Threaded barrel for Baby Desert Eagle .40

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by gojojo47, Nov 30, 2016.

1. gojojo47

gojojo47 New Member

Does anyone have a place they could recommend where I could get a threaded barrel for my Baby DE .40? Online preferably unless someone knows a place in the Augusta area. I will eventually be looking for a suppressor for the same firearm in time once I save up some money. The barrel is of course needed first so if anyone could point me in the right direction or if someone has put a threaded barrel and a suppressor on one how do you like it? I know it's not the ideal gun to do this to but my only other choice would be one of my .380's and I rather get one for a full sized handgun and not a subcompact like my .380's are.

2. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Threading a .40 is not a good idea. It's too thin and would not hold up very well. The same applies to .45 as well. Most places will not even attempt it on either one.

3. ed4

ed4 Active Member

Alot of companies sure sell threaded 40 and 45 calibers weapons H&K and FN are two big ones.

As for finding a barrel for a baby eagle no clue. Would love one for Glock 42 and Walther PK380 though(also no luck).

4. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

You would need to down load a .40 round so far to get it subsonic, that you will no power left.

5. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Making .40 and .45 threaded barrels is one thing. Having them threaded is another story. No gunsmith worth his salt would take a .40 or .45 and thread it. I have 2 Baby Desert Eagle .45's and would not want the barrels cut down enough to thread them. All you have to do is make sure the gun is unloaded and look at how thin the barrel material is. Even if you do cut threads in it they can't be cut very deep.

I suggest that if you want a threaded barrel for a .40 you take it to a good gun smith along with the slide and have the barrel made and the slide modified to fit the heavier barrel.

6. TITAN308

TITAN308 :) :) :)

I thought factory 185gr (Winchester as an example) pushes a little over 1000fps?

But yea... suppressing .40 isn't very popular.

Hell IMO the .40 round is just meh period.

7. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

First of all, you don't "have to" shoot subsonic ammo to have a silencer do a lot of good. I've shot plenty of 115 gr. FMJ ammo (1200 fps) through suppressors, and they make a cap gun sound rather than a ceiling-shaking boom.

Secondly, all standard factory .40 ammo in 180 grain bullet weights (a very common bullet for this round) will be subsonic from a pistol barrel 4" to 5" long. Check out this guy's video where he tests several kinds of .40 ammo, including at least 3 brands that feature 180 grain slugs. Velocity recorded with a chronograph (from a 5" barreled Taurus) ranged from 995-1040 f.p.s. That's going to be subsonic. (Mach 1.0 in dry air at sea level in normal atmospheric conditions is 1,125 feet/ second. Most ammo companies try to load their ammo to produce no more than 1,050 fps just to be on the safe side.)

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkQdUXQvNRU[/ame]

Check out this other guy shooting his .40 pistol suppressed:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcXDiJQWLWg[/ame]

8. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

A 180 grain bullet hitting at 1030 feet per second = 430 foot pounds of energy.

That's about the same as a 115 gr. 9mm +P at 1300 f.p.s.

And that's about the same energy as a .45 acp +P with a 240 grain bullet at 950 fps.

Yeah, I'd say there's plenty of killing power there, with "subsonic" .40 ammo, 180 grain loads.