The Swiss trust their citizens

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Macktee, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Macktee

Macktee New Member

I've been thinking about getting a new (old) rifle, a Swiss Schmidt-Rubin Karabiner 31 (K31), so I've been doing some research on them. I found this page:

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/ka ... /index.asp

It's very, very interesting! Points out how little crime there is in Switzerland, yet how heavily armed the population is. Every fit and able man of military age keeps a government-issued, full auto assault weapon (and a closet-full of ammo) in his home, yet they don't have blood running in the streets from road-rage incidents. They don't have gang wars. They don't have unbridled domestic violence resulting in dead spouses. They don't have much crime of any sort!

Here are some excerpts of that web page. I suggest you might enjoy reading this in its entirety.

" This is perhaps a good time to pause and explain to the reader the Swiss concept of neutrality.

There were huge tensions between Switzerland and Germany during the 1870’s with Germany casting covetous eyes at the little nation with a view to incorporating it into the Second Reich. The Swiss unified their armed forces under a Federal system so that all equipment, armament and instruction would be done by the central authority.

In the years past the Swiss citizen had been required to provide his own arms. This was now changed so that the citizen-soldier kept his government issued arms, ammunition and uniform at home in case of call-up.

For instance, when World War 1 broke out the entire Swiss army was mobilized, they could field almost half a million men out of a population of approximately three and one half million.

A ‘cult of marksmanship’ had also been encouraged. There were very few villages in Switzerland that did not have their own rifle range. Each Sunday they would reverberate with rifle fire as the good folk honed their skills.

In addition, the mountain passes which led into Switzerland were mined, and still are. Thousands of strong points with known fields of fire for mortars, machineguns and field artillery were constructed with the view that the Swiss were not about to give up their democracy easily.

World War II did not escape Switzerland entirely. Allied bombers often did not notice that they had crossed the Alps, and bombed what they thought was Germany. Hundreds of allied fliers were interned in Switzerland when they were forced to ditch there. The same treatment was applied to French foot-soldiers who escaped there following the disastrous 1940 German invasion of their country.

Nazi Germany considered Switzerland a thorn in their side. The Swiss were really Germans and should be part of the Third Reich. Having eluded the Second Reich, the Swiss had no desire to be added to Hitler’s conquests. The Germans had made at least three plans to invade Switzerland, but all were abandoned when wiser heads prevailed. The massive losses which the Swiss would have incurred and their irritating stubbornness assured that war would go on for a long time.. A three front war was not on the German agenda, even Hitler could see that.

Switzerland is the oldest democracy in the world. It is a country where the state trusts its citizens with the custodianship of the worlds’ most modern assault rifles, and does not fear them. The truism which states, "fear the government that fears your guns", does not apply to the Swiss.

They are only too aware that the reason they still have their independence is because they have the ability to defend themselves, and the willingness to give their lives in that defense.

As that eminently practical Italian civil servant, Nicolo Macchiavelli, said so many years ago about the Swiss, “... They are most armed and most freeâ€. They still are."

2. blind_shake

blind_shake Active Member

A Swiss told me that they say, An assault rifle in every attic.

3. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

The K31 is very fun to shoot.

4. pro2am

pro2am New Member

I've been thinking about getting one of these rifles also. My only worry is that the ammo (7.5MM) seems to be hard to find, and expensive when you do find it.

Good info by the way.

5. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

ALL ammo is expensive :p

I'm just frustrated trying to find a decent deal on .223 right now. Or 5.56NATO, but that's more expensive.

6. RepeatDefender

RepeatDefender New Member

The K-31 is a GREAT rifle. Nearly every one of them was so well cared for that the bores on these surplus guns are immaculate. They were and still are capable of shooting MOA.

I have a walnut stocked 1941 K-31 and I wouldn't give it up for anything.

7. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Oh, don't worry... the liberals in Switzerland have their eyes set on ending that tradition. There were a couple high profile shootings lately and of course, the suicides. The Swiss are in real danger of losing their guns.

8. M249

M249 New Member

What he said. Antis are relentless and ruthless, and do not care who or what they hurt to get domination over you.

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,2144,2709342,00.html

9. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

I chat (argue) with a guy on a tech forum. He's swiss & claims that the whole everyone has a gun thing is very much a myth now, though it used to be true.

What he says and I don't know that this is accurate at all, is that after your "bootcamp" phase of training in the militia very few people get to take a weapon home & there are VERY strict rules about keeping it stored in a locked box or safe & seperate from your ammo. Also that every round of ammo has to be accounted for. my point with the guy was that no matter what the current or recent situation is the general population has developed under a situation where every used to have a gun & had been trained in how to use it & even if few soldiers get to take em home now a days the BG's still don't know which home does or doesn't have a gun in it so the effect is the same.