Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
PawPaw x 3
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They, as in the Military, the CIA and the FBI.

When I read this article, having some knowledge as to recent current events, one statement, above all others, caused me to pause and think a bit more on recent current events.

"They may try, but they're not going to f***ing succeed," Milley reportedly told his deputies. "You can't do this without the military. You can't do this without the CIA and the FBI. We're the guys with the guns."

Trump: Pelosi 'Known Nutjob' | Newsmax.com

·
Man of Myth and Legend
14,813 Posts
And thats actually a bit scary. Sure sounds like an election turnover in East Germany way back when.

Nemo

Reactions: twood and Bkite

·
Registered
14,952 Posts
The Post reported that according to the book, Milley and other military officials feared Trump would attempt a coup to stay in power and considered resigning.

"They may try, but they're not going to f***ing succeed," Milley reportedly told his deputies. "You can't do this without the military. You can't do this without the CIA and the FBI. We're the guys with the guns."
Milley seems to have forgotten that the President, whoever it may be, has command authority over the military. The President is the Commander-in-Chief over the military, all of it, making the military subordinate to the civilian leadership. If Milley, or any of the Chiefs of Staff or the Secretary of Defense, has issues with the President, he can bite his lips and carry on or do the honorable thing and offer his resignation. He does not have the authority to override the President.

Milley also seems to have forgotten that operational command goes from the President to the Secretary of Defense and from the Secretary of Defense to the individual combatant commanders. It does not go through the Joint Chiefs at all (see the Goldwater-Nichols Act). SecDef Austin is, unfortunately, no better than Milley. Trump was still President until Noon, January 20, 2021. When the military started militarizing DC for Biden's inauguration, Trump could have made them stand down and if they refused he could have fired everyone starting with Austin until he found someone who would obey his commands. Trump could have done the same thing with the FBI and the CIA starting at the top and working down. For whatever reasons, he didn't.

All three organization, the military, the FBI, the CIA and a few others, at least at the higher levels, have lost all moral authority and respect over and from the majority of the citizens of America because of their actions over the past 5 years.

Reactions: Bkite and OWM

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
Milley took an oath to defend the Constitution, not the President. He also understands his obligation to not follow an illegal order.

·
PawPaw x 3
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Milley took an oath to defend the Constitution, not the President. He also understands his obligation to not follow an illegal order.
Defend the Constitution? Like if our Government made laws and policies that weren't Constitutional and that undermines the Sovereignty of the US of A and individual American citizens? If the President and other branches of government acted in an Unconstitutional manner, he would then be bound to uphold his oath? Interesting!:unsure::cool:

·
Registered
14,952 Posts
My money is on all (or most) of them at the top following illegal orders if they came from the same team they considered themselves part of. The only question remaining is which of their peers and/or subordinates would then step up and do the right thing?

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
The only question remaining is which of their peers and/or subordinates would then step up and do the right thing?
To the best of my knowledge these are current. Notice the difference.

The Oath of Enlistment (for enlisted):

"I, _, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

The Oath of Office (for officers):

"I, _ (SSAN), having been appointed an officer in the _ (Military Branch) of the United States, as indicated above in the grade of _ do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign or domestic, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office upon which I am about to enter; So help me God."

·
Registered
14,952 Posts
To the best of my knowledge these are current. Notice the difference.
As it should be. Officers have a higher authority and responsibility to disobey unlawful orders that violate the Constitution, whether given by the President or any other officers. Back in your day it happened at My Lai if you recall.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts