They Detained Him Anyway . . .

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Malum Prohibitum, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

So why did they detain him for over an hour?

http://libertyismyhomie.blogspot.com/20 ... quest.html

2. Axeman

Axeman New Member

Because they "felt" like it. :evil:

3. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Because they could!

What did that asshat at the gun show say? "On the street, I AM THE LAW!!!"

:jail:

4. Malum Prohibitum

But in the courtroom you ain't lookin' so hot . . .

5. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

Do some police officers feel citizens wont complain or know the law? Just wondering. One would like to think that if a citizen went through all the hassle of getting this license, that citizen might have a clue about the laws....then the officer might actually think hmmm shouldnt harass this person.......

Wait dont answer that I was assuming toooooooo much on both parts!

6. Malum Prohibitum

I think it is a safe assumption. Most people carrying a firearm have a guilt complex and do not follow through on holding law enforcement accountable in the rare circumstance that a law enforcement officer violates their rights.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Rare?

I think it is funny, the only people more up to date on criminal and case law than criminals is....... GFL Holders.
    \
    LEO's come in a clo... Well... Just come in third.[/code]

8. Malum Prohibitum

Sure. It has never happened to me; It has never happened to Rammstein (unless that is why we have not heard from him in a while);When Firearmz got the police called by a neighbor for open carry they responded to the call but took no action . . .

gsu_snake had one stop for open carry, prompted by a store manager's call, but that is the only one I can think of, and he was not detained but for a minute.

Anything else?

I would say that is rare given how many hundreds of people post here and how many of them openly carry at least occasionally.

Police officers, by and large, are not out to harass peacable citizens carrying a pistol. They could care less. Many of them even support it.

9. tace

tace New Member

Don't forget Mike (it was Mike, right?) from Grant Park who got jumped by multiple officers for OC in his own neighbourhood.

I don't OC in my own neighborhood because I have a ton of "not so bright" neighbors (most of them renters) who probably would run for the phone for a "man with a gun" call at the first sight. And I don't want APD wasting time talking to me when they are already stretched too thin trying to fight real crime in town.

10. Malum Prohibitum

Well, I did forget about that one, but, again, they let him go with a minimum of hassle. We have not had anything posted here like what we read in Virginia (guns pointed at head, detaining for one hour with threats of future harassment, and actual arrests).

11. Macktee

Macktee New Member

I think MP's correct on this one.

LEOs rarely hassle middle-class, well-dressed, white people, but we've all heard about people getting hassled for "driving while black". A good friend once told me his stomach knotted up each time his teenage son left the house, especially at night and very especially when he was with his buddies...

It does happen, but most cops are trying to do their jobs properly and I doubt any of us would complain if a LEO stopped one of us for OC (or printing) as long as the stop was polite and reasonably short.

Now, if the stop was similar to some I've read about here, I don't know for sure what I'd do, but I think I'd complain.

:shakehead:

12. Macktee

Macktee New Member

I just remembered something else about my buddy with the teenage son, who's now married and has a couple of kids...

Willie loved his car. His son did as well and frequently borrowed it when he was going out trying to pick up girls. Willie broke down and sold his car after the third time his son was pulled over because it "looked suspicious" for a black teenager to be driving a new Jaguar!

I know what some of you are thinking, but it wouldn't have done any good for the kid to drive his mom's car as she also had a Jag...!

The kid didn't have any problems, or much fun, driving his dad's Mercury Marquis......

:lol:

13. Malum Prohibitum

Well, my first question would be, "Am I free to go?" If the answer is no, then that officer better have, at a minimum, a reasonable suspicion that I have committed a crime, or, yes, I would "complain."

But then, no officers have ever stopped me absent reasonable suspicion or probable cause, so this is not an issue in real life for me.

14. Axeman

Axeman New Member

That reminds me of a public service announcement, that Chis Rock gave.

***Warning bad language***

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gCCjFbFXn8

15. merlock

merlock Active Member

:rotfl:

16. merlock

merlock Active Member

My latest contact with LEO's (remember, I almost exclusively OC):

Went to the local gas station tonight to fill up. Went inside to get cigarettes. Only one clerk working :roll: 10 people in line. 2 of Warner Robins finest in this line.

I walk in, and get in the back of the line. Some soccer-mom type came in after me, and proceeded to the cops-pointed at me and breathlessly said, while pointing at me..."that man has a gun!" :shakehead:

The cops turn toward me...we make eye contact, and they see my firearm. We nod at each other. The cops turn to soccer mom and said:

"And your problem is?" =D> :woohoo: :righton:

Mom mumbles something :screwy: and left. Cops got their coffee...I traded good nights with them, and they left.

17. Axeman

Axeman New Member

Man that was refreshing. :D

18. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

:woohoo:
    Would you mind filling in a few details? Gun, holster, mode of dress? I'm just trying to picture this situation. :D

19. Guest

Guest Guest

With only the bad frequently posted, it becomes easy to imagine cops being the oppressors of the second. I stand corrected on this one.