Thoughts on AR optic mounts

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Adam5, Jul 5, 2007.

1. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I found a good deal on a BSA holographic sight for my AR15. It's normally $129 and is marked down to $49, so of course I ordered it. I ordered acarry handle mount at the same time, then last night I ordered a cowitness mount also. What are peoples thoughts on mounting it? Who prefers which mount?

I'll probably try both and see which I like better. I was also thinking that later I could remove the front sight and add a gas block and flip up front sight.

Here's the sight that I ordered, it should be here tomorrow with the carry handle mount. The other mount will probably get here Mon or so.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/productview?saleitemid=399922&t=11082005

[​IMG]

2. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

I would definitely go with a co-witness mount. If your batteries go dead or your optics fail you would still be able to run on your iron sights without having to stop to remove the optic.

3. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Slightly above co-witness. Clear view of the dot, with the ability to still use irons if the BSA goes TU.

4. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I think I'll try both out. The carry handle mount is a see through, so I can still use irons with it. I am leaning towards cowitness for the holograohic sight and saving the carry handle mount in case I want to add a small scope later.

5. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

I don't know if you or anyone has considered EOTech. I used them. They are spot on. And have quick target aquisition. When I buy a personal M-4, I will be buying one forsure.

6. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I would love to get an EOTech, but my wife would kill me for spending that much on optics.

7. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Going above the carry handle might make it so high that you can't get a good cheek weld to the stock.

8. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Save up. Don't spend money on inferior products when there are better things to be had. :wink:

9. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, poor optics turn out not to be money saved. I usually put MORE into the optics than the gun, not less.

10. kaizer

kaizer New Member

Totally agree, I have made the cheap optic mistake before.

11. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I have thought about spending more on optics. I was also thinking about building a higher end AR next year. I was think about as I have money Armalite flat top upper, 20" stainless bull barrel and a good scope. Then I started thinking about my shooting habits. I normally only shoot at a 25 or occasionally at a 50 yard range. It's extremely rare that I shoot past that, in fact I don't remember the last time that I did. I can't help but think that it would be a waste of money to build and invest that kind on money in a rifle that would be that "over the top" for my shooting habits. The vast majority of my shooting is at a 25yd indoor range.

12. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Here are a few pics with the sight mounted on the carry handle and some pros and cons, keep in mnd that I have not shot with it yet.

Cons: It looks stupid that high
    I can't get a good cheek weld
    It looks stupid that high

Pro: It feels nice being able to hold the stock lower on my shoulder and is more comfortable.

AIM Surplus shipped the cowitness mount today and it should be here Monday. I'll mount it and after shooting with both, see which I like better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]