The Pacific

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by pwrlifter12, Dec 15, 2010.

1. pwrlifter12

pwrlifter12 New Member

I just finished watching the HBO series, 'The Pacific.' This was the most gritty and jaw-dropping depiction of war I have seen on film and I recommend it for all who have yet to see it.
    The Iwo Jima and Peleliu episodes were especially haunting.

Just throwing it out there...great series.

2. rainmaker

rainmaker Member

I agree. I don't think that any patriotic American can watch that series and not be moved by it. We owe a debt to WWII vets that we'll never be able to repay.

3. ZTC

ZTC Member

I just started watching it through Netflix seems like its gonna be good! I recommend Band of Brothers It's my absolute favorite set of shows and it really shows you what these guys had to go through. Made me fill I was forever in debt to all the soliders that have ever fought for America!

4. BSCLibertarian

BSCLibertarian I'm kind of a big deal

We recorded it when HBO ran it on Veteran's Day and watched it a couple of weeks ago. It is really incredible. I highly recommend it. Some of the non-war related scenes / story lines were a little much for me but they kept my wife interested ;) - other than that it was outstanding. :righton:

5. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

Band of Brothers was way better story wise. Pacific is gritty and bloody compared to Band of Brothers.

For me, the problem with Pacific is that it is hard to relate to the characters compared to Band of Brothers. I'll have to watch it twice to place everyone at the right place.

The weaponry is nice BTW. They really made an effort to be as precise historically as they could...

Oh! by the way, if I saw right, they made a big VOLUNTARY mistake: John Basilonne was killed by Japanese mortar shrapnel, not a shot in the chest. They honour the guy by giving him a whole episode and they screw up about his death.... :screwy: Please, someone tell me I am wrong. It really disappointed me.

Thank you

6. Mortalis

Mortalis New Member

It was a great series to watch. I watched it every Sunday it came out in the spring.

Another good HBO mini series was Generation Kill. It was about a Marine Recon unit invading Iraq at the beginning of the war.

7. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

...Again, I was a little bit disappointed by the few liberties they took to spice the story.

Generation kill??? :sly:
    They depicted our Marines highly trained Recon units like a bunch of idiots.
    One question to marines here. Maybe I am wrong. Are they the same kind of elite unit that was deployed in Viet-Nam in teams of 4 guys?

One movie I watched and was really surprised by it was Everyman's war. Low budget war movie produced by two sons of a WWII veteran about their dad's experience in Europe. The few "mistakes" were due to low budget. They had the whole town participate for the movie, people bringing their milsurp weapons. In a scene, you see a "German" aiming with no bolt...hehehehehe...Safety first

Thank you

8. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Were so many Marines actually issued the little M1 carbine?

9. BSCLibertarian

I think it is because the series follows the mortar teams mostly and they carried M1 carbines because they had so much other equipment to lug around. I noticed that too but then as I looked at all the other Marines that were sort of in the background they seemed to be toting the Garand.

Here's another question. I have noticed that in Band of Brothers and in this series when they go for there 1911 they very often had to either chamber a round or pull the hammer back (depending on the scene - sometimes I saw neither action) before firing. Is this just an error? Didn't they carry "cocked and locked"? I am pretty sure the 1911 was designed to be carried that way.....

10. kestak

kestak New Member

I know the answer!!!!!

But only for WWII:

Officially, in a non-combat (even in a combat zone) Condition 3 was required.
    In a combat zone or going into combat Condition 1 was the way they carried their 1911.

Before jumping, the paratroopers had to carry Condition 3. Did they put their firearm in COndition 1 just after landing? I do not know.

Thank you

11. BSCLibertarian

Help me out, Condition 3? Is that no round in chamber? I can't keep them straight. All I know is how I keep mine - Condition 1! :D

12. kestak

kestak New Member

Condition 0 - A round is in the chamber, hammer is cocked, and the safety is off.

Condition 1 - Also known as "cocked and locked," means a round is in the chamber, the hammer is cocked, and the manual thumb safety on the side of the frame is applied.

Condition 2 - A round is in the chamber and the hammer is down.

Condition 3 - The chamber is empty and hammer is down with a charged magazine in the gun.

Condition 4 - The chamber is empty, hammer is down and no magazine is in the gun.