Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.neatorama.com/2010/11/30/the ... x-seconds/

From neatorama -- a good addition to your RSS feeds*.

*If you don't read RSS feeds, get with the 21st century and visit http://reader.google.com to login with your google account**. You aren't still checking webpages for updates manually...right?

**If you don't have a google account, I award you zero points, and my god have mercy on your soul. :wink:

·
GeePeeDoHolic
6,412 Posts
A rifle is considered worn-out after 3000-5000 rounds? Really? :?

Or is that a life of useful accuracy? What's a "useful" life for pistol barrels?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rugerer said:
A rifle is considered worn-out after 3000-5000 rounds? Really? :?

Or is that a life of useful accuracy? What's a "useful" life for pistol barrels?
I'm reading it to mean that that is the life of factory accuracy. It seems that after that many rounds, there is enough heat/friction/etc to alter the barrel in some way. I just found the measurement in seconds as interesting.

·
GeePeeDoHolic
6,412 Posts
spector said:
I just found the measurement in seconds as interesting.
Me too. Never thought about for all that time you'd spend shooting, the barrel spent only a few seconds of doing useful work.

·
Registered
7,712 Posts
spector said:
http://www.neatorama.com/2010/11/30/the-lifespan-of-a-gun-barrel-is-about-six-seconds/

From neatorama -- a good addition to your RSS feeds*.

*If you don't read RSS feeds, get with the 21st century and visit http://reader.google.com to login with your google account**. You aren't still checking webpages for updates manually...right?

**If you don't have a google account, I award you zero points, and my god have mercy on your soul. :wink:
feeddemon after google gets set up

oh, and Bloglines is back !

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SGT_Calle said:
spector said:
and my god have mercy on your soul. :wink:
Mr. Olberman, is that you?
This one made me seriously LOL.
While Mr. Olberman is arguably one of the world's greatest ranters (despite disagreeing with him about many issues) that is actually from Billy Madison:

·
Registered
897 Posts
if you are shooting a “long-lived†.308 Win that goes 5000 rounds before losing accuracy, then you get a whopping TEN seconds of barrel
so does that mean that it shoots 30,000 rounds per min?

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,312 Posts
5000 bullets for a .308 would, if laid in a row nose-to-base in a straight line, form a copper-covered line about 630 feet long (guessing 1.5 inches per projectile).
So if you were to shove all 5000 of those bullets throug your bore in one stream, you'd be running 630 feet worth metal through your bore.

The interesting calculation here is the "average" time the bullet spends in the barrel. The bullet doesn't just go from rest to 3000 f.p.s. instantly. It uses up barrel distance as it accellerates.

So if average velocity = Distance divided by time, then

2 feet / .002 seconds = bullet has an "average" velocity in the barrel of 1000 feet per second!

So the bullet exits the muzzle at three times what it's "average" speed in the tube was.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,312 Posts
But I think wear or damage to the muzzle end will have a greater negative impact on accuracy.
I've heard that the last few inches of rifling are the most important, and of course the crown is too.

·
69,149 Posts
I have experienced drastic gains in accuracy from tightening up the chamber. I have never done anything to the muzzle end, so I cannot say which has a greater effect, but the chamber has a huge effect on accuracy.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
There are a lot of factors with barrel life most of the time they loose accuracy due to throat erosion. Also with the numbers it that article I would consider them to be on the short side. For most of us we could use a .308 well past 5000 rounds but for someone in the benchrest game they may have it rebarreled even sooner. There are some bench rest shooters that barely get a 1000 rounds out of barrel, though they are in calibers other than .308. Generally speaking the faster you push a bullet the shorter the life of the barrel.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
I have experienced drastic gains in accuracy from tightening up the chamber. I have never done anything to the muzzle end, so I cannot say which has a greater effect, but the chamber has a huge effect on accuracy.
Most problems with the muzzle affecting accuracy are due to improper or excessive cleaning largely related to military surplus rifles. Hence the reason they often counter bore the end of the barrel to extend it's useful life.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
spector said:
While Mr. Olberman is arguably one of the world's greatest ranters (despite disagreeing with him about many issues) that is actually from Billy Madison:
That would read "despite disagreeing with virtually everything that comes out of his mouth" if I had written it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts