Thinking about a Comp-Tac

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by mmmTang, Feb 26, 2007.

1. mmmTang

mmmTang Member

Eventually I'm going to get a holster for my G17 so I can carry concealed, but I'm not quite sure about which one to get. I think I like the comp-tac holsters more than the standard, more mass produced gun store holsters, but I haven't actually gotten to try one yet. Anyone out there have an opinion on comp-tac's products?

Anyone tried the Infidel? I've been debating between the Infidel and the ctac for a while now. The Infidel seems like it might be just a tad thicker, but if I'm starting out with a G17 then maybe that extra little bit of thickness won't make much of a difference. And the Infidel has different clip options and configurations.

I won't be carrying until I take some classes to edumacate myself a little more, but that doesn't mean I can't buy more stuff now. More stuff kicks ass!

2. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I have a CompTac Shirt Tucker for G17 love it. It took a few tries to find just the right spot for it, but after that it was fine. I'm looking at ordering a CompTac for my PPK/S soon. I know that Rammstein us happy with his CompTac C-Tac also.

3. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

I have a CTAC for my USP.

I think Comp-Tac is a great company with great products.

4. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Adam5 is correct.

I have the CTAC and I love it. The CTAC does everything I need it to do and then some.

Since you are trying to decide on the two let me help.

What are your needs? Do you need to very discrete about carrying? Do you need to tuck your shirts in most of the time? If so, then go with the CTAC. Because you can make the pistol virtually invisible. And if you need even more concealability you can do the tab reversal mod and drop the holster down into your belt line.

Do you need a good IWB holster that you can easily don/doff? Go with the Infidel. Besides, when you get the infidel you basically get the option to go with every other type of holster that Comp-Tac makes (minus the CTAC).

Ideally, what I plan to do in the future is have three holsters (all comp-tac) Their OWB paddle for range and day time daily carry, the Infidel with the clip for night time daily carry, and the CTAC with the tab mod for ultimate concealability.

Also, I highly recommend Comp-Tac because they have great customer service.

5. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Actually, I think I'm going to get a CompTac Pro Under Cover for the PPK. It's more compact than the C-Tac. I'm going to have the Shirt Tucker for my G17 upgraded to a C-Tac

6. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Adam5, you may want to get the Infidel instead. I've heard other people say that the clip broke and since it is part of the holster itself the whole thing must be replaced. The Infidel doesn't have that problem, and with the single clip configuration is is more-or-less the same holster.

7. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

They don't make an Infidel to fit a PPK. That's what I was originally looking for. I was told that they don't have the right mold for it.

8. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

I've broken two tandard clips on my CTAC. I've finally learned my lesson not to slide them over the belt, but to thread the belt through them.

9. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Ah, ok.

I'd give 'em a call to double check if you haven't already.

10. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I posted on their GT thread asking about it, when I bought the PPK.

11. mmmTang

mmmTang Member

Thank you Rammstein! That's very helpful. I liked the Infidel because it was a couple bucks cheaper and could mimick all the other holsters by buying the different mounting points. But, it didn't seem like it could imitate the CTAC as well as it could imitate the others, and I really like that one for some reason. I guess I'll have to buy the CTAC first. The CTAC seems like it would do a better job of concealing a G17 from your description.

What is this tab reversal mod? I haven't seen that mentioned anywhere.

12. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I aim to please.

I know you won't be disappointed with it.

http://californiaccw.org/posts/list/793.page

13. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

I have both the CTAC and their OWB holster with both the paddle and belt attachments. I have them to fit my medium sized Glocks. I also have a couple of their mag holders (with the dual retension screws). Their products are of good quality and I have been very pleased. I am not a big guy and I feel very comfortable that the CTAC does a great job of concealing the medium framed glocks. On range day I use the OWB holster. When not at the range I drape my shirt over it and no one has said anything though I'm convinced they could tell if they were aware/trying.

14. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

BTW, I lined the backside of my CTAC with that Dr Sholes (sp?) moleskin stuff that they sell to prevent blisters. I think it makes it a little more comfortable.

Also, I have the C-clip mounts. They are ok but I think I may order some of the standard style; the C-clip style sometimes doesn't stay on my belt really well.