This thing can shoot over 40 miles, with accuracy

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by NTA, Oct 19, 2018.

1. 175FO

175FO Member

Forward observer (my job in my old Army days actually). You could of course also use manned or unmanned aircraft.

hma153 likes this.

2. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

Sighting in will take a while. Meantime the enemy moves.
    Good for buildings I guess, but still, other options waste less ammo.

3. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Why do you think Home Depot sells those 14' step ladders? :lol:

I firmly believe the Russians are our friends, contrary to the neocons war mongering. Their advances force us to get off our fat asses and stop resting on our laurels.

4. 175FO

175FO Member

Modern artillery is very accurate especially when you have an observer using a laser range finder and GPS. There are also GPS and laser guided artillery munitions.

5. hma153

hma153 Uninvited Guest

From the time @175FO called in the target, I could calculate and transmit firing data to the gun crews within 8 seconds. Moving target? He'd pick a spot ahead of them and give me an estimated speed, we'd calc the time of flight at the given range, adjust accordingly, and they would meet quite nicely. The Copperhead round - laser guided - had/has a 99.8% hit probability. Modern artillery is not just throwing shells downrange and hoping you dont hit your own. My knowledge is ~25yrs +/- out of date.

6. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

40+ miles of various changing windage...

7. hma153

hma153 Uninvited Guest

You're really having a hard time grasping this, aren't you?
    This is nothing new, except the range. Internal and external ballistics are already accounted for: projectile weight, powder temp, ambient temp of firing location, muzzle velocity deviations for each tube, tube wear of each tube, the spin the rifling imparts on the projectile (called 'drift') that causes it to 'roll' to the right as it flies, not only the wind speed at firing location, but the wind speed and direction of each layer of the atmosphere along the projectile's path en-route to the target, humidity and temperature at those same data points, heck - with time of flights (tof) being many minutes, the earth (and therefore the target) has actually rotated away from where we initially aimed - guess what: we compensate for that as well.

Back to your original question of "who can see the target that far off ?" an FO or forward observer works extremely well, is most desired (because they speak our lingo), and is "the eyes of artillery". But absent a trained FO, I could work with a chopper pilot, fixed wing pilot, regular "grunt" on the ground, a dude in a hot-air balloon, an intelligence report, or anything or anyone who could give me a semi-accurate grid coordinate or enough info for me to determine where the target is on a map. And I can use radar to track my outgoing rounds and provide feedback as to how close we are and walk it in from there if needed. We, the folks calculating the data and those that man the guns, don't need to see the target, and rarely do.

Nice to have another extended range projo in the mix, but once we have the round's specs in the system, nothing different.

8. Groundhound

Groundhound Active Member

From the article linked in the OP (bold mine):

“When you are talking about doubling the range you need a longer tube and a larger caliber. We will blend this munition with a howitzer and extend the range. We are upgrading the breach and metallurgy of the tube, changing the hydraulics to handle increased pressure and using a new ram jet projectile – kind of like a rocket,” a senior Army weapons developer told Warrior Maven in an interview earlier this year.

The modification adds 1,000 pounds to the overall weight of the weapon and an additional six feet of cannon tube. The ERCA systems also uses a redesigned cab, new breech design and new “muzzle brake,” the official explained.

“The ERCA program develops not only the XM907 cannon but also products, such as the XM1113 rocket-assisted projectile, the XM654 supercharge, an autoloader, and new fire control system,” an Army statement said.​

So this sounds like a cross between artillery and a guided rocket launcher. I would think it would need either a forward observer or airborne (or satellite) based designator to be able to hit mobile targets.

9. hma153

hma153 Uninvited Guest

RAP rounds have been around. Cant remember the timeline, but believe it was NATO mandated participating nations have artillery capable of accurately hitting at 30km. RAP was how most achieved this. Had'em in the '80's & '90's; could only be better now.

10. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

GPS takes all the fun out of dodging these artillery rockets. I do wonder how many more modern wars will be fought with these things.

Better off using a $300,000,000 stealth fighter/bomber, if you can find one that works and can travel 40 miles. Better for the mil industries anyway.

11. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

I guess modern artillery isn't great, great, great grandad's 18 pounder! :lol:

12. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Coolest post of the week.

hma153 likes this.
  13. RedLeg17

RedLeg17 Active Member

I did artillery fire direction for 6 years. Even with the stuff we had available in 2001, the standard was first round Fire for Effect. Modern artillery systems calculate almost instantly what was a long and tedious process when we still trained Charts and Darts (manual computation).

hma153 likes this.
  14. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Expand that to the last several posts.

Nemo