Thinking about a new gun...

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by geaux_tigers, Jul 23, 2006.

1. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

I am considering buying a new gun now that my GFL is in hand. I would like something that is easily concealed. If I decide to carry at work, a non-carry friendly environment (printing while I'm taking a meeting with a C-level exec is NOT acceptable), I'm going to need something smaller than my G23 or G27.

Here is what I'm considering at this point: Kel-Tec P-3AT, Kahr PM-9, and possibly Rohrbaugh R9, though it seems a bit pricey.

I'm a little concerned about reliability of the Kel-Tek. Also, the effectiveness of a .380 is a concern; not sure if carrying Corbon ammo could mitigate that short-comming. On the other hand, the P-3AT is small. I'm leaning toward the PM-9 at this point.

Thoughts? Anyone shot all of these? Anyone know a dealer that will let me test fire these?

2. artz

artz New Member

Well...In Columbus at Shooters, they might have one you can rent, but I'm not sure. They do have plenty of guns to choose over.
    The other place I have heard about is in Fayetteville, its called Autreys Armory. They might have'em.
    Go to the Ranges, Dealers, and smiths' index and cruise a few more threads there to help you. :)

3. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Active Member

Bersa Thunder .380ACP

I feel pretty confident with either the Corbon 90gr. +P load or the Remington 102gr. Golden Saber.

I would carry Corbon rounds in the summertime, people wear less layers of clothing and the Corbon round is lighter and faster. Then in the colder season I would switch to the Golden Sabers with it being a heavier bullet, it would be better for penetration for when people are wearing thicker or more layers of clothing.

4. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

Thanks. I'll look into the Bersa.

5. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

Some people have claimed reliability was an issue with the Kel-Tec pistols, but I generally don't put a lot of stock in vauge negative posts. I'm more concerned about people saying that they were unhappy with the trigger pull of the P-11.

Ah, yes. Wolf ammo. Been there, done that.

And that's the way I'm leaning right now. I've handle the Kahr PM9 and I was pleased with the way it felt. I'm willing to spend the $$$ if I feel the gun is the best choice for me.

Yeah. I like .40 balistics, but my G27 is enough of a handfull. I can't imagine .40 in a smaller package. :shock:

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

My P3AT has been reliable so far and does not print in a Galco steerhide pocket holster.

. . . for when I am not carrying . . . :wink:

7. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

Thanks for you input guys. I really appreciate it.

Today I made a decision. I am now the proud owner of a Kahr PM9. :D

[​IMG]

I went out to Ed's and they had a PM9, P3AT, and Bersa .380 on hand. The Bersa seemed a little too big. The P3AT seemed like a really nice little gun, but the PM9 won me over in the end; however, I'm definitely going to keep the P3AT on my wish list. :wink:

As the picture shows, I picked up a De Santis pocket holster to go with the PM9. I'm not sure whether I really like it yet and I know it will not work with all of my . I will probably order either a SmartCarry rig or a IWB holster. Anyone have suggestions regarding ankle holsters?

8. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

9. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

10. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

It might have been, but I apparently do not have permission to enter the site to which you provided a link.

11. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

You probably have a login cookie stored in your computer that logs you in when requesting the image.

We don't have that so we get a denial.

12. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

I don't think that's it. I get the missing image icon in IE when I look at the post from my laptop just like you guys. If I right-click on the missing image icon and get the URL to the image (from the properties dialog), I can open a new brower and access the image by pasting the URL. Not sure how there would be any cookies on my laptop as that's not the machine I used to upload the image.

Can you guys see the image if you follow the link? It is the same link that was used in the image.

13. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

no I get a

14. magnum62

magnum62 New Member

I've becpme a fan of the Makarovs, good firepower for the money

15. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

I edited the post so that the picture should work now... I hope...

16. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

17. grayelky

grayelky New Member

I personally like Kel Tecs, but I do not think you can go wrong with a Kahr. It is a little heavier and bulkier than a P3AT, but then it is in another firepower class.

When you get ready to shoot a P3AT, PM me. You can try mine, and my P40 and my P40 w/ the .357 Sig barrel if you want to.

18. RepeatDefender

RepeatDefender New Member

How much did you end up paying for your Kahr PM9? I am interested in one also. My closest choice for dealers is Shooters in Columbus. They usually have a couple of Kahr's but I have never handled one. I want something along the lines of a pocket pistol and I like the idea of being able to stick a 9mm in my pocket!

19. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Good Choice

I wish I had bought a Kahr PM9 instead of my Taurus PT-111. They're similar in length and height, but my Taurus is thick, like a Glock. At the time, I thought the higher capacity magazine would make the extra thickness worthwhile. That's true for belt carry, but not for pocket or belly band / smartcarry. I wish I had gotten a single-stack weapon, and I'll gladly limit myself to 7 rounds.

A friend of mine bought a G27, carried it for several months (less and less frequently as time went by), and then decided to sell it and buy a Kahr PM9. He not only wanted a thinner gun, but also a more manageable caliber that was cheaper to shoot. I think he made a wise move.

P.S. Does your Kahr have night sights? My friend's does, and so does my Taurus. I think they're very useful for a self-defense weapon, since so many deadly encounters occur at night and/or in dimly lit places.