"the probate court of the county in which he resides...

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by GAGunOwner, May 2, 2007.

1. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Maybe I'm nit-picking but it looks like you can only open carry if you have a GFL that's address matches your driver's license unless you moved within the same county. Say you moved to a different county from the one that issued you the GFL. It would no longer be a license issued by the probate court of the county in which you reside. I noticed while reading last night. So what do you guys think?

Read 16-11-128

2. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

See 16-11-129(a):

"which license shall authorize that person to carry any pistol or revolver in any county of this state notwithstanding any change in that person's county of residence or state of domicile."

3. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Yea, I think the issuance is the only thing that has to be done by the probate judge in the county which one resides.

4. lsu_nonleg

lsu_nonleg New Member

Considering I may be moving counties less than 8 weeks after I actually get my grubby hands on my GFL, this is of great interest to me as well.

**Edit** Too slow on the draw for the fast fingered GPO folks again :(

5. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I thought you could just keep your original address until renewal comes around? Even once you move. In other words, I thought your address at application held until you had to renew. I don't think that holds true for state-to-state, though.

6. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Thanks jrm,

I forgot about that one. Just another case in GA law where there are conflicting statutes. So 129 trumps 128?

7. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I thought they were about two different things. 128 is about issuance and 129 is about validity of the license.

8. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Well, considering that criminal statutes must be construed strictly against the state, the ambiguity of the two statutes must be resolved in favor of the defendant.

So, yes.

9. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

128 is about open carry.

And it was issued by a probate judge of the county in which you reside, or the probate judge would not have issued it to you. Further, the law provides that it remains valid for 5 years, even if you move.

10. Malum Prohibitum

Re: "the probate court of the county in which he reside

Yeah! :lol:

11. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

Why do I love Georgia so much :?: :?:

12. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Other states suck in other ways.

13. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

Very true, thanks for reminding me. :)

14. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

There can't be that many GS1.

15. Malum Prohibitum

Sure there are. Like Oregon. Have you ever considered how terrible it is that people can carry guns in schools and public buildings and such?

Why, I even heard one guy from out of the state just loaded up his pistol at the airport. He did not even have a firearms license that was valid in Oregon.

Anytime you think Georgia is bad, just remember, it could always be worse.

16. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

I took it as he was talking in general, not just firearms.

17. lsu_nonleg

lsu_nonleg New Member

Best reason to live in Georgia? No jobs in Louisiana and Mississippi. And it's not Maryland, New Jersey, Illinois, Kalifornia, DC, or New York. It's kind of like working tough construction while eating entire large pizzas for lunch. You can overcome your horrid eating habits for a while by sweating your ass off, but eventually it's going to catch up with you.

As far as gun laws, we all know where GA stands in comparison to even my favorite Banana Republic.

18. Malum Prohibitum

Oh, yeah, well, Oregon also as all those trees, sand dunes, and the beach. Lakes full of rainbow trout, and rivers full of salmon. Not enough people, either . . .

Just terrible! :lol:

19. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

Yeah, but they won't even let you pump your own gas! :(

20. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

you are correct