those with kids?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Claire, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Claire

Claire New Member

the other topic where I posted my pic -- got me thinking

how young did you start your kids at the range - if you bring them?

here's my little guy - I'm going to guess he was about 6yrs old (24 yrs old now) I think it was a great gun to learn on 22 bolt with peep sight. He killed all his ninja turtles ;)

this was a fun range - many times after we got done shooting when it got dark the local cops would come out & do training - they setup a big movie screen - they didn't mind us watching them target practice

[​IMG]

2. AV8R

AV8R Banned

I have a 9 year old, an 8 year old, a 6 (almost 7) yeard old, and a 7 month old... My oldest went to the range at 8. He shot about 100 rounds through my .22 rifle that I've had since age 10. I also let him shoot my XD40 and S&W 20 (with my help of course).

My daughter (age 8 ) and second son (6 going on 7) will be heading to the range this fall. I'm gonna wait until the baby can walk before he goes. :wink:

3. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

No kids for me...it'll be a little while.

4. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

Started mine on air guns at when they were about five to teach safety and basic shooting then moved to .22 rifles when they were ready and so on. Last time out, at the GPO 6/16 shoot, my 14 (just turned 15) year old daughter shot my Garand for the first time. Didn't expect her to shoot it that day but my 18 year old son had just finished shooting it and she taps me on the shoulder and says, "I wanna shoot that one now!" I was a bit surprised and concerned the recoil might be a bit much for her but have never held them back, so I warned her about the kick and told her to make sure it was seated good in her shoulder. I got the rolling eyes and " I know dad"... The first shot surprised her a bit but the pulled it in harder to her shoulder and shot four more before handing it back with a "that's enough for now". I could tell the recoil was getting to her but she never let on. Made me proud as a dad could be!

5. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Started mine at about 5 with a BB gun. I bought a .22 but she hasn't worked up the nerve to shoot it.

6. Mafuta54

Mafuta54 Active Member

I actually started my oldest son (now 27) shooting a .22 rifle when he was almost 2yrs old.

7. spam_can

spam_can New Member

Hey, USMC;

That's one brave daughter you've got.
    My wife (49yo) still hasn't worked up the nerve to shoot my Garand.

8. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

9. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

My little girl is only three; so, she hasn't actually started shooting yet. I don't have a magic age for her to start shooting. It'll be when I feel she is ready based on her ability to follow instructions.

I started at six, but I hung on every word my father said. She tries to charm me to get me to see it her way. Daddy's little girl I guess...

I will let her touch an unloaded weapon as I don't want them to be any kind of a mystery to her.

10. pro2am

pro2am New Member

9 years old for my step-son.
    12 & 13 for my two sons.
    17 for my daughter.

My 9 year old shoots the 22 quite often...the other day he wanted to shoot a shotgun once...so I let him shoot the 20 guage...it was really funny to see his face after the three steps he took back. It'll be awhile before he asks again.

The older boys shoot everything I do. They like it when I give them permission to shoot the 9mm "gangsta" style. It brought a lot of reality to them regarding what they see on TV/Movies and how accurate people shoot with one hand.

My daughter doesn't really like it, but she tried the 9mm, the 20 gauge, and the 22. She likes the 22 best.

11. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Anyone know of a way to get subliminal messages into a woman's ovaries? If so, I'll start working on my fiance's eggs now so my kids will come out in a modified Weaver stance!

:righton:

12. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

:rotfl2:

13. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

When my wife was pregnant, I use to rub her tummy and tell our baby stuff like "front sight, trigger squeeze". :)

We need to get you converted over to an isosceles stance though. :D

14. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Nothing against the isoceles - just thought it would be cool for a 2 minute old to name drop with Weaver.

:wink:

15. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Just name him Weaver. Whatever stance he used then would be a Weaver stance. :)

16. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

6 yoa. It was at the 6/16 GPDO shoot. :wink:

17. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Your wife give in and let him get a Cricket yet. :D

18. Malum Prohibitum

BB gun this Christmas is as far as it will go. I just discovered the Red Ryder is too big for him, so I will need to get a kid-sized one.

19. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Lil Buck is the one I bought my daugher. Its like the pal with a wooden stock. Its the same size or smaller than the Cricket.

20. Malum Prohibitum