Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
save your money, just rewatch the original instead. Or Shichinin No Samurai, on which the original was based.

Denzel was entertaining as usual. Cowboy Chris Pratt was fun. Ethan Hawke is always watchable. D'Onofrio was a little weird. But the dialogue was muted, the action was hard to follow, the storyline was subordinate to the action (and therefore hard to follow) and it was about an hour too long. Peter Sarsgaard was a great villian (as usual), reminiscent of Malkovich at times.

There were maybe 10 folks in the theater.

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and Byung-hun Lee was fantastic.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,160 Posts
None of the recent remakes have been worth the popcorn to watch.

Nemo

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
True Grit was better than the original.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,900 Posts
Thanks for saving me a massive amount of money at the movie theater.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,160 Posts

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,900 Posts
I can't remember, but I don't think I've ever seen a remake that was better than the original.

The Crazies and Dawn of the Dead maybe two possibly.

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
The original had such a fantastic cast I don't know how you could top it. I can see where you might decide that you could remake 3:10 to Yuma (although I didn't see the remake), but the Magnificent Seven was epic. It would be like remaking The Ten Commandments or Ben Hur - oh wait....

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
There's more money in formulas, remakes, and "stars" than there is in imagination, storytelling, and acting.

The remake concentrates much more on action than it does on story or character development. Comparing the original Mag 7 with the remake is like apples and oranges. A good example is the body count between the two movies. It's way over the top in the remake. More like a comic book than reality.

Az

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
We deal in lead, friend.
The fact that someone would even try to remake a classic Yul Brynner/Steve McQueen/Charles Bronson/James Coburn/Robert Vaughn is a testament to Hollywood being truly out of ideas. It's destined to fail right from the start.

We should probably go and watch Seven Samurai instead.

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I maintain that Jeff Bridges is a better Rooster Cogburn than John Wayne ever was.

I will defend that claim with my person, if necessary.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts