"The Judge?! Pssh! We got the Governor, y'all!"

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Hunley, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Hunley

Hunley Active Member

2. ARMT Guy

ARMT Guy Ordinary Average Guy

Well.. if I was considering a wheel gun in this class, then this S&W would take it.

It comes with everything I would look for in a revolver.. and who knows.. perhaps someday I'll take the plunge on one of these bad boys. :-k :wink:

I didn't even try to look for the price of it though. :scared: :lol:

IMHO, a step or two ahead, but it'll probably lose out to the Judge in the price dept.

3. dcannon1

dcannon1 New Member

.45 acp option puts it head and shoulders above the judge IMO. If the price was right I might grab one

4. That looks pretty nice! I would still like to see more of the Raging Judge Magnum though.

5. Hunley

Hunley Active Member

That's basically what I thought. The moon clips opens this up to a lot of people who already have that caliber in their arsenal.

Depending on whether or not it would handle 45 ACP +P, and price, this might go somewhere.

I can't find a price. I can't find the frame size, either. I'm wondering if this is a K/L or N.

6. HydroAuto

HydroAuto GPDO Commonlaw Spouse

Bah, call me when they have a 45-70. :shattered:

Looks interesting... their site says $679 MSRP, so what does that work out to in real world pricing? High 500 range?

7. Match10

Match10 Active Member

I like the Judge in our family... But it is still a Taurus.

Want ... Smith ... & ... Wesson!

8. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

This could solve my problem. I love the .41 Mag ballistics, and would put it up against just about anything else. It's a much overlooked round. Truth is, I carry a Colt Commander in .45 ACP all of the time. I prefer to OC, and the Redhawk just draws more attention than I want. If I chose to CC, at the movie, it also extends well below my coat.

The "Governor" may give me everything I need, in something I can either OC or CC!

9. madcapmagician

madcapmagician New Member

I read something funny elsewhere about it..

"It should have been called the Chief Justice. The marketing strategy could have been: Why have a judge when you can have the Chief Justice?"

10. MrMorden

MrMorden New Member

I guess the manufacturers are in a race to develop the least practical handgun. :shattered:

11. ET.

ET. Active Member

Being able to shoot acp out of the S&W Governor is appealing to me. I tried using acp in my Judge with moon clips. It worked well, but I couldn't/wouldn't do it on a regular basis, since evidently it wasn't designed to handle the higher pressures of the acp round. It didn't blow my gun up, but over time I would expect stress cracks to form on the frame/cylinder from the higher pressure. No worry of that happening it seems with the S&W.

12. ARMT Guy

.45 ACP has a higher chamber pressure than .45 Long Colt? :?

I truly don't know one way or the other, but I'd figure that .45 Long Colt would be higher than .45 ACP.

13. Brian618

Brian618 New Member

The SAAMI pressure limit of the .45 ACP is 21,000 psi while the .45 Colt is only 14,000 psi.

14. moga

moga New Member

I got introduced to the Governor at the same time as the 28 Gauge Raging Bull. I haven't been able to get the image of the latter out of my mind. Only if it was capable of launching a traditional pistol caliber. Could you imagine a 14mm revolver? LMAO. Its versatility would be unrivalled.

[​IMG]

I must be one of a very few that never "got" the appeal of the Judge.

15. ber950

ber950 Active Member

It could be handy hiking in the woods during the summer time for snakes, but not much else. It certainly isn't a practical self defense handgun. :roll: Some folks will buy anything with the right advertising.

16. ARMT Guy

Thank you! :)

17. ARMT Guy

Include me in that 'few'.

18. Match10

Match10 Active Member

You have never shot one then.... The 410 loading with discs and bucks is quite devastating at close in on black bears.

19. ARMT Guy

You are correct... but whenever I trek into bear country, I have a .44mag and/or 12 ga if something big, brown/black and furry comes along. :wink:

20. mathar1

mathar1 New Member

You are correct... but whenever I trek into bear country, I have a .44mag and/or 12 ga if something big, brown/black and furry comes along. :wink:[/quote:1lo7jy76]
    Having bear hunted out west and in AK take the advice of my guide buddy "you make sure you file the front sight off that .44 afore ya brang it". I assumed he meant for faster draw if they rush me and he replied "nope..that way it won't hurt as bad when that grizzly shoves it up your a$$". :lol:

He carried a custom built double barrel .50BMG cut to 18" barrel that fired both barrels with one trigger. He assured me "roundin up a wounded grizzly ain't no way to stay on friendly terms with yer life insurance salesman so I carry this equalizer". I asked him how bad it kicked and he said he had no idea. He had never fired it and didn't ever plan on doing so unless his life was on the line. :shattered: