Thinking about taking up hiking..

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by ZTC, Oct 17, 2010.

1. ZTC

ZTC Member

Like I said I'm thinking of takimg up hiking but know nothing really about it. Nor to I know of many places to hike. I've heard of the Silver Comet trail but ALL I know about it is that it can be very dangerous. Is there any good trails in N Ga I should look at? I definitely want to be armed while out so the trail gotta be carry friendly. Like I said I know nothing about hiking and I'm just looking for some good spots to try. Also id love to hear any tips about hiking! Thanks

2. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

3. Wolfram

Wolfram New Member

When you say hiking, do you mean out in the woods on nature trails, or just walking along paved trails like the silver comet trail? These would require different sets of equipment.

But no matter what route you choose, get great shoes, good socks, and a back pack that evenly distributes the weight over your upper body. Also look into a Camel Back hydration system.

4. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

The Silver Comet Trail is crowded on the eastern end, in Cobb County. It's like being in Piedmont Park in Atlanta. Out west near Rockmart or from there to the Alabama border, it's more wild and people are few and far between.
    But it's a paved trail, as wide as your driveway, pretty level, and straight as an arrow for miles at a time. Might get a little boring for a "hike." Great for bicycling though.

Yeah, people have been robbed on the SCT. Usually at those areas where the Trail passes by some low-rent apartments and housing projects and run-down rental homes occupied by families that have teenage wanna-be thug boys.

And of course that woman was raped and killed by a convicted sex offender a few years back around Mile 17.
    She managed to fight him for half an hour and bite his willie nearly off, even though she was unarmed an alone.
    Just think what she could have done to him if she had brought her friends Smith and Wesson to the fight!

5. AEKDB

AEKDB New Member

x2

Good shoes are not always the most expensive hiking shoes. The wife and I have been through many different brands. She likes Merrell ($$$) while I will wear nothing but NB running shoes.

Kennesaw Mountain has a lot of trails. The Silver Comet is very flat. If you stick to well mapped trails their is no real danger other than trip and falls. Wonder off trail and things can go very bad especially in the Smokies.

6. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

There are a ton of hiking trails in North Georgia. The easiest to recommend is the Appalachain Trail. From Canton you are about an hour from it. There are hiking trails closer to Canton though like Pine Mountain, though I've never hiked there.

Here is a great resource for north Ga trails. http://www.sherpaguides.com/georgia/mou ... tline.html

If you like wild country the Cohutta Wilderness north west of Ellijay is awesome. Jack's river is clear as glass you can see fish swimming several feet below the surface.

You can carry anywhere in Georgia now except COE land.

Keep in mind that this is hunting season, so bright colors might be a good idea.

I've met you and you're a big guy, so sturdy boots(not heavy, just good ankle support, and a steel or plastic shank) will help.

As for gear a small backpack, with plenty of water, rain shell, some food, should do for a day hike.

If you want to do overnights, then a trip to REI is probably in order. If that's what you are going to do, say so and I'll write a bunch more.

Edit: Not Pine Mountain but Pine Log Mountain near Waleska. Pine Mountain is near Warm Springs and is also a great hiking destination.

7. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Not to advocate trespassing or anything, but those railroad tracks that run through Canton up to Blue Ridge, GA are rarely used. Beautiful nature scenes for miles in either direction from Canton, and you feel like you're in the middle of nowhere, even though in reality there are always homes, businesses, and roads close by, often just out of sight through the woods or over the next hill.

Just for the record, do NOT walk on other people's property, even if it is a short line railroad. It's dangerous and illegal.
    And rumors that I've walked every inch of that railroad line from Blue Ridge to the headquarters of the Georgia Northeastern Railroad in Marietta are simply unfounded. That guy just happened to look a lot like me, that's all!! Is it a crime to look like some other dude who flagrantly trespasses ???

8. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

i buy new balance shoes....most of them are still made in the usa

9. groats

groats New Member

A couple of trails not too far from Canton:
    http://www.mountainstewards.org/

It's a good time of year for colorful scenery. Just remember to wear orange, and keep an eye out for bears.

10. ZTC

ZTC Member

Any robbery, rapes or killings happening much on the Apalachin trail? Ill be hiking so I want woods and dirt not getto and concrete. It'll be me and my girlfriend so id like to not have to worry as much that someones gonna try to rape her! But of course i know it still could happen.

11. AV8R

AV8R Banned

The exclamation in your signature should serve you well on the trails. :wink:

12. ZTC

ZTC Member

I can carry at any state park or trail that isn't COE land right? Like Amacollola Falls park and trails? I'm almost positive I can just wanting to make it clear.

13. krmbigmac

krmbigmac Active Member

We recently had our Jeep ride in this area. No issues and legal.

14. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

http://www.sherpaguides.com/georgia/mou ... l#SPRINGER there is a map on up the page.

Edit: The only trail that leaves Amicalola Falls is the 8 mile approach trail for the Appalachain Trail. It is a trail with not many views. I would focus on points of interest along the AT. Day trips of no more than 6 miles round trip, until you get into shape. Take your time, stop and rest. Springer Mountain can be accessed rather easily, but isn't a long hike unless you loop to Three Forks using the Benton Mackaye Trail, and back to the parking lot using the AT. Also Blood Mountain is a great day hike, especially on a clear day after a cold front clears the air.

15. groats

groats New Member

Yes it could and it has. Murder too. Take your gun.

16. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

read the book "a walk in the woods" by bill bryson

17. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

+1 on good shoes and break them BEFORE going to hike.
    Second thing is good socks and then...good clothes...hehehe

We hiked for 5 years while living in NH EVERY weekend from April to November in Vermont, NH and Taxachussets.

I think we are unofficial "members" of the 3000 feet club for New England. We were able to go on top of Mount Monadnock (3,165 feet) in 55 minutes starting from the parking area.

If you are inexperienced, join a club or go with someone who knows. You will avoid plenty of bad experiences. I can't count on my fingers hands the number of time we crossed path with people who broke bones or were in difficulties because of heat or cold or broken equipment. Thanks God, we were never the firsts, so we did not have to be the first respondent.

Even with our experience, we messed up a couple times. The worse one was in middle summer a cold front came, heavy rain and then it was about 30 degrees colder after it. We did not have changes or warm clothes because it was a half-day hike. When we got to the car we were shaking like we had Parkinson disease. I drove dressed in boxer only (her dressed a little bit more) and our clothes were drying caught in the windows and outside the car...hehehehehe

Things that worked very well for us: Plenty of water, filter straw AND little filter pump, Mountain house dehydrated food (Frankly, when we were buying it, I never realized it was that survival type of food they were selling at the sport store. I just realized that last year that we ate plenty of it), pack first aid kit and plenty of changes. ALWAYS pack a warmer pouch. Even in summer. And of course, we always had rescue flairs and ways to make fire.

Thank you

18. Rhodes

Rhodes New Member

Start slowly, I see a lot of people over do it on distance and get discouraged.
    Hiking is just walking in a better enviroment, so don't worry about a lot of specialized gear to begin with.
    Comfortable shoes and socks are important. My choice has evolved (over 15 or so years) from boots for hiking, to trailrunners, to normal running shoes (and sometimes sandals). Runners offer less support and protection for your ankles, but in turn they allow your ankles to get stronger and force you to pay more attention to where you step. The only time I wear boots is if I'm using crampons.

Wear clothes that are comfortable and won't chafe.
    Depending on how far you walk a backpack will be needed. Again, nothing special required. Padded straps are more comfortable, a sternum strap helps keep the pack snug, but isn't a must. Hydration bladders are nice, but something simple that will hold a few water bottles and a snack is all you need to get started. I always recommend some sort of first aid kit.

I really advise against dropping a lot of $$$ on gear until you spend some time on the trail.

This is a good time of year to start hiking as you don't have to deal with the heat and humidity, bugs and snakes.

Most state parks and wma's have hiking trails. National forest land is full of them. Just be aware that it is hunting season and you should plan accordingly if you choose to hike somewhere that it is allowed. At the least wear a cheap orange vest and avoid trails before 10a.m.

Fort Mountain State Park has a couple of nice easy trails that lead to great views.

19. cpelliott

cpelliott New Member

One of my favorite places to hike without driving too far is East Palisades. It is just inside I-285 near I-75. Nothing like the crowded trails between Powers Island and Columns Drive.
    Trail map
    Map of area