The Rabun County Experience

Discussion in 'Ga. County Licensing Information' started by rainmaker, Jan 1, 2011.

1. rainmaker

rainmaker New Member

I had a carry permit years ago, but didn't bother to renew it since back in those days there were so few places where a weapon could be legalled carried.

Anyway, with the recent changes in the law, I decided to reapply for a permit. I went to the Rabun County courthouse on Monday, December 6, 2010. After going through a metal detector, I went to the second floor, took a right and found the Probate Judge's office. A very pleasant and helpful woman handled the entire process in about half an hour. I had brought my old permit with me, and surprisingly, she said that since I still had it, that this application would be processed as a renewal, instead of as an application for a new permit. The total cost was $70.

I was very surprised to find my new permit in my post office box on Saturday, December 11 with an issue date of December 7 (ONE day after I applied for it). I don't check my post office box everyday, and for all I know, it had been delivered a day or so earlier.

All in all, a very pleasant experience.

2. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

rainmaker what about the fingerprinting?

3. rainmaker

rainmaker New Member

I was electronically fingerprinted at the Probate Judge's office when I applied for the permit on Dec. 6.

4. timbrubaker

timbrubaker I may be slow, but I sure am ugly

I had a somewhat similar experience in Newton County back in 2005; my license had been expired for 13 months, but since I lived at the same address, they treated it as a renewal. Back then a renewal was $20 to the Probate Court, and $5 to the Sheriff for re-fingerprinting. Gunstar1 said the Probate judge has quite a bit of latitude in these matters.

5. whateverjones

whateverjones New Member

It's good to hear they can do fingerprints at probate judges office now.Last time I renewed in 2008 you still had to go to the jail to be printed.Had a 2-3 day turnaround then too.