. The problem with Malls, and so many others places in GA, no one seems to care about the AG's unofficial opinion...

6. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Trust me. Never go to Greenbriar mall unarmed. Aw forget that never go to any mall unarmed. A friend was in the mall when one of those nutcases started shooting everyone in sight. He won't say but I think since then he won't go to the bathroom unarmed.

7. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

You talking about the Utah shooting or one around Atlanta?

8. ber950

ber950 Active Member

It was in Dekalb County. IIRC it was North Dekalb Mall(Now called Market Place) although I guess it could have been Northlake. Its been awhile ,over 10 years maybe closer to 20, so the memory has faded. IIRC the nutcase had a history of mental illness and bought his pistol at a pawn shop in Avondale. Man I'm getting old. :oops: I wish I could remember more about this.

9. triggerman357

triggerman357 New Member

I believe you talking about the guy who was released from an Alabama mental hospital in 1990 that went on a rampage at Perimeter Mall. He believed the gov't put chips in his brain the control his thoughts.

10. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

I carry at the mall all the time but I do stay clear of Ruby Tuesdays. How far am I suppose stay clear of Ruby Tuesdays?

11. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Yea it could be Perimeter Mall. :oops: My friend worked out of Dunwoody at the time. 1990 no wonder I can't remember the details. My friend was in the food court when the shooting started. I think that is where the shooting happened. Could not find any old news stories about the event to help refresh my memory.

12. pro2am

pro2am New Member

Funny you should mention Ruby Tuesday's. I didn't know they served booze and went into one on Saturday with my wife. As soon as I saw the bar I told my wife I'd be right back, ran to the car, and left my CZ under the seat. Was it okay for me to leave the gun in the lot? I don't know. Too many questions and too many gray areas. It was a stand-alone restaurant, not in the mall.

I can see myself walking a very circuitous route through the mall trying to avoid the off-limits places. It would be funny if it wasn't so stupid.

13. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Personally, I'd rather break the law and have the pistol on my person then leave it in a mall parking lot.

14. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

Ruby Tuesdays is actually inside the mall as part of the food court. I just don't know how far I'm suppose to stay away from it. I always carry concealed, but it's not worth loosing my carry license.

15. Taler

Taler New Member

What about this situation?

There is a strip mall near here with a liquor store on one cap. Two doors down is a pizza joint that sells beer. The two entrances are separated by no more than thirty feet.

I think I'm legal packing when I stop into the liquor store, but would be illegal if I was (even) driving to the pizza joint. Am I correct?

16. pro2am

pro2am New Member

This really is ludicrous. So if I pick up a pizza from carry-out at a Pizza Hut that served beer, while I was carrying, I am a criminal. But it's okay to go to the Papa John's two doors down for a carry-out.

Same person, same gun, same situation...except for the proximity of alcohol.

You know...why not just make it illegal to drink and carry, like it is to drink and drive, and exclude all this "places that sell alcohol for consumption" nonsense.

For some reason I think of the movie "Reefer Madness" when I think of this stuff.

17. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

OR....let's do the right thing and punish crimes that affect the life/liberty/property of others RATHER than try to preempt crime.

18. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I have only been to Greenbriar once, and I was carrying.

Greenbriar is really strange place.

As for carry in malls, I have never even heard of anyone being arrested for carrying in a mall, but, at most malls, if they see a gun, they will ask you to leave. You will probably be asked in the presence of law enforcement called there just for that purpose.

19. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

[/quote]I always carry concealed, but it's not worth loosing my carry license.

20. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Bingo!