THIS... is... my... BOOMSTICK!

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by gsusnake, Jun 21, 2007.

1. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

OK, so I know Ash was carrying a shotgun, but I've got a new boomstick.

Mosin Nagant M91/30.

Matching serial numbers.

Paid $149.95 plus tax and they threw in a box of ammo and a pointy stick for the end for free.

Pics coming in a few.

2. gsusnake

:oops:

How do I take the bolt out of the chamber thingy so I can clean it?

3. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Make sure it is unloaded. Double check that it is unloaded. Check again to make sure that it is unloaded.

With the bolt open, press (hold if pressed) the trigger and pull the bolt out of the receiver. It is put back in by pressing the trigger and inserting it into the received.

If in doubt, check to see that it is unloaded.

4. gsusnake

Awesome. Thanks.

And yeah, I value my hearing, eyesight, and freedom. I'll make DAMN sure it's unloaded.

5. Foul

Foul New Member

6. gsusnake

That rifle had grime older than Macktee in it.

Anyhoo, here's the pics of my new baby.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. gsusnake

There's a ton of Brown Bear out there for cheap.

Also Bulgarian mil-surp at $34.95/300 rds.

How bad is this stuff gonna suck? Should I stick with the Winchester at $22/20 rds?

8. RepeatDefender

RepeatDefender New Member

It's not gonna suck at all, I use 50's production ammo in my Mosin's. They love the old stuff. Some prefer heavy ball, some light ball.

JUST REMEMBER, you must clean immediately if you use the surplus ammo as it has corrosive primers!

9. gsusnake

I'll spray some Windex down the barrel, then clean an hour or two later when I get home.

10. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Stick with the Bulgarian surplus. If you want a light show use the 187 or 200 grain stuff at night !!!

11. gsusnake

I just had to take a hammer to the rifle to get the bayonet off.

Not the rubber mallet. The 18 oz. claw hammer. :shock:

That's what I get for affixing the bayonet while the barrel's hot, then trying to take it off in the A/C.

and my shoulder is sore!

12. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

Make sure and affix th bayonet before you start shooting. I think you are legally required to have it extended when firing the rifle. It looks much meaner with a huge fireball AND a pointy stick at the end.

13. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Why would you have to attach the bayonet to fire?

14. jp233

jp233 hu huh, you said "Member"

the M44's were sighted in and designed to be shot with the bayonet affixed. But then again those were permanentely attached to the rifle. The 91/30's you dont have to have the people-poker on there to shoot it well. The M44's have a short barrel such that it will vibrate and deflect when shot, and the bayonet provides a little stability + balance.

The M44 bayo gets caked in powder residue when you shoot it though.

Make sure to spray the bolt face and chamber area with Windex after you shoot the corrosive stuff.

Oh, and Brown Bear or Silver Bear stuff shoots much bigger fireballs than any surplus stuff I've shot, 147gr to 183 gr. I set some grass on fire with an M38 using Brown Bear stuff.... KAAAAAA-BOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooommmmm !!!!

15. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Sweet!!

Where did you get it from?

16. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

It is the law, ptsmith24.

17. jp233

jp233 hu huh, you said "Member"

i've found that a slip-on recoil pad will help for hours of enjoyment, for all who shoot Mosins and Mausers and the like.

i got a Bear Creek one with 4 diff size foam pads you can put in the neoprene sleeve, its great. $20 at m1surplus.com

18. RepeatDefender

:minigun: Where are the pics?!?!?!?!

19. gsusnake

Mission Essential in Hinesville.

I went down there to shoot my pistol at the indoor range and was looking around at the guns while waiting on a slot at the range. Saw this cute Russian chick for $149.95 and she just sweet-talked me with her accent and came home with me.

RepeatDefender -- They're linked from ImageShack, above. Tiny little thumbnails leading to full-size pics.

20. RepeatDefender

Nice one!

I have been sweet-talked by Russian chicks 7 times (guess I'm a sucker for the looks and accent) and by a cute little Hungarian one time.

Gotta watch out for the Russian's, before you know it you'll be bringing more home. And then you'll want SKS and AK and Dragunov, etc. :D