The Nugget Experiment

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Fallschirmjäger, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

( I'm calling it the Nugget experiment and not the McNugget because I don't want anyone's lawyers contacting me. )

A chef invites children in and cooks for them in the hopes of educating their 'food sense'; choosing healthy food over unhealthy.
    The results are surprising ... or maybe not.
    http://wimp.com/nuggetexperiment/
    or
    http://abc.go.com/shows/jamie-olivers-food-revolution

I know what's in my food, such as the fact that the FDA up to a certain number of fly larva in a can of tomato juice or cockroach legs per frozen pizza. I've never expected food, that's made from biological elements, to be 100% free of any outside biological elements.

2. groats

groats New Member

And this is surprising?

In our headlong rush to mediocracy, we trampled mediocracy right into the ground and kept right on running.

And this does not apply only to food.

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

They say if you ever see how sausages are made, you'll never eat a hot dog again.

4. Suburbbus

Suburbbus Well-Known Member

I have seen how they are made and it would only be consumed to keep me from starving to death with no other nourishment available from any other source at all.

5. RIA45

RIA45 New Member

I've seen them made on Triple D, and other food.tv shows. am I missing something?

6. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Those who love sausage and respect the law should never watch either one being made. --Mark Twain (at least that's who it's usually attributed to)

7. dunkel

dunkel New Member

I don't care how it's made, as long as it tastes good. I'm not going to deprive myself of taste for 70 years just to add an extra 5 on at the end.

Of course, when I actually get to that last 5 years, I might change my mind...

8. Fallschirmjäger

Knowing what I know now ...

I went out and had a serving of chicken nuggets from Micky D's this afternoon.
    Do I care that it's ground up bone, connective tissue and other stuff?

mmmmm
    Nope, not really, it's protein.

9. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

Don't see the problem here. Dude tried making a big deal of nothing.

10. groats

groats New Member

There's two aspects to this:
    1. The fact that we can eat anything, no matter how gross (ever eat an oyster?)

That's ok, I figure our cave-man ancestors did just that, and survived. So we're set up to handle it.

2. The fact that we are willing (and actually prefer) to eat tasteless ground-up chicken-innard pablum with some artificial flavoring added.

Not so ok. That just shows a lack of breeding and intelligence. Not to mention malfunctioning taste buds.

If you are ever fortunate enough to find an actual good restaurant, you'll never want fast food - or what a young friend of mine refers to as "deep fried lard" - again.

But good restaurants are hard to find, it's difficult to compete with companies whose only expenses are minimum-wage part-time highschool kids and ground-up chicken-guts.

11. Fallschirmjäger

In that same vein - -

Ever consider that a lobster with multiple legs, antenna, and being a scavenger is pretty much the equivalent of an undersea cockroach? Did you know that long ago there were laws Against making your servants or slaves eat too many lobsters in one week because it was considered abuse?

Sushi and sashimi, living, gasping for breath fish, eaten alive?

Red colored food dyes, often made from the dried and crushed bodies of insects; cochineal

Who was the first guy to say "Hey, hold my cave-beer, I'm gonna eat the next thing that comes outta that chicken's butt!" or "Hmmm those hangy things on that cow look interesting, I wonder if I can get any milk?"

I ate live bugs and dead monkey's when going through survival training, food is food.

12. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

I've heard monkey brains is really good. I'm going back to Viet Nam next month and I think I will be daring enough to try it while I'm there.

13. seajay

seajay NRA Certified Instructor

How would you have liked to have been the first one to eat a lobster? Now that is one ugly bug...

14. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

OK y'all have drawn me in.

I do my best to avoid artifical ingredients, I mean I go out of my way. When eating out this is impossible, but I do try to minimize the risk. I also don't eat shellfish. I do eat BBQ, it's hard to avoid living in the south, plus folks would look at me funny if I didn't. I have never eaten a nugget, and after watching that video I'm glad.

15. gruntpain1775

gruntpain1775 New Member

I've heard monkey brains is really good. I'm going back to Viet Nam next month and I think I will be daring enough to try it while I'm there.[/quote:422zkctv]
    Deep fried scorpion. I'm tellin ya it taste better than it looks/sounds.

16. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

I've heard monkey brains is really good. I'm going back to Viet Nam next month and I think I will be daring enough to try it while I'm there.[/quote:2hgh9slg]
    Had monkey brains, in a Montinyard village in 1968. It was not cool! The monkey's head is stuck through a hole in a table. His skull is lopped off with a machete, and we picked the brains while it was still kicking under the table. It was better than the rotten eggs (thousand year eggs) that we were offered. A small bite sealed our commitment to the Montinyard Chief. It was everything we needed to conduct military business around his village. Kind've tasted like chicken. :lol: You would not believe what we did to win the confidence of tribal chiefs. Wish I could be with you!

17. corey541

corey541 New Member

the bones aren't used to make nuggets like the video would imply(even tho he does very quickly state at the beginning that they aren't made that way in this country). Some of the bones are ground up and used in dog food, but from my understanding most of the bones are used to make chicken broth...yummie...

18. HydroAuto

HydroAuto GPDO Commonlaw Spouse

Exactly, he makes it sound like marrow and connective tissue are bad for you. I'm not arguing that Chicken McNuggets are good for you either, but I'd be more concerned with additives/supplements than the chicken.

19. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

Had monkey brains, in a Montinyard village in 1968. It was not cool! The monkey's head is stuck through a hole in a table. His skull is lopped off with a machete, and we picked the brains while it was still kicking under the table. It was better than the rotten eggs (thousand year eggs) that we were offered. A small bite sealed our commitment to the Montinyard Chief. It was everything we needed to conduct military business around his village. Kind've tasted like chicken. :lol: You would not believe what we did to win the confidence of tribal chiefs. Wish I could be with you![/quote:5ld2h330]

Well, I haven't been that deep into VN to come across any Montagnard tribes nor am I, as far as I know when I get there next month, being sent up river to track down any rogue Army Colonels. However, the most extreme thing I have eaten were raw turtle eggs that were taken from the turtle while it was being prepared to cook. Interesting enough, the Viets use the shell of the turtle to cook all the meaty parts in. The shell acts like a bowl and they light a flame under it and cook the contents. Turtle meat tastes alot like pork. Go figure.

20. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

You can't look this good by eating the healthy stuff.
    [​IMG]