Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
68,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oops!

Dog shot. Mama and baby injured by bullet fragments. Oh, you mean they put the wrong address on the warrant?

Oops! :shock: :oops:

Wrong house. Deputy shoots dog, injures mom and child.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sheriff's Office: Address mixup preceded deputy shooting
Code enforcement team at the wrong house

By Ellen Thompson
Record Staff Writer
May 05, 2007 6:00 AM

STOCKTON - The deputy who accidentally injured a mother and child and shot a dog in east Stockton this week was at the wrong house, the San Joaquin County Sheriff's Office acknowledged Friday.

The deputy was part of an eight-member code enforcement team called Tuesday to Munford Avenue on a complaint about drug use in a trailer near the 2706 Munford Ave. address.

"The paperwork did indicate this address," sheriff's spokesman Deputy Les Garcia said Friday.

Garcia said the original complaint was for a house in the 2600 block, but a computer search produced the wrong address.

Kari Bailey, 23, and her 5-year-old daughter, Hayley, were hit in the legs with bullet fragments and suffered minor injuries when their dog was shot in the paw on the front stoop. Garcia said the dog had threatened a deputy.

The Baileys' house is among several rental houses on a single property. The Baileys have said since the incident that deputies were at the wrong door.

Until Friday, the Sheriff's Office said the code enforcement team was at the right address. Garcia said team members have since been interviewed by investigators, and he and Sheriff Steve Moore learned their findings Friday.

The Baileys could not be reached to comment on the development, but their lawyer, Michael Cardoza, said the news concerned him.

"If they go to the wrong house, the people there are not expecting police, and certainly not with weapons," he said.

Garcia released a few more details of the shooting Friday. He said 19-year veteran Deputy Terry Breitmaier fired a single shot at the dog's paw and that pockmarks in the house door jamb were from bullet fragments.

Garcia said Breitmaier was positioned outside the house with a handgun drawn before the dog approached him.

Members of the team reported seeing what appeared to be someone running to the back of the Bailey house when they arrived. A sergeant and deputy went to the back while Breitmaier stood out front, Garcia said.

The abatement team addresses unsafe living conditions and includes armed deputies for the safety of environmental health workers, Garcia said. A team includes a sergeant, two deputies, two environmental health workers and two code enforcement officers, and often a California Highway Patrol officer.

Cardoza said the family has not filed a lawsuit, but he is asking the Sheriff's Office to pay the dog's veterinary bills and to preserve all the evidence they collect in the investigation.

Daisy, the Rottweiler mix who was shot, returned home Friday after being treated by a veterinarian.

Contact reporter Ellen Thompson at (209) 546-8279 or [email protected].

·
68,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yeah, they used "code enforcement" as an excuse to get in. :roll: so UPDATE: No warrant.

·
68,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"The abatement team addresses unsafe living conditions and includes armed deputies for the safety of environmental health workers, Garcia said."

Yes, sir, whatever you say, sir!

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
"The abatement team addresses unsafe living conditions and includes armed deputies for the safety of environmental health workers, Garcia said."

So, where were the abatement workers that needed to be defended from this marauding canine?

·
Registered
997 Posts
i would sue them till i owned the whole dang dept.... I don't have kids and my dang dog it the only family I have here....

mess with me or my dog and it's :shoot:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
It's much easier to whip out the sidearm than to dispense a quick dose of mace I guess.

Cops shoot dogs all the time in Georgia. You don't hear about it on the news. They shoot enough people that it isn't really newsworthy.

You won't get crap if they shoot yours. Maybe 200$ to buy another. They are property.

If I were the homeowners I would have shot back. I know I'm law-abiding.

Here is another.

Officer Shoots Dog While Looking For Water-Balloon Thrower

Dog was leashed. Many cops are pus :censored: 's when it comes to dogs.

http://www.newsnet5.com/news/13219954/detail.html

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
mzmtg said:
Malum Prohibitum said:

So, where were the abatement workers that needed to be defended from this marauding canine?
Thats what I was wondering. What the hell were they trying to protect! I am sick of hearing how cops treat DOGS. I wonder what would happen if one of their dogs lunged at me and I shot it in self defense!

I agree with foshizzle on this one. Cops need to get a grip when it comes to dogs.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
foshizzle said:
You won't get crap if they shoot yours. Maybe 200$ to buy another. They are property.
wonder how that would turn out after I get my shrink on the stand to explain why I've had to have a few hundred hours of therapy because I was so attached to my beloved pet that had been with me for 12 years & I dressed him up in cloths & took him everywhere with me & I was basically as attached to this animal as I would have been to a child.

(no i don't dress my dog up. That is the stupidest thing ever but you get my point.)

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
foshizzle said:
Perhaps, perhaps not. A started English lab from championship bloodlines, plus all the expenses of acquiring the dog could run one $5-10K. If they're at my home illegaly like this, I'd get every dime of that. I don't think juries of 12, even in conservative jurisdictions, look kindly on armed officers at their property shooting their animals.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
If someone shot my dog in the paw, then I would shoot them in the foot.

Twice.

I've wondered what would transpire if the SWAT team got the wrong address and broke into my house. I would probably end up dead and take none (zero) of them with me, but from the time someone kicked the door in until they shot me I would be firing in their direction through doors and walls (the wife and dog sleep in the room with me... plus I'm sure of my target and what's behind it when I shoot randomly :wink:)... then my wife would get to sue them and she would be rich for the rest of her life... she could even afford to dress the dog up in a suit complimented with MP's tie(I've never seen his tie)... at least to my funeral...

Right MP?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
ahlongslide said:
... then my wife would get to sue them and she would be rich for the rest of her life... she could even afford to dress the dog up in a suit complimented with MP's tie...
Don't forget to fix the dog up for maximum sympathy in the courtroom! :p

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Sharky said:
I am sick of hearing how cops treat DOGS. I wonder what would happen if one of their dogs lunged at me and I shot it in self defense!
If you did that, you would be charged the same as if you shot a cop as police K-9s are considered officers just like people. Shoot a cop, go to prison. Shoot a cop dog, go to prison. Pretty simple.

Cops shoot your dog, maybe a "sorry 'bout that", but probably not even that much...

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
So Mac, you are telling me that police dogs are "officers" but citizen's dogs are property?

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Sometimes they burn the dogs to death:

http://www.reason.com/news/show/33289.html

Government Goons Murder Puppies!
The drug war goes to the dogs.

In the course of researching paramilitary drug raids, I've found some pretty disturbing stuff. There was a case where a SWAT officer stepped on a baby's head while looking for drugs in a drop ceiling. There was one where an 11-year-old boy was shot at point-blank range. Police have broken down doors, screamed obscenities, and held innocent people at gunpoint only to discover that what they thought were marijuana plants were really sunflowers, hibiscus, ragweed, tomatoes, or elderberry bushes. (It's happened with all five.)

Yet among hundreds of botched raids, the ones that get me most worked up are the ones where the SWAT officers shoot and kill the family dog.

I have two dogs, which may have something to do with it. But I'm not alone. A colleague tells me that when he and other libertarian commentators speak about the 1993 raid on the Branch Davidian compound in Waco many people tend to doubt the idea that the government was out of line when it invaded, demolished, and set fire to a home of peaceful and mostly innocent people. But when the speaker mentions that the government also slaughtered two dogs during the siege, eyes light up, the indifferent get angry, and skeptics come around. Puppycide, apparently, goes too far.

One of the most appalling cases occurred in Maricopa County, Arizona, the home of Joe Arpaio, self-proclaimed "toughest sheriff in America." In 2004 one of Arpaio's SWAT teams conducted a bumbling raid in a Phoenix suburb. Among other weapons, it used tear gas and an armored personnel carrier that later rolled down the street and smashed into a car. The operation ended with the targeted home in flames and exactly one suspect in custody--for outstanding traffic violations.

But for all that, the image that sticks in your head, as described by John Dougherty in the alternative weekly Phoenix New Times, is that of a puppy trying to escape the fire and a SWAT officer chasing him back into the burning building with puffs from a fire extinguisher. The dog burned to death.

In a massive 1998 raid at a San Francisco housing co-op, cops shot a family dog in front of its family, then dragged it outside and shot it again.

When police in Fremont, California, raided the home of medical marijuana patient Robert Filgo, they shot his pet Akita nine times. Filgo himself was never charged.

Last October police in Alabama raided a home on suspicion of marijuana possession, shot and killed both family dogs, then joked about the kill in front of the family. They seized eight grams of marijuana, equal in weight to a ketchup packet.

In January a cop en route to a drug raid in Tampa, Florida, took a short cut across a neighboring lawn and shot the neighbor's two pooches on his way. And last May, an officer in Syracuse, New York, squeezed off several shots at a family dog during a drug raid, one of which ricocheted and struck a 13-year-old boy in the leg. The boy was handcuffed at gunpoint at the time.

There was a dog in the ragweed bust I mentioned, too. He got lucky: He was only kicked across the room.

I guess the P.R. lesson here for drug war opponents and civil libertarians is to emphasize the plight of the pooch. America's law-and-order populace may not be ready to condemn the practice of busting up recreational pot smokers with ostentatiously armed paramilitary police squads, even when the SWAT team periodically breaks into the wrong house or accidentally shoots a kid. I mean, somebody was probably breaking the law, right?

But the dog? That loyal, slobbery, lovable, wide-eyed, fur-lined bag of unconditional love?

Dammit, he deserves better.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
mzmtg said:
Like I said in another thread.... Sheriff Joe Arpaio is a threat to freedom in America (or at least Arizona). He is nothing but a tyrant.

Sic Semper Tyranis

·
Romans 10:13
4,632 Posts
It's for the DOGS.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts