Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

Thinking about getting a SIG P229 in 9mm

992 views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  bbruce 
#1 ·
What should I know? School me on this weapon, please.

Thanks!

#2 ·
I have the Sig 229 in .40 DA/SA, not the DAK. I bought from Clyde Armory in Athens with factory night sights and 3x 12 round mags for $679 or $689 (can't remember exactly). This was within the past couple of months so the price should still be good. They had 9 mm also. The night sights are really bright.

I have always been a Glock guy but love this gun. I wish I would have purchased it sooner. It is a little "fat" in the grip and is of course heavier than the Glocks. The larger grip doesn't bother me as my primary carry is the G30 (.45).

I took it to the range right away and the first two mags gave really tight groupings (for me anyway) right out of the box.

I highly recommend this weapon.

I looked at the P239 but it wasn't much smaller (for concealment). The single stack mags gave significantly less round capacity, and the front of the grips were sort of squared off instead of rounded so they were less comfortable to my hand. I have shot the P226 in 9mm and it was really sweet too, just too big of a frame for my preference.

Legacy38 shot it on Sunday - see if he chimes in here.

#3 ·
This is an awesome firearm. I have a 229 with a .40 and a .357 sig barrel. I've never had any problems with it. I can shoot a tighter pattern with it than any other similar sized auto. I highly recommend it.

#4 ·
I really like my .40 229R. I am able to shoot much better groups with it than with my XD-40. It's a sig rebuilt and certified used gun (not that you can tell it's used) that I got for $575. They had 2 of them at Ken's Trading. One plain black no rail and mine a two tone railed model.

#5 ·
Clyde also has an OK selection of used Sigs. I bet you could pick up one and have the service done someone on this board was talking about. They stated Sig will take them in and install night sights, a good cleaning, and adjust/replace springs, etc. for about $100 plus shipping. Just an idea.

#6 ·
Thanks everyone, I think I will be acquiring one soon. Can't decide on 9mm or .40, though...

I am thinking the 9mm, for cheaper ammo. But I may change my mind.

Thanks again!

#7 ·
RepeatDefender said:
Thanks everyone, I think I will be acquiring one soon. Can't decide on 9mm or .40, though...

Thanks again!
If you venture to Athens to look at Clydes Armory, PM me. I will meet you are ARC or the Firing Lane and you can try my .40 P229.

#8 ·
RepeatDefender said:

Thanks again!
If you get the .40, you can get also shoot .357 Sig from the same gun by a simple switch of barrels. Two calibers in one handgun design. :D

#10 ·
I all goes according to plan, I will be the new owner of a used Sig P229 9mm next weekend! :D
Can someone tell me the difference in a black box Sig and a blue box Sig? I know the red box is a CPO Sig, but have no clue on the other two. The Sig that I am getting has no acc rail, but I like my guns without them anyway.

Anythinh else I should know before I get this one?

Thanks for all the previous posts, they have been helpful in the decision making process.

#11 ·
RepeatDefender said:
I all goes according to plan, I will be the new owner of a used Sig P229 9mm next weekend! :D
Can someone tell me the difference in a black box Sig and a blue box Sig? I know the red box is a CPO Sig, but have no clue on the other two. The Sig that I am getting has no acc rail, but I like my guns without them anyway.

Anythinh else I should know before I get this one?

Thanks for all the previous posts, they have been helpful in the decision making process.
Congrats! The 229 is a great gun. You should note that the black box will be darker than the blue box.

#17 ·
I agree that Sig makes a great weapon and my 239 that morphed into a Revolution was a great gun, and the revolution is even better (even though it is an ancient nearly 100 year old design). The most accurate pistols I have ever fired. I shot a friends HK a week or so ago and neither him or I could hit within the same 2" twice from about 15 yards. The HK baffled us to fire. Then I shot his Sig Revolution and I couldn't keep the holes from touching each other. Nearly the same as my 239 that got traded in the next day for my own stainless steel Sig Revolution Target model.

I want to get another Sig P series pistol but don't know which I should get. I am leaning towards the 229, but the 226 looks nice as well. What do you guys think the most significant differences are betwen the 229 and the 226. I will probably go .40 and/or .357sig. I have plenty of 9mm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.