"The Red-Headed League" with apologies to Sir A C Doyle

Discussion in 'Off-topic Political' started by Fallschirmjäger, Feb 23, 2017.

1. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

No, this isn't about Sherlock Holmes.

I was thinking recently about political parties and how, in order to gain political power, they had to have the membership to vote for their policies and I am trying to draw an analogy, so please be kind to my unformed thoughts.....

Let us imagine that you want to form a political party, the purpose of which is immaterial for this discussion as it's about power not ideology. Let us suppose that you name this party the "Red-Headed League" and want to attract membership to increase your voting base.
    Obviously, you will include men of voting age in your party; those who are of the proper hair hue of course. But red-heads are only about 2% of the worldwide population; you need a much larger political base in order to achieve any political power.

What to do?
    You can double membership at the stroke of a pen by including red-headed women.
    You can invite people who used to be red-heads but are now bald as cue balls.
    You can invite people who have expressed a desire to dye their hair
    You can You can convince people that 'red heads are the new 'IN' thing and that they want to be red-heads
    You can put forth the idea that because one day they too may want to become red-heads that they should join the party.
    You can convince people that compared to others they are more red-headed and therefore your party can better represent them than another.

Given what is often said about either 'right wing populism' or 'left wing populism' can anyone think of other ways to convince people to join a political party?

Party of the educated
    Party of the individual
    Party of the Rich and Famous
    Party of the Poor and Downtrodden
    Party of the People that Eat Tasty Animals??

(Just a half formed idea that I must admit I'm still working on)

2. Siege

Siege Active Member

"I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent"

-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Francis Hopkinson, March 13, 1789

While I find the whole notion fairly repugnant, I can add one of the most common means of getting party membership: F.U.D., or, Fear, Uncertainty, & Doubt. When properly applied with the right psychology methods, there are few better and faster ways to whip up fervor and gain new converts than by playing on F.U.D. Whether its fear of what your political opponents have done or might do, uncertainty about the future, or doubt about the oppositions' motives, etc., F.U.D. will get the job done. Every major political candidate who actually gets anywhere these days has utilized it to great effect. I'd go so far as to say that was basically the entire principle and focus of Trumps' campaign.

3. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

I believe the fear of a Clinton presidency was founded quite well in fact, without a doubt. ;-)

4. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

"If you fear that one day you may wish to be red-headed and not be discriminated against, then you need to join the League"... would that work?