THIS is why I became an instructor

Discussion in 'Training' started by mathar1, Oct 14, 2010.

1. mathar1

mathar1 New Member

A fellow employee has a deaf friend. She is beautiful to say the least and she is also TINY! Add to that she is COMPLETELY deaf. She lives in Atlanta and has been to several ranges (no idea who) that would NOT let her fire a pistol or work with her for less than $100. She came in today and we went through every step of revolvers and semi-auto's and she picked it up like a pro. She put 50 rounds on target ( every one fatal I might add) at 20 feet and this is the first time she picked up a pistol. 8)

If a 4' 10" lady that is deaf , who only wants to learn to be able to protect herself , is not why we became trainers then what is it about? She is the perfect target for criminals and NO ONE else would help her for what she could afford. :evil:

2. Mafuta54

Mafuta54 Active Member

3. lostprofit

lostprofit New Member

So, the truth comes out. You became an instructor to hit on women. :shattered:
    But seriously, that shows what kind of person you are. I'm glad you stepped up (like anyone else should have). :righton:

4. samman23

samman23 New Member

Do you think she is confident enough to practice without an instructor? I don't know if American Classic in Norcross is too far for her, but they do a thursday night ladies shoot free night. She can rent a gun for $7 and buy some ammo from them or bring her own. The guys there are usually helpful too.

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Is it common for ranges to turn away customers? I have never heard of this.

6. Puffyfish

Puffyfish New Member

Stands and applauds mathar1!!
    And just who was it who refused to let her shoot? I want names. [​IMG]

7. mathar1

mathar1 New Member

She said , and this is her version of the story, one would only let her shoot if she brought her own ASL interpreter BEFORE she shot so they could work something out and after everything was set up that range backed out....the second told her she would have to pay for an ASL interpreter and pay for and take a full basic pistol class to prove she was "safe", the third said they would do it but it would take $100 for an employee to walk her through it and stand there over her while she shot PLUS the standard range fees. I asked her which ones and she wouldn't name names.

As for turning people away it happens ALL the time. Act stupid, dangerous or do not follow even the most basic pre-range instructions and I will show you the door in a heartbeat. I have NEVER turned any one with a disability away. I had one lady that physically could NOT hold a pistol but she desperately wanted to shoot a gun before she died(on her bucket list). So I held the gun and let her pull the trigger on a magazine and she was happy. Personally I think the other ranges (if she was telling the truth) just didn't want to take the time to mess with the deaf chick so they quoted her a ridiculous price to drive her off. THAT IS JUST MY OPINION THOUGH!

8. mathar1

mathar1 New Member

I don't mean to come across as some self righteous a$$ but I am also mostly deaf and this hit the wrong chord with me. I am not some saint I am generally an a$$hole but this situation hit home and pissed me off to no end. Sorry if it came across as holier than thou but seeing the look on her face when she hit 50 out of 50 rounds in center mass and NEVER had a safety issue or problem made my day and reinforced that I made the right decision to train because people like her NEED it.

9. livesounder

livesounder New Member

I would hazard a guess that as range commands are typically audible (rather than visual) she was considered a risk to herself and others due to her inability to respond to a command in the event of an emergency, or even a routine directive.

While I'm sympathetic to her plight, I can understand the range operators' position. It is, after all, private property, remember?

10. latter_day_hippie

latter_day_hippie Well-Known Member

Matt -- took me a minute to remember you are in Savannah. If your student is in Atlanta as I am, I'd be happy to take her to the range. I don't sign, but I have spent enough time working in foreign countries to pantomime pretty fluently. :)

11. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

so do deaf people still need to wear hearing protection on your range, Matt?

12. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

couldnt it still cause pain? just because you cant hear doesnt mean you could feel the pressure or have pain???

13. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Proud of ya', Matt! Too many people equate deafness with retardation. It's just that simple.

14. broomhandle

broomhandle New Member

Hi Guys,

If she ever comes to Augusta, I will do a class for FREE! & pay her range fee TOO!
    I'm a NRA instructor, been teaching people from 6 years old to a great 84 years old for over 20 years now.

Just have her contact me in a PM here. I'm sure she reads lips or has a friend that can help out!

Best,
    broomhandle

15. mathar1

mathar1 New Member

Everyone has to wear ears and eyes on the range.

16. samman23

samman23 New Member

it seems that the communication barrier can be broken by bringing a pen and a pad to write on.

17. chainsaw123

chainsaw123 GPDO Supporter

isnt that descriminationof handicapped person? ADA LAWS?

18. Hock25

Hock25 New Member

I met a lady flight instructor recently who taught a deaf gal how to fly. There was some sort of radio-gizmo that allowed her to communicate with ATC, converting voice-to-text or something. Pretty darn cool. Good on you, Mathar.

19. atltech

atltech New Member

mathar1..congrats on being a real person.With this lady living in Atlanta and being deaf,she will be a target.
    It sickens me no one else would see her need for S.D training.Again..job well done! :righton: