Thread preview

Discussion in 'Website & Forum Suggestions' started by foshizzle, Jul 22, 2007.

1. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Some message boards have this feature... where you let your mouse hover over the thread title and it gives you the first few lines of the actual first post.

How hard is that to do? Can we do it here?

2. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I don't know, I would have to look and see if someone has posted a mod, if they have it should be fairly easy.

3. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Well thats different...

4. Claire

Claire New Member

woah! :shock:

5. Sharky

Sharky New Member

coooooooooll!!!!!

6. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

:righton:

Not supposed to work when you use "View unread posts"?

Only in the topic lists in the specific forums?

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Maybe he can . . .

8. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

It's not a big deal to me. I don't think I'd use it all that much, but that's just me.

9. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

The original script was not written for use on a search (unread is a search for new posts).

However, after all of ptsmith24's whining and begging I figured out how to adapt it for the search page. So now any search, including "View Unread Posts" will have the thread preview as well.

10. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

in making it work for the search page I figured out how to limit the amount of text shown. The default/current setting is 1000 characters. I think I might chop that in half.

11. pro2am

pro2am New Member

So far its working great.

A word of warning for those browsing at an unfriendly or restricted environement...if the first post has a photo, it comes screaming up in all its glory...scared the crap out of me since I'm at work. I avoid the posts that have photo's in case someone walks by behind me.

12. Cavediver

Cavediver New Member

Gunstar1, thanks for adding this. I love this feature!

13. M249

M249 New Member

I'd like that.

14. rajl

rajl New Member

Oh dear god is this the most annoying thing EVER!!! Is there anyway a user can turn it on or off as part of his profile????

I can't scroll over the forum without popups popping up all over the place. All it does is get in the way of my forum browsin. If I want to know what a thread is about, well isn't that what the "Subject:" field is for?

15. pro2am

pro2am New Member

It only pops up when your cursor is in the topics column doesn't it?

16. rajl

rajl New Member

Which when I search unread posts and scroll down or try to click on a post (by clicking on the subject line), makes things really annoying. If I see a subject line that interests me, I already want to click on it. I don't want to see a preview. And if I accidentally scroll over the subject line, I have an annoying pop up. It reminds me of all those pop up ads that plagued the internet 6 years ago.

17. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

Is this when you first developed this fear of pop-ups? Or do you think perhaps it goes back to your first jack-in-the-box as a child and the evil looking clown that kept jumping out at you? :-k

18. pro2am

pro2am New Member

Don't you joke about clowns Gunns...there is nothing funny about them.

really. :sly:

19. merlock

merlock New Member

:rotfl2: