"THE UNABRIDGED SECOND AMENDMENT"

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by S&W 40, Aug 10, 2007.

1. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

I am not a english major (or even minor) but I found this interesting.

2. Wiley

Wiley New Member

I once looked up a sentence diagram and gramatic explanation of the Second. The phrase: 'A well-regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State,' is a nominative absolute, which is a complete sentence having no gramaitical connection to the rest of the sentence.

'[T]he right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.' is also a complete sentece.

In the written form of the time an explanitory sentence or phrase was generally used giving rise to: 'A well-regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.'

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

That is already one of my favorites, and I use it all the time. So, only people who are already well educated have a right to own and read books under this provision?

And then they must keep them only at government owned libraries?

It really gets people thinking who believe that the Second Amendment applies only to those in the National Guard.

May a parent allow his child to read a book, consistent with this language?

Thomas Jefferson wrote, "I cannot live without books."

4. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

I had an English teacher who was anti-gun say that this was a dependant clause and that it meant nothing unless attached to something else, such as the dependant clause, or second half of the amendment. She was very much anti-gun but agreed that the 2A was valid and that if you take it at face value and based on the English language and commonly accepted usage, the right did belong to the people and not to the militia.