Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying a new gun now that my GFL is in hand. I would like something that is easily concealed. If I decide to carry at work, a non-carry friendly environment (printing while I'm taking a meeting with a C-level exec is NOT acceptable), I'm going to need something smaller than my G23 or G27.

Here is what I'm considering at this point: Kel-Tec P-3AT, Kahr PM-9, and possibly Rohrbaugh R9, though it seems a bit pricey.

I'm a little concerned about reliability of the Kel-Tek. Also, the effectiveness of a .380 is a concern; not sure if carrying Corbon ammo could mitigate that short-comming. On the other hand, the P-3AT is small. I'm leaning toward the PM-9 at this point.

Thoughts? Anyone shot all of these? Anyone know a dealer that will let me test fire these?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Well...In Columbus at Shooters, they might have one you can rent, but I'm not sure. They do have plenty of guns to choose over.
The other place I have heard about is in Fayetteville, its called Autreys Armory. They might have'em.
Go to the Ranges, Dealers, and smiths' index and cruise a few more threads there to help you. :)

·
Professional Troll
2,148 Posts
Bersa Thunder .380ACP

I feel pretty confident with either the Corbon 90gr. +P load or the Remington 102gr. Golden Saber.

I would carry Corbon rounds in the summertime, people wear less layers of clothing and the Corbon round is lighter and faster. Then in the colder season I would switch to the Golden Sabers with it being a heavier bullet, it would be better for penetration for when people are wearing thicker or more layers of clothing.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ICP_Juggalo said:
Bersa Thunder .380ACP
Thanks. I'll look into the Bersa.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GAGunOwner said:
Ever thought about the Kel-Tec P-11 9mm?
Its a great gun.
Some people have claimed reliability was an issue with the Kel-Tec pistols, but I generally don't put a lot of stock in vauge negative posts. I'm more concerned about people saying that they were unhappy with the trigger pull of the P-11.

GAGunOwner said:
Only problem was when I shot dozens of rounds of Wolf ammo in it without cleaning.
Ah, yes. Wolf ammo. Been there, done that.

GAGunOwner said:
If you want to go 9mm and you are willing to pay a little more I'd get the Kahr 9mm. It is a little smaller than the Kel0Tec but it seems to be heavier.
And that's the way I'm leaning right now. I've handle the Kahr PM9 and I was pleased with the way it felt. I'm willing to spend the $$$ if I feel the gun is the best choice for me.

GAGunOwner said:
With my carry experience, I've been wanting somthing a little more powerful than a 9mm. I'd consider getting the Kahr .40 or .45. I'd probably get the Kahr .40.
Yeah. I like .40 balistics, but my G27 is enough of a handfull. I can't imagine .40 in a smaller package. :shock:

·
68,926 Posts
My P3AT has been reliable so far and does not print in a Galco steerhide pocket holster.

. . . for when I am not carrying . . . :wink:

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for you input guys. I really appreciate it.

Today I made a decision. I am now the proud owner of a Kahr PM9. :D

I went out to Ed's and they had a PM9, P3AT, and Bersa .380 on hand. The Bersa seemed a little too big. The P3AT seemed like a really nice little gun, but the PM9 won me over in the end; however, I'm definitely going to keep the P3AT on my wish list. :wink:

As the picture shows, I picked up a De Santis pocket holster to go with the PM9. I'm not sure whether I really like it yet and I know it will not work with all of my . I will probably order either a SmartCarry rig or a IWB holster. Anyone have suggestions regarding ankle holsters?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
You probably have a login cookie stored in your computer that logs you in when requesting the image.

We don't have that so we get a denial.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gunstar1 said:
You probably have a login cookie stored in your computer that logs you in when requesting the image.

We don't have that so we get a denial.
I don't think that's it. I get the missing image icon in IE when I look at the post from my laptop just like you guys. If I right-click on the missing image icon and get the URL to the image (from the properties dialog), I can open a new brower and access the image by pasting the URL. Not sure how there would be any cookies on my laptop as that's not the machine I used to upload the image.

Can you guys see the image if you follow the link? It is the same link that was used in the image.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've becpme a fan of the Makarovs, good firepower for the money

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gunstar1 said:
geaux_tigers said:
Can you guys see the image if you follow the link? It is the same link that was used in the image.
no I get a
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /photos2030/5/40/85/77/31/0/31778540510_0_ALB.jpg on this server.
I edited the post so that the picture should work now... I hope...

·
Registered
131 Posts
I personally like Kel Tecs, but I do not think you can go wrong with a Kahr. It is a little heavier and bulkier than a P3AT, but then it is in another firepower class.

When you get ready to shoot a P3AT, PM me. You can try mine, and my P40 and my P40 w/ the .357 Sig barrel if you want to.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
How much did you end up paying for your Kahr PM9? I am interested in one also. My closest choice for dealers is Shooters in Columbus. They usually have a couple of Kahr's but I have never handled one. I want something along the lines of a pocket pistol and I like the idea of being able to stick a 9mm in my pocket!

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,248 Posts
Good Choice

I wish I had bought a Kahr PM9 instead of my Taurus PT-111. They're similar in length and height, but my Taurus is thick, like a Glock. At the time, I thought the higher capacity magazine would make the extra thickness worthwhile. That's true for belt carry, but not for pocket or belly band / smartcarry. I wish I had gotten a single-stack weapon, and I'll gladly limit myself to 7 rounds.

A friend of mine bought a G27, carried it for several months (less and less frequently as time went by), and then decided to sell it and buy a Kahr PM9. He not only wanted a thinner gun, but also a more manageable caliber that was cheaper to shoot. I think he made a wise move.

P.S. Does your Kahr have night sights? My friend's does, and so does my Taurus. I think they're very useful for a self-defense weapon, since so many deadly encounters occur at night and/or in dimly lit places.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts