Three Essential Firearms

Discussion in 'In the News' started by OWM, Oct 18, 2019.

1. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

Good read on some basics and a little go forth and multiply to the left.

"Thus, for the first installation of my rebirth as an active Second Amendment advocate, I plan to answer the most basic of all firearm questions, which is: “Which firearms are so essential that every man must have them in order to avoid forfeiting his man card (and thus becoming a Beto male)?”

https://townhall.com/columnists/mikeadams/2019/10/18/three-essential-firearms-n2554937

2. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

Good article and decent recommendations. Other good substitutes for any on his list would work. Once you get all those, a good semi auto rifle such as an AR-15 variant or an AK variant, would be a good addition for home defense and when there is a call for the militia during emergencies.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I haven't read Mike Adams in a long time. Thanks for posting one of his articles.

4. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

I suppose having 1 out of 3 is not too bad. I do have a Ruger 10/22. I totally disagree with the Glock since it is a plastic junk gun. The Remington 870 is just like almost any other shotgun however racking the slide will just give away your position and let the invaders know where you are. Keep the chamber loaded and ready to go just as you would your carry pistol.

5. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

It is an interesting read. Everyone has their own take on the 'three guns to own' thing, based on if they are think of apocalypse type stuff (availability of ammo, spare parts, etc.), home defense, training family members, etc.

I like the idea of a good 12 gauge shotgun and a decent caliber pistol. For the varmint/training caliber I'd probably just to straight to the modern sporting rifle in .223/5.56 since it can be used beyond a training rifle as good defensive and hunting rifle. Obviously the ammo would be a lot more expensive than .22.

For the 12 gauge home defense, the Mossberg 5901A1 Mariner edition spec'd out by the US Navy is my go-to, but the authors comments on the Remmington 870 with interchangeable barrels is a good idea (in my case I already have a Benelli Cordoba for bird hunting).

I can see where some would baulk at the Glock 19 as the go-to defensive pistol, but it is so ubiquitous that, in SHTF moments, parts should be readily available.

I think location may play into this selection process a little too. For example, someone in Alaska may prefer a heavier-hitting .454 Casull revolver so it can be used as a bear defense weapon. Plus, .454 revolvers like the Taurus Raging Judge can shoot virtually any pistol ammo with cylinder adapters or other rounds like .410. A gun that is flexible like that in SHTF moments may be great as you can only carry so much ammo and will have no idea what you can get your hands on.

6. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I disagree that anybody "needs" a pump action 12 gauge shotgun for home defense.
    An AR type carbine with expanding bullets has, for all practical purposes, the same "one shot stop" ratio with any decent center-mass hit.. The AR holds 4 times as many rounds, fires them a lot faster with zero thinking required (just keep pulling the trigger-- no need to cock anything, pump anything, lever anything...). The AR has 10X the effective range of a shotgun, which isn't usually a factor (40 yards vs. 400 yards), but it's a nice bonus, I think.
    The AR has almost no recoil, which means it's easier to shoot fast while still hitting the target.

I've got a lot of experience with 12 and 20 gauge pump shotguns, and I know them well and use them well. But their value to me comes in their versatility, not perfectly filling the role of a CQB weapon. Shotguns are great because they are pretty good at home defense, pretty good for close range hunting (both big game and small game, and varmints and predators, too, within 40 or 50 yards). If I had to limit myself to just 3 firearms, a pump shotgun would be high on the list. But not if HD were my only reason for owning guns, and forgetting all about hunting.

7. gunsmoker

I agree with Mike Adams that a .22 rifle is something to have, both for training new shooters, hunting small game, and just for FUN. Plinking. Casual target shooting to build your skills. Guns aren't just weapons, and not every gun needs to be bought for homicidal purposes (or Mittyesque fantasies).

8. gunsmoker

But if the goal of choosing 3 guns is to prove to the world that you're an Alpha male, the three guns should be:

1-- That 12 ga. pump shotgun, preferably one with a 3.5" chamber to handle the biggest and baddest loads out there. It performs like a 10 gauge.

2-- A model 1911, in .45 acp. Nothing less will do, when you want your choice of pistol to send a message.

3-- The Springfield M1A SOCOM. .308 power in a short package, and tactically tricked-out. Having an AR in .223 says you're jumping on the black rifle bandwagon. Having an AK might mean you only want a stupid-simple reliable gun that any third-world goat-humping peasant can operate.
    Having a CQB rifle in 7.62 NATO says you're to be taken seriously.

9. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

Walter would be dissappointed.

10. gunsmoker

Walter knows that a real operator doesn't need a special gun. He has the skills to make any kind of gun handle any defensive scenario.
    Like John Wick's killing of 3 men in a bar with a pencil-- a ****ing PENCIL.
    Like Bob Lee Swagger taking out those corrupt agents with a .22 rifle and a Coke bottle for a suppressor.

Walter could, with any known make and model of firearm, kill a man with one shot from 300 feet... using his LEFT hand.