Thoughts on carrying at polling places

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by glockguy556, Jun 7, 2020.

1. glockguy556

glockguy556 New Member

I know it’s illegal to carry at polling places in Georgia. But the the rabid violent behavior of the left recently and all the craziness going on I wanted to hear people’s opinion on conceal carrying when they vote. I personally think it’s BS we can’t carry when we vote and am seriously contemplating if the risk of getting in trouble for exercising my rights at the polling place To have the ability to defend myself is worth the risk of Possibly getting in trouble vs getting attacked by a deranged leftist at the polls.

2. Smormad

Smormad New Member

We really should be able to carry always.

Theyfish14 and GAfella like this.

3. HJB

HJB Active Member

Why don't you just vote by mail in ballot. That way you can carry to vote because you can carry all the way out to your mailbox.

dhaller likes this.
  4. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

I think you should seriously obey the law as is and seriously join and generously support Georgia Carry if you have not already done so. Just an idea.

5. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Tell me with a straight face that you don't bring your handgun within 150' of your polling place. I'd bet a brand new tube of Bengay that it's in your truck waiting for you to return. I know mine does.

In 2016 when it was Felonia Von Pantsuit against Bad Orange Man, I may or may not have had it in a zippered coat pocket because of the larger crowd. My precinct is usually very small. And I always have a blade on me regardless.

And "Yes" to Georgia Carry!

6. moe mensale

Did you know that only six states ban guns at polling places? Those states are Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana and Texas. Isn't it interesting that five of them are mostly gun friendly states?

7. StarJack

StarJack Well Aged Member

No, I did not know that. What brought that about? Black code era?

8. moe mensale

Voting in person isn't always a panacea but after the stories of voter fraud in 2016 and 2018 I'll do whatever is necessary to get my sorry ass to the polls. I anticipate a bit more voting irregularities this year.

9. moe mensale

I didn't know it either until 30 minutes ago! :lol: As to why I have no idea.

10. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

You know damn :mrgreen: well it is (and more). It is actually about 200' from the parking lot to the door to the polling place. My point was more to having it on you while in the place.
    Course I've always wondered about that 150' thing. US HWY 301 runs about 80 feet from the actual voting machines. Where in the law is the exception for the countless cars and trucks with weapons in them that pass that close to the polls on election day. It can not be left up to common sense that is long dead in our society.

11. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

Why would you ever think such a thing possible in the States Of America?

12. moe mensale

13. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Look up the law. There are certain firearms that don't qualify as a weapon that you can carry in polling places. Pistols of any caliber but with a barrel exceeding 12", and .17 HMR caliber pistols with any barrel length are ones I know off the top of my head. This has been the law since 2010.

Theyfish14 likes this.
  14. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Correct, but the .17 HMR part applies to all firearms, not just handguns (i.e., you can carry a .17 HMR rifle in polling places, too).

Phil1979 likes this.
  15. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Which would also help JRM's bottom line when he has to argue the law against a judge on your behalf.

MSgt G likes this.
  16. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Indeed!

17. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

SBR's and SBS's would also be legal to carry in polling places then, correct?

18. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Like many legal questions, the answer is "it depends."

The difficulty in answering the question is that SBR and SBS are federal designations (GA uses "sawed-off rifle" and "sawed-off shotgun," but those terms are used only for possession purposes. They are not used in Part 4 of the chapter, dealing with carrying). The carrying restrictions in GA are for "weapons" and "long guns." It is not possible for something to be both a weapon and a long gun in GA at the same time. It is possible for something to be an SBR or an SBS under federal law and be a long gun under GA law. It is possible for something to be an SBR or an SBS under federal law and be a weapon under GA law. It also is possible for something to be an SBR or an SBS under federal law and be neither a weapon nor a long gun under GA law. If you happen to have an SBR or SBS under federal law that is neither a weapon nor a long gun under GA law, and it is registered, then there is no law in GA prohibiting taking such device to a polling place (unless of course the polling place is also a school).

19. moe mensale

Drumming up future business, eh? :lol:

20. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

The biggest problem I see with this is the ride and all associated problems that come with it while JRM works to get you off of the charges by ignorant cops and judges who can't read.

Savannah Dan likes this.