Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran into a young man earlier today that gave me just a little bit of hope in the younger generation of today.

I usually don't write about these anymore, because they happen really often, but this one was unique.

I was sitting at the check out line at our local grocery store, open carrying as I usually do, and this young man bagging groceries asked me a question while I was talking and joking with the check out girl. Something I often do up there.

I thought he asked me what kind of holster I had, but he actually asked me what caliber it was.

I replied and then started to talk guns with the young man. He knew a lot about guns for his age, and seemed like a fairly intelligent and respectable young guy.

He told me that he couldn't wait to turn 21 so that he could go and get his GWL and carry a pistol. He is only 17 years old. He said he wanted to carry his father's judge. I told him that was a good choice, and I told him about the 28 gauge that may actually still make it into production, he hadn't heard about it yet.

Anyway, his father is into guns and carrying, hunting, so I told him he was extremely lucky to have a father like that, as I didn't have one that believed in carrying a firearm for self-defense, even though we had guns and hunted our whole lives. I told him I only found out about the license process and found out that I could get one when I was older in life.

I then brought up GCO, gave him a card, and I told him about the organization and he was really impressed. I asked him to join, and he said he would go join on the internet, and he would try and get his father to join as well.

I also told him it was never too early to get started to try and make our carrying rights better, so that when he got to the age of carry he'd be able to carry in more places.

It sure did make me feel good to know there are young people out there like this today that are interested in carrying the torch into the future, and carrying a firearm for self-defense and fighting for our rights to carry.

Anyway, just gave me a bit of hope, and for 17 years old, I'd say that young man certainly has his head on straight.

I'm sure to run into him again at the store, and when I do, I'll see if he and his father joined. I may even ask him to see if he wants to go shooting sometime out at a range.

Does anybody know the rules for age out at the Charlie Elliott range? Would I be ok with bringing a 17 year old out there and let them shoot my pistol and long guns as long as I was right there? Would he have to be 18 before I could take him to the range for shooting? I've never really thought about it before.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Some peoples children..........ARE the exception to 'todays' norm.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I figured you probably have to be the legal guardian or something like that.

Does that all go away at 18 for handguns, or do they still have to be 21 to shoot a handgun, even if you are right there? If that's the case, I could always take him when he's 18 to go shoot my long guns, I would guess.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
goldshellback said:
Some peoples children..........ARE the exception to 'todays' norm.
Yeah, I was happy to meet a kid like this randomly. Gives you a little bit of hope.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
*Like*

Always good to hear there's a few kids out there with their heads squarely on their shoulders. Sadly, they aren't the ones we hear about the most. :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts