The Real Armageddon

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by pwrlifter12, Sep 9, 2009.

1. pwrlifter12

pwrlifter12 New Member

I'm not a prophetic or superstitious person at all, nor am I religious, but recently, the History Channel has been airing some pretty interesting programs regarding Earth's armageddon.
    The first aired a few nights ago and was about an NYU professor who constructed a computer algorithm that predicts major disasters. The program that uses this algorithm as its base was actually researched by the CIA/FBI and proven to be accurate 90% of the time. According to the program, nuclear holocaust is not that far from present. It predicted that Israel will declare all-out war on Palestine around 2012 thus causing a chain reaction among world powers. This catalyst event leads to World War 3...

Seeing what's current in the Middle East, I don't think that program is too far-fetched;

The next program aired was more scientifically based, and myself being a scientist found this one more believable; astronomers predict that in the month of December, 2012, our solar system's planets will align in such a fashion that causes the Earth's poles to realign (switch), causing massive natural disasters and mass species extinction. Apparently, tons of prophecies ranging from thousands of years ago mark the year 2012 as a disaster point. Sounds like some bs sci-fi crap doesn't it? Well, I asked an astronomer at GSU about this, and she said this scenario is very real indeed...

What does everyone think about this?

2. OrangeFish

OrangeFish Member

I am always skeptical on the whole "prophecy" thing regardless of the source of the prophecy.

I would like to know exactly what things this algorithm predicted, how far in advance it predicted the events and how accurate and specific the predictions were before I believe a documentary on it's accuracy.

Take the following: I predict there will be a major seismic event in the Middle East within the next five years.
    It's kind of easy to be in the ballpark if I don't specify major, seismic event or Middle East.

If you want to impress me, tell me that three nuclear missiles will be launched from Ness Ziona on July 22nd, 2012 at 11:43am local time aimed at Tehran. Specifying the warhead would be bonus points.
    Of course this, unfortunately, would have to happen before i would be impressed. :D

3. krmbigmac

krmbigmac Active Member

Not on my 40th birthday, they will not. :lol:

4. OrangeFish

OrangeFish Member

But if they do, I will be spoken of in a new light!

5. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Be careful. I started a thread like this several months back, and got laughed out of the marketplace. :lol:

I agree that there is too much evidence to discredit altogether. It can't be coincidence that the Mayans, the Hopi Indians, the Chinese, and Nostradamus all had 12/21/2012 as the end of time, and the dawn of a new age. They were on different continents, at different times, and with no way of knowing each others history. For the religious folks, there is a computer program which also pulled 12/21/12 out of Bible text. The Mayans new of the planetary alignment and the polar shift when they wrote their calendar. Geographical evidence of previous polar shifts is indisputable. The shifts can take place in a matter of hours, and generate cataclysmic earthquakes, tidal waves, and climate changes. Astronomers have confirmed that this planetary alignment will occur, and that it only happens once every 40,000 years or so. I think the actual recurrence is at about 37,000 years, and the last polar shift did occur at that time interval, some 37,000 years ago.

Something's up, and I think all would do well to prepare for very hard times. We may suddenly find ourselves very cold, and visiting the areas that used to be poles to get to the beach. Then again, the Mayans said civilizations will always have two roads to travel. The choice will determine the future. They said 70% of the human population (as they knew it) would die. Maybe Israels impatient finger on the button will keep us from knowing what happened on 12/21/12

Now, I'll sit back and watch as the naysayers tell us we've been watching too much of the History Channel. The science is everywhere. It's not rocket science to understand. I just hope I'm in the 30% alive and running around saying "We told them so". There's not much we can do if our numbers (coordinates) are up on a nuclear strike, but for the other things......we can prepare. If all of the predictions are wrong, we just have a couple of years of crappy stuff to eat and use up. Worst case scenario we'll need everything we can get our hands on, and we may even find ourselves fighting friends to keep our families alive.

Okay, now :flame: away! I'm going to :popcorn:

6. smn

smn Active Member

Show me the math. Show me the algorithms. The scientific method demands repetition to verify results.

When I get back from the palm reader I expect to see sources.

snicker...

7. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

As to the "alignment of the planets"; my thoughts can be described in two words... poppy and cock.

Does anyone have Any idea how little affect the gravity of another planet, or even 7 planets plus 1 planet-formerly-known-as-Pluto has from several million miles away? Similar events have happened before, see "The Jupiter Affect" and "05/05/2000".

The closest the planets are going to 'align' is over a fairly wide arc, see :
    [​IMG]

8. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

The astronomy is indisputable. There are no astronomers who refute the alignment that will take place on 12/21/12. The archeology of record also has the Mayan calendar ending on 12/21/12, the other calendars (Hopi, Chinese, Nostradamus) show it as a time of devastation and mass death.

Let's just hope the combined planetary pull of all of the planets only moves us to a position on the new equator. :D

9. Militus Armatura

Militus Armatura New Member

Well, I am one of the religious guys, lol. I see a few scenarios in the Bible that appear to be a nuclear exchange, primarily middle-east. The way it is described seems to be a good description of some nukes going off. So....I will not laugh at that part but I am hesitant to put a date on anything.

Just my :2cents: .

10. rle737ng

rle737ng Member

All the more reason to drink all the whiskey and use up all of the oil. Party hearty my friends.

11. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Even if you guys are correct and the poles swap in the year 2012, so what? They have swapped numerous times throughout Earth's history and said swaps were never followed by any mass extinction.

As to Nostradamus predicting the end of days in the year 2012, that is incorrect. He did predict upheaval around that time (or so say the people who claim to be able to decipher his quatrains), but the end of Earth was not predicted by him to occur until sometime in 35th century.

And the Bible predictions? Yeh, give me enough time to work out an algorithm and I can make any text say anything I want it to say.

12. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Isn't that what I said?

I didn't say anything about the end of the world or mass extinction, but you've got to admit that the 70% predicted by the Mayans will be a pretty big chunk of humanity. They'll be the ones freezing in the dark at the new polar extremes.

13. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Give me a verifiable source and I'll consider it.

Not "I heard it from _____" or "it came from _____.com". Verifiable.

14. zookeper

zookeper Active Member

then where's all the dinosaurs? :p

15. pwrlifter12

pwrlifter12 New Member

At the end of the program, they were sure to make it clear that the formulae used are 'top secret.' :)

16. rrambo

rrambo New Member

I just have one question, how in the hell did the Mayans predict the lining up of the planets, change of the earth's tilt, etc. to the very day!! It's not like they had the technology, optics, etc. that we do now to track celestial objects in our solar system.

17. gsusnake

God put the 250 million year old fossils in the ground to fool those pesky scientists.

18. gsusnake

Aliens visited and taught them everything.

Sheesh. Don't any of you people read WorldNutDaily or anything?

19. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Excellent question! We'll never know the answer. Did somebody else tell them?

Look "planetary alignment" is actually a misnomer. There is no way to put them in a straight line, but as in a previous contributors picture, they're all very close to the sun. If you look for that occurrence in history, you'll actually find that it happens about every two hundred years. What makes this projected episode unique is that it coincides with the movement of our solar system, through the layers of our galaxy. Picture our "Milky Way" as a five layer cake. As a solar system, we wobble from the top to the bottom layers, and we're out near the edge of the cake. When this happens, the Sun and our sister planets will be on the side of the center of the cake, and we will be in the middle layer, with the combined pull of the planets and the center of our galaxy. The Mayans knew that too. How? That description is what happens only every 37.000 years. We can all hope they were nuts, but four different cultures picking the same time period? How did they know? You can find sites that says this is mumbo jumbo, still others that say it will all happen, but without incident, and others predicting catastrophe. Take your pick, but I think we could've learned more from primitive cultures. We've forgotten more than they knew, in some ways. If we tilt, I'm hoping Iraq gets the pole and we get the equator.

20. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

Darn it you beat me to it. :p