Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
69,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2020, SB 288, took effect 2021 (just last year).

Under federal law, a misdemeanor domestic violence charge that is expunged means that a person convicted of such a misdemeanor is no longer subject to the lifetime ban on ever touching a firearm.

Georgia's Republicans decided to make misdemeanor domestic violence convicts ineligible for expungment by law. See SB 288.

Link to SB 288: Georgia General Assembly

See lines 234-235 and 251 through, ah, just keep reading until you satisfy your curiosity.

P.S. - if you don't know what "simple assault" or "simple battery" means, look them up. The plain English version of simple battery is an "offensive touching." No injury. Battery (not simple battery) can be any injury visible to another person. Simple assault is simply threatening to do so or that one "places another person in reasonable apprehension of immediately receiving a violent injury," but no actual injury at all.

These dangerous persons deserve to have no access to expungement as a method of restoring their right to bear arms, for the rest of their lives. So declares by law the current crop of Republicans.

·
Cross-drawer
7,416 Posts
All it takes is a ticked off ex to file charges against someone to screw things up for the rest of their life. I I get mad at my wife and throw a half loaf of bread at her I can lose my 2A rights. Sucks.

·
Super Moderator
69,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
All it takes is a ticked off ex to file charges against someone to screw things up for the rest of their life. I I get mad at my wife and throw a half loaf of bread at her I can lose my 2A rights. Sucks.
To be fair, that is a matter of federal law for which Georgia's Republicans cannot be blamed.

SB 288, however, is now the state law, and Georgia's Republicans removed the ability of a person convicted of misdemeanor domestic violence to obtain an expungement. This is a change to the law that took effect last year. The underlined lines in the bill are additions to current Georgia statutory code that the Republicans inserted.

Sio they made expungements available for convictions, but not for domestic related convictions.

There are other things excepted from expungements as well (e.g.,. public indecency).

So Georgia Republicans did not create the Lautenberg amendment, but they have made sure that anybody caught up in the Lautenberg amendment can never have their convictions expunged and thus regain their right to keep and bear arms using expungement.

So Georgia Republicans, when creating expungement, foreclosed a legal method for misdemeanants to regain their basic human right of self defense, to put it more clearly.

·
Super Moderator
69,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

House 159-0
Senate 46-0

06/24/2020House Vote #707 159 0 9 12
06/24/2020Senate Vote #741 46 0 28

So, yeah, odds are your Senator and Representative both voted for it.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
An angry teen in the household spinning stories can similarly jeopardize one’s rights…

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
16-5-23
(a) A person commits the offense of simple battery when he or she either:
(1) Intentionally makes physical contact of an insulting or provoking nature with the person of another;

Wow. So overly broad and sweeping there.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,743 Posts
Might want to see if this can get in the Kemp/Perdue dispute.

Nemo

·
Super Moderator
69,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Might want to see if this can get in the Kemp/Perdue dispute.

Nemo
Optics. No politicians can be seen to be taking the side of domestic abusers and wife beaters.

The propaganda war has been won by the activists - who are still fighting it on the ground level with proposals to force those convicted to turn in their weapons or have police accompany them from the courthouse to seize their weapons immediately.

We Are In The Homicide Prevention Business. DeKalb County, GA

Quote: "and they can't sell them." In DeKalb, an uncommon drop-your-weapon program
John Monroe is quoted as "a critic."

1 - 8 of 8 Posts