The Religious Left

Discussion in 'Off-topic Political' started by Malum Prohibitum, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

We hear a lot about the "religious right" in this country. We rarely hear about the religious left. Are you giving your time, talent, and treasure to any of the following organizations? If so, did you know you are supporting the anti-gun movement? Why not just write a check to Sarah Brady directly?

Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
    Lutheran Office for Governmental Affairs
    Mennonite Central Committee, US
    Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.)
    United Church of Christ, Office for Church in Society
    United Methodist Church Board of Church and Society

Check for yourself:
    http://www.godnotguns.org/

2. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

Good thing there's no Baptists groups on that list, hate to have to change churches.... :shock:

3. tony218

tony218 New Member

amen brother!!!!!!

4. pro2am

pro2am New Member

I noticed the web site listed affiliations by state, and the only southern state I could find was North Carolina.

Praise god...and pass the ammunition!

5. Malum Prohibitum

Maryland, Virginia, Washington DC.

Anyway, all the names I posted were from the National list.

6. kkennett

kkennett New Member

MP, your list saddens me, as I am an elder in my local PCUSA church. :cry:

Without going off into religion, suffice it to say that our church family is the center for much of our family life. That being said, the liberal beauracracy of the denomination has also recently and after many years, back-doored (pardon the pun), the ordination of gays in a 'local option' policy. There is currently a popular conservative uprising to take back the denomination. It is my prayer that it works, as I have been a Presbyterian all my life, but increasingly cannot support the denomination. Time for the right-minded to stand up and take charge. :shoot:

7. asbrand

asbrand Active Member

Makes me glad I am non-religious.

I am an "apathetic agnostic". That means, while I am fairly certain there is something out there greater than we are, be it God, Buddah, any other gods, giant space aliens, or Atuin, the great space turtle...I just don't care. I have better things to spend my time on. But, if they make YOU happy...fine by me. :)

After all...you never heard anyone starting a jihad on the basis of believing in "well...pretty much nothing in particular...sorta..."

8)

8. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

This thread got me thinking about how my own religion, Orthodox Christianity, feels about CCW.

Here is a link to a thread from another board about CCW from an Orthodox perspective. It seems while there are some liberals, the consensus of the board was, thank God, pro-CCW.

I found it interesting to read. Besides it kinda let's you see into the mind of people who don't carry guns and get their perspective on things.

http://www.orthodoxforum.com/topic.asp? ... hichpage=1

9. Malum Prohibitum

Well, as long as people are going to share religious web sites in the Off Topic section, here is the absolute best one out there on biblical topics.

http://www.christiancourier.com/

You won't find anything on CCW, though. In fact, you won't find anything political, for the most part. Well, except maybe this article responding to a diatribe by a UMC clergyman/slash lawyer, "Starr's Church of Christ" - A Review.
    http://www.christiancourier.com/article ... t_a_review

Oh, and there is The President, Adultery, and "Baptist Rules." http://www.christiancourier.com/article ... tist_rules

Don't expect to read about manmade tradition= religion on the site, though. It is about what the Bible has to say, not so much what man has to say.

10. ber950

ber950 Active Member

GGG

GOD, guns, and guts made America free. Let's keep all three! :2cents:

11. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

thanks you finally said something i have thought and could never put in words... no i have an explanation for myself... :lol:

12. Macktee

Macktee New Member

You left out the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster...

Other than that, I agree. Gods come and go... Not many people worship Zeus or Thor these days and, a few centuries from now, Christianity and Islam may well be just memories. But there will be other religions to fill the void. Apparently, people need religion.

Looking at the list, I have no problem with the Mennonites or, for that matter, The Religious Society of Friends, as they have been peaceful conscioutious objectors since their founding. The others, I sorta puke when I read the list...

Thank God my old religion, the Catholic church, still believes in guns and violence and killing and "good wars" and such like. I was taught by some nuns who fully approved of the Inquisition. Really! Actually, some of them were old enough to have participated......

Scary bunch of old biddies! And my mother wonders why I don't go to church...

13. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

i just don't need anyone telling me I am going to the hot place.... i already know that. 8) matter of fact I here it everyday at work... 8)

14. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

The Hot Place?

GC,
    :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: If you are alive long enough you won't need to die to go to the Hot Place. Based on the religion of Global Warming, it will get hot here. I remember back in the early 70's the same idiots where saying in ten years there would be a new ice age. Go figure, so Asbrand you can add Global Warming to your list of beleifs. The great space turtle is one I have never heard of, that's good.
    Always remember GC: "Smoking section or non-smoking".
    Take care, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

15. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

A'tuin.
    Google Terry Pratchet.
    Hillarious.
    I've read most all of his stuff. Great way to take your mind off the day to day fears of the world we live in.

16. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Re: The Hot Place?

Haha I heard something the other day. A friend's geology professor said it: "If global warming is true, at least Washington D.C. will be under 300 feet of water."

:lol:

17. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Thanks (I think) for posting that MP.

I have only one thing to say:

:banghead:

:puke:

:bsflag:

:screwy:

:censored: :censored: :censored:

OK, maybe a few things to say, but nothing suitable for a family-friendly website where children post...!

18. Foul

Foul New Member

I worship Thor, like my ancestors.
    I just replaced Mjolnir with a 7.62x54r.

Weapons are not only encouraged, but mandatory.

:p

19. Malum Prohibitum