Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the dude that stole a personal check from my mailbox!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man steals checks from mailboxes
LOWNDES COUNTY, GA (WALB) â€"A Valdosta man is accused of stealing checks from from mailboxes in Lowndes County.

27-year old Joshua Barton is charged with theft of checks. Lowndes County authorities say he took the checks people wrote to pay bills out of their mailboxes near Hahira.

Authorities say he used brake fluid to wash out the information and make them payable to himself.

They say he cashed them at banks in Decatur and Tift counties. Barton is in the Lowndes County Jail.
http://www.walb.com/Global/story.asp?S=13325888

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
Great job, LEOs! :righton:

·
I watch the watchers
12,883 Posts
Sweet sweet music :righton:

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Story I got from my contact person was that his parole officer was eating in a restaurant in Lake Park when he walked in. They made eye contact and he bolted. Got the K-9 after him.

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
Did you ever resolve the situation with Walmart or the collection agency?

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RedDawnTheMusical said:
Did you ever resolve the situation with Walmart or the collection agency?
In the process. The investigator from Tift County said she did hear where Walmart does sell their customer's debts to an agency. I enclosed a copy of the report and sent it to the collection agency. They will have to eat that one or take it up with God!

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Use this:

http://www.helpfordebtors.com/debt-collection-faq

"He immediately started devouring as much information as he could about the three chief federal laws that protect consumers from collectors: the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA). In the next four years, Cunningham accused debt collectors of misrepresenting the amount he owed (an FDCPA violation that entitles a consumer to collect up to $1,000). He sued over prerecorded and auto-dialed calls to his cellular phone (a TCPA violation worth up to $1,500 per call). He also filed complaints that agencies failed to investigate his claims that his credit file contains inaccurate information, a breach of the Fair Credit Reporting Act worth up to $1,000 per violation. All told, he filed 15 other lawsuits in federal court without the help of a lawyer, earning himself settlements totaling more than $20,000."
I would think you are in an even better situation because you really don't owe anything but they are harrassing you anyway.

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
hmmm, now if he could just collect those judgments

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Note to criminals...you can use brake fluid to remove writing from a check...thanks mr. Reporter for including that little bit of info.

Anyway, glad they caught the guy.

·
Registered
438 Posts
phantoms said:
Since he stole from mailboxes, isn't it a federal offense?
Yes it is, the police should contact the Postal Inspectors Office.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts