Georgiapacking.org banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Custom User Title
1,663 Posts
Welcome to the club! :welcome: I have a Glock20SF sitting on my nightstand every night.

If it has finger grooves, then it is a gen III. I would find it hard to believe you would find a NIB GEN II.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I just shot one today and really liked it. There was hardly any recoil either. Honestly, I couldnt really tell a difference between it and the Glock 22, but I guess if I was shooting one and then the other I probably could?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ya everything I've heard about the recoil of a 10mm, glocks seems to have it down pat. Does anyone here use a after market barrel or recoil spring? What's the reason? I've just read alot of posts of people changing them but I've not heard a real reason yet. Also besides rolling my own or buying GA Arms where can I find good defense / possible hunting (Double tab, Buffalo bore etc)
loads for a descent price?

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,887 Posts
I'd like to buy a 10mm one day. Right now I'm digging the 357Sig for right now... so I guess that will do for while.

·
68,147 Posts
ZTC said:
Does anyone here use a after market barrel or recoil spring? What's the reason?
Barrel:
The Glock barrel does not support the case well at the ramp area. On nuclear loads, you get a malformation of the case where it bulges. Due to the shape, they call it a "Glock smiley."

Aftermarket barrels can add support to that area, allowing for more powerful loads. They can also have traditional rifling, removing any worries over shooting lead loads in Glock's barrel.

The stock barrel is fine for commercial load levels.

Spring:
The aftermarket spring slows down the slide with higher power rounds. Glock uses the same weight spring in all of its guns. In other words, a 9mm and .40 will have the same spring as your 10mm. That does not tell the whole story, because a comparison of your slide and the comparable slide from a .45 will show different construction. The 10mm slide has increased mass. Installing a 22 to 24 pound spring will slow down the slide. Brass will not fly as far. Some claim reduced felt recoil - I have my doubts about that one. A few have claimed that the high pressure loads lose 50 to 100 fps with the stock spring. I have my doubts about that one, too, but I have not conducted the experiment, and at least one person over at Glock Talk has confirmed the velocity change in his gun.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
ZTC said:
Does anyone here use a after market barrel or recoil spring? What's the reason?
Barrel:
The Glock barrel does not support the case well at the ramp area. On nuclear loads, you get a malformation of the case where it bulges. Due to the shape, they call it a "Glock smiley."

Aftermarket barrels can add support to that area, allowing for more powerful loads. They can also have traditional rifling, removing any worries over shooting lead loads in Glock's barrel.

The stock barrel is fine for commercial load levels.

Spring:
The aftermarket spring slows down the slide with higher power rounds. Glock uses the same weight spring in all of its guns. In other words, a 9mm and .40 will have the same spring as your 10mm. That does not tell the whole story, because a comparison of your slide and the comparable slide from a .45 will show different construction. The 10mm slide has increased mass. Installing a 22 to 24 pound spring will slow down the slide. Brass will not fly as far. Some claim reduced felt recoil - I have my doubts about that one. A few have claimed that the high pressure loads lose 50 to 100 fps with the stock spring. I have my doubts about that one, too, but I have not conducted the experiment, and at least one person over at Glock Talk has confirmed the velocity change in his gun.
If you plan on reloading used Glock brass for any of the high-pressure calibers such as 10mm or 40SW or variants thereof, an aftermarket barrel with a fully supported chamber is HIGHLY recommended. For me personally, it is a MUST if you are reloading for Glocks with those calibers to reduce the possibility of a case rupture. I am cautious when it comes to reloading ammunition, and I use an aftermarket barrel for Glock 9mm as well if I plan to reload the used brass.

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
Due to the shape, they call it a "Glock smiley."
Pregnant brass syndrome

There is also a die available which irons this problem out so it does not affect the reloading of it.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Seems like that would cause it to become week.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I have a Glock 29 SF and a Dan Wesson Cbob 10mm Classic which is a 1911 Bobtallied Commander. The G29 SF is smaller and lighter than the DW Cbob both shoot very well but my Cbob is thinner and shoots better with it's Custom Schueman Match barrel and you can not beat a professional trigger job on a 1911. There just is no comparison between a Glock trigger and a good 1911 trigger!

10mm is a great round, it just depends if you want to pay $ 550 for a Glock or over 1K for a 1911! :righton: You will actually get what you pay for. My G29 SF is worth every penny of the $ 550 and my DW CBOB is worth the $1,200. of its cost, but I would not pay $1,200 for any Glock! :sly:

I would stay away from an EAA Witness link below is a good 10mm site.

http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/10mm-W ... 81791.html

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,695 Posts
Hickok45 on Youtube found the Wolf barrel for the Glock 20 to be more accurate (when firing 230gr lead hardcast gas checked rounds) than the stock barrel. It also provides more headspace support as I believe MP mentioned.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Match10 said:
Malum Prohibitum said:
Due to the shape, they call it a "Glock smiley."
Pregnant brass syndrome

There is also a die available which irons this problem out so it does not affect the reloading of it.
Roll sizing is what the professional reloaders will do to re-size the lower third of the case that your normal dies won't touch, but it ain't exactly cheap at $500+ for the DIY system plus dies.

I'd love to know of an elegant, low-cost way to do this using a standard press die only........

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
Push-through die. Less than 50 bucks.
Thanks for pointing this out! I must have been asleep when Redding announced the G-RX dies last year. I was seriously considering going in on a joint buy for a CasePro-100 at one point, but this is much better. I will definitely look into getting a carbide G-RX, again thanks a bunch! :righton:

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
21 - 36 of 36 Posts