Thoughts on caliber for home defense?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by bags, May 18, 2007.

1. bags

bags New Member

Ok, I know this is the "age old" debate, but this is not about me..lol
    I took an x-gf shooting today. She has been thinking about getting a gun for home defense and we are talking about that.. anyway....

I rented a sig .40, sig .22, breatta 9mm, and had my kimber. She liked the .22 the most and was more accuarte with it and she said "it did not scare her as much." lol Anyway, I did my best to offer my opinion and what LITTLE I know about guns and I *think* a .22 is too small of a caliber ( I did not say this hence why I am here..lol ) , she feels comfortable with it and can shoot it and load it without any problems.

So to the question and to get more insight, is a .22 a good home defense round? I know I have read if you are comfortable with the gun and can shoot it, then it will work for you. But, will a .22 handgun work for personal protection?

2. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Home defense?

Rifle or shotgun will do the trick.

.22 will work....but you would have to place them in the right spot. I would imagine this lady would not go to the range all that much and become proficient...so i'd say just have her get a .38 revolver. Almost idiot proof and reliable.

3. tace

tace New Member

I would say a .380 might work best for her. I would consider .380 to be the lowest recoil yet somewhat effective round out there. A .22 is really not a good home defense option.

On that note though, she can get a decent 9mm that will absorb most of the recoil and won't be as scary.

Ammo choice will make some of the difference. If she goes with a .380 she should get some decent low recoil HydraShok ammo with it.

4. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

There's an old addage about shot placement being more important than caliber. That said, in my opinion, a .22 is a little weak for defensive use. I would reccomend atleast a .380, but preferably a 9mm or larger.

On the other hand, she needs something that she is comfortable and accurate with. Besides, a few well placed shots from a .22 is better than nothing at all.

5. Macktee

Macktee New Member

If that's the gun she's comfortable with, it's better than nothing. Most home protection incidents won't involve guys wearing body armour, so a few .22 hollow points to the thorax would slow down most people. If she can unload them all into the gonad area, it would be even more effective...

Her best overall home defence weapon might well be a .410 or 20 gauge shotgun. Light recoil, easy to handle and capable of causing most people to call into question their decision to cause her trouble!

Maybe something like this:

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displ ... um=8001606

6. kkennett

kkennett New Member

There is so much on this topic, it's amazing. My take: 12 ga is the right caliber for the job at home. #1 or #4 buckshot will do the trick without over-penetrating too many walls. 00 and the such go through too much. Slugs are right out. Don't use your hunting gun, as you're tempted to leave the plug in, limiting you to three shells. Save your beautiful over/under for the clays course and the dove field. Instead get a low-end pump action with an extended magazine and short barrel for close quarters for 10 or 12 shells of fun. That way, you can toss it around, scuff it up, rarely clean it, not worry about it, and it'll be there when you need it. Your other prizes can hang out in the gun safe.

7. Taurus

Taurus New Member

My wife wanted the Taurus PT-22 , I made the mistake of buying her a Taurus CIA-850 in .38 sp...Lets just say, the French came out of her because it's never been shot and only dropped once...(she did shoot it once)

I sold it, now she has a PT-22...She is confident with it, and will join me at the range every now and then..>Her fav is still the Marlin Model 60..

I'd rather have her confidence level up enough for her to make repetive shots accuratly than be to skeered to use a gun because of muzzle flash....

Unless your a runner\football player wearing a padded jacket , most people will react when being shot by a .22....

Just a thought....

8. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

That sounds kinda familiar. I used to have a Ruger Security Six, 6" .357. I let my wife shoot it with .38 spl range loads. Later (after I had been shootin git) she wanted to shoot it some more., so I handed it her already loaded and said here you go. Well, I forgot to tell here that it had "full power" .357 loads in it. Real hot stuff, that a friend made me for home defense. She fired it once, nearly dropped it, and proceeded to rip me a new one right there on the fireing line.

9. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

My wife loves to shoot my Glock 19. It's the only thing she will shoot. I use to have a Bersa Thunder 380, but she didn't like it because the slide would bit her on top of the hand. I tried to tell her that she was holding it too high but it never work out for her. I loved to shoot it and never had any problems with it. Lately she has been talking about a .22. Go figure.....

10. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

More important than caliber is finding a firearm that she can operate efficiently and effectively.

11. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

:righton:

12. qre2457

qre2457 New Member

How dare you tell women they can shoot our gonads. Then again, a rubber band to the gonads will take most men down for a bit.

Some of the low recoil loads are nice when you want a bigger bullet without as much kick. I admit that I have those in my 38 derringer but only because it gives a drastically faster follow up shot.

13. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

That's the #1 concern.

Hopefully she could find at least a .380 or a .38 Special she likes. She's welcome to take my wife's .38 Special Taurus revolver for a test drive.

It's a 85SS, like this:
    [​IMG]

14. bags

bags New Member

I lost the shotgun debate, I even showed her how to prop it againist the wall to shoot it if need be.

And she said no to ANY revolver..lol..

thanks everyone for the input. I thought that her willingness to handle, practice, and total comfort may out weigh what I thought as caliber importance. And if we go shooting again, I am going to see what they have in a .380 with ~8-10 rd capacity to see if she likes that.

This being my X, I will not pcik anything for her, can't be the blame for anything...lol

I found the Bretta 92fs to be very nice, I may pick one up if I find a good deal on one.

15. bags

bags New Member

thanks ben, but she is "scared" of revolvers... and any gun she thinks is big or heavy she may not like. That was the heme of the day.. too big, too heavy, too akward.... oh well

16. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Anybody that is good enough to pinpoint shoot the gonads in such a situation is good enough to pinpoint shoot the cranial vault in such a situation.

17. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Check out the Sig P232.

http://www.sigarms.com/Products/ShowCat ... egoryid=10

18. bags

bags New Member

I will let her shoot any SIG I can...lol.. I don't know what .380's ED's rents, if any. But, if they have it, I'll let point it out and see what she says

19. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

The Bersa Thunder .380 is an affordable, effective option. They can be had for well under $300.

[​IMG]

http://www.gunblast.com/Bersa_Thunder380.htm

http://www.bersafirearmsusa.com/detail_bersa380.php

20. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

Let me add that I think a pistol is a better home defense choice than a rifle or shotgun for the novice.

Pistols are easier to handle than long guns in the confines of a hallway or bedroom. It's also easier to find places to practice with a handgun than a long gun (at least in the ATL area), this is of paramount importance.