This just burns my biscuts......

Discussion in 'In the News' started by tj2000, Aug 10, 2007.

1. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

U.S. Border Patrol Agent Shoots, Kills Suspected Human Smuggler
    Friday, August 10, 2007

EL PASO, Texas — A Border Patrol agent shot and killed a suspected smuggler at a fence that separates the U.S. and Mexico after the agent felt threatened by the man, authorities said Thursday.

Mexico criticized what it described as an "excessive use of force" against immigrants and demanded an investigation.

Jose Alejandro Ortiz Castillo, a 23-year-old man who had been caught crossing the border 28 times since 1999, died in Mexico shortly after the Wednesday night shooting, Border Patrol spokesman Doug Mosier said.

An unidentified agent spotted Ortiz apparently leading two men and a woman through a hole in the border fence just east of downtown El Paso. Ortiz, who was carrying bolt cutters, picked up a rock as the agent was arresting the woman, Mosier said.

Mosier said the agent "felt threatened by the actions of the assailant who was holding a rock and bolt cutters."

The agent fired several shots, hitting Ortiz "multiple times," Mosier said. It was the agent's first fatal shooting.

Marco Antonio Torres Moreno — public safety director in Ciudad Juarez, the city across the river from El Paso — said Ortiz was shot once in the chest and once in the right forearm.

The Mexican government demanded in a statement that "all the weight of the law be brought to bear against the person or persons responsible."

"The Mexican government expresses a firm protest against the use of lethal weapons in the face of situations that do not represent a proportionate risk," the Foreign Relations Department said.

Ortiz had been deported from the U.S. in 2004, Mosier said.

Jesus Castillo, 43, Ortiz's brother, initially acknowledged that his brother had worked as an immigrant smuggler. But after speaking to investigators, he said his brother worked in construction and occasionally crossed the border to look for work in El Paso.

"The only thing I know is that they shot him head on, as if he were an animal, and neither Mexican nor American authorities had the courtesy to notify me about it until noon," Castillo said.

Wednesday night's shooting is the fifth fatal shooting involving Border Patrol agents in border states this year, federal officials said.

:banghead:

:oldtimer:

2. pro2am

pro2am New Member

Why do we bow down to a foreign government that encourages its citizens to break our laws but expects no repurcussions when they are caught?

This makes me sick! Where's the wall? Build it high and build it long...it will save lives.

3. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

Hold on now, nothing in the article says the US reacted to Mexicos BS in any way. And you can bet that if the officer was suspended or anything that the press would be all over it. I'll reserve judgment till I see more...

4. M249

M249 New Member

If Mexico shot an American sneaking into Mexico, I'd expect the US to raise hell. And I'd fully expect Mexico to ignore US hell-raising.

I'm with USMC, I haven't seen where the .gov has reacted or otherwise began criminal proceedings against the agent.

5. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Here is the way it happened in my happy place.
    This keeps me from getting really angry & breaking something at my desk.

6. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

:shock: Was it one of those assault rocks? If so, it was probably a fair fight.

7. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I'm with the two of you. Let them complain all they want. We would do the same thing. If the US Gov. takes action against the agent we have good reason to complain. Until the, they are just doing the same thing that we would.

8. blind_shake

blind_shake Active Member

So the agent shouldve picked up a rock and threw it back?

9. pro2am

pro2am New Member

We already do what the Mexican government wants. Remember the border agents that are now serving time for killing a drug runner? What's that all about.

10. M249

M249 New Member

I was under impression that they got in trouble for not reporting and covering up the shooting rather than the actual shooting itself. Am I mistaken?

The BoP has completely failed in protecting them while in prison. That needs to be addressed immediately. Any time an LEO is convicted, they need to be protected, or perhaps a better solution is an LEO-only prison.

11. pro2am

pro2am New Member

I don't know, maybe that is the case. But you know darn well that the Mexican government has pamphlets showing people how to cross the border into the U.S. So far I haven't heard anyone from this country say a thing about it, let alone tell Mexico to knock it the hell off. I get really irate about this kind of stuff. If you don't want to get shot at...then don't threaten an officer...or break into a country illegally.

12. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

I do?

13. pro2am

pro2am New Member

14. M249

M249 New Member

Oh, I agree that the Mexican government enables illegal immigration, just as I'm aware how hypocritical they are. When one looks at Mexico's treatment of illegal immigrants it's hard to take Mexican complaints of mistreatment very seriously.

Mexico's economy is driven by remittances. That is probably the only thing keeping the present government afloat, so they must encourage the practice to stay in power.

*dons AFDB*
    I wonder if our .gov turns a blind eye to illegal immigration due to another reason. Could it be that our .gov is afraid of the consequences of a Mexican civil war or revolution? They may actually believe unchecked illegal immigration is preferable to a destabilized Mexico. Of course, the result of this policy is stuff like http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,292717,00.html
    *removes AFDB*

15. tace

tace New Member

And that would be who? The Mexican government, of course. So, they are asking for themselves to be brought to justice? That's kinda dumb.

16. AV8R

AV8R Banned

I agree that a long, high wall will save lives.

17. blind_shake

blind_shake Active Member

I think they should bring a law suit against the federal government highlighting the fact that they have laws on the books that would've prevented this but sit back and do nothing to enforce them.