The Roanoke Times Published CCW Database Online

Discussion in 'In the News' started by shamalama, Mar 13, 2007.

1. shamalama

shamalama New Member

From The Roanoke Times at http://www.roanoke.com/editorials/trejbal/wb/wb/xp-108160 (this may disappear):

Huh? Most concealed carry weapon (CCW) permit holders have either a desire or need to remain anonymous. Consider the following:

- local, state, or federal law enforcement personnel
    - local, state, or federal court personnel or judges
    - previously battered spouses
    - single moms with children
    - previous victims of violent crimes

These are all common CCW permit holders that do not want the general public to know they are legally carrying a concealed weapon. They have gone through a rigorous process just to obtain the CCW permit and now have a genuine need to stay anonymous. Certainly this “journalist†wouldn’t really post the database of everyone in the area that has a CCW permit.

But he did.

http://www.commonfolkusingcommonsense.com/2007/03/13/how-to-define-idiot/

2. kkennett

kkennett New Member

Database has been removed. See link above.

3. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

And the bad guys are already talking about using it. It was linked in the comments section of the article. Pretty good incentive for me to get better Concealed Carry laws passed.

http://www.totse.com/bbs/Forum7/HTML/027351.html

never heard of the site before, not sure what it is about, I just went to the above link, pretty eye-opening stuff.

4. rajl

rajl New Member

I didn't see any comments or anything, but I did notice that it was removed rather quickly.

5. GoRabbitGo

GoRabbitGo New Member

After some digging, I was able to retrieve the googlecache of the permit list (1st page, 20 names, anyway). Could a criminal figure it out? Sure, why not.
    :shock:
    This is truly horrendous! How would any of you react if this happened in GA?

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

It is a violation of the law in Georgia, so I would notify GCO! :D

7. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

Did you guys see the poll? 2888 respondents, 98% disagree that people should know

If people are supposed to know, what's the point of concealing the weapon?

8. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

Someone posted his address on their message board. :)

9. shamalama

shamalama New Member

Since this clown was all about "free public information" what is wrong with posting HIS publicly-available information? Not one thing below was derived from anything other than Google searches - "open public records".

Christian J. Trejbal
    675 School Ln
    Christiansburg, VA 24073
    christian.trejbal@roanoke.com
    ctrejbal@bendbulletin.com
    541-617-7837
    540-381-1645

To quote (and slightly edit) this clown's own words:

"There are good reasons the records are open to public scrutiny. People might like to know if their neighbors are leftist moonbats. Parents might like to know if a member of the car pool has a hidden recorder in the glove box. Employers might like to know if employees are bringing liberal propaganda to the office."

Then he had the gall to say, "A state that eagerly puts sex offender data online complete with an interactive map could easily do the same with gun permits, but it does not." Is he daring to compare sex offenders with gun permit owners? Yes, to the fringe Left law-abiding citizens who carry guns are just and dangerous and evil as sex offenders. There is SO MUCH teaching we still have to do to the general public.

10. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

That guy is a clown with an agenda. If his article was really about open records (as he asserts on their message board), I think he would not have focused so intently on CCW permit holders. And what value would posting their names and addresses serve in addressing his chosen topic? If he really believed posting a person's full name, address, and phone number was inconsequential, he should have voluntarily posted his own. Why didn't he post the a list of property owner's in his neighborhood along with their property values and mortgage amounts? I think the reasons are pretty obvious.