The Nation - Factual errro in the first sentence......

Discussion in 'In the News' started by UtiPossidetis, Jun 29, 2017.

1. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

The title of the article at The Nation is:

Gun Sales Are Plummeting and Trump Wants to Help: The NRA’s new playbook includes guns for kids and open carry in every state.

The first sentence of the article is:
    "A beaming Donald Trump stood before hundreds of National Rifle Association members at their annual meeting in Atlanta this past April"

That first sentence is factually untrue so why would I read past that line?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  2. Scout706

Scout706 Well-Known Member

Wanna see a sales jump? Repeal the NFA of 1934. . . for a start. I'd like one of those surplus M16A2s from the CMP.

3. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

https://www.thenation.com/article/gun-sales-are-plummeting-and-trump-wants-to-help/

Most of the article is either partially or completely wrong or he draws the wrong conclusions based on what bits he actually got right.

Jan to May firearm background checks for 2017 are the 3rd highest ever. Only falling behind the 2 years in which Obama made a hard push for gun control (2013 and 2016) https://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/showthread.php?t=272694

Actually, I don't think I could pack in as many things he got wrong or misleading into an article if I tried.

4. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

What's untrue about that first sentence?

The NRA's annual meeting this year was in Atlanta.
    I was there.
    It was in April. April 27-30th, right?

Donald Trump was there, live and in-person. (I didn't attend that special "Leadership Forum.")

He spoke to "hundreds" of NRA members. I assume that only several hundred people were in the conference room with the President to personally hear his speech. I know some 80,000 people attended the Annual Meeting at some point that weekend, but how many were actually in the room with Trump listening to his speech?

So.... again.... why is the first sentence of that article so blatantly false that you stop reading there?

5. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I'm wondering the same thing as GS.

"A beaming Donald Trump stood before hundreds of National Rifle Association members at their annual meeting in Atlanta this past April"

This is factually correct.

6. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Ok, I see per the GWCC website that Hall A3 holds over 5000 persons when set up as a banquet, and over 9,000 if no tables are in there and it's just chairs for seating.

https://www.gwcca.org/docs/GWCCA-Floorplans.pdf

I'm sure it was full or nearly so.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  7. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

It was a sold out event, yes. So, close to 10000 people attended. But according to the Lying Media it was "hundreds". That # doesn't count the closed circuit broadcast to other areas at GWCC either.