The Governor Wrote Me ..... litttle ole me.

Discussion in 'Georgia In the News' started by Mike from Philly, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Mike from Philly

Mike from Philly New Member

I sent a note to the Governor expressing my disgust at him killing concealed carry reform and advising him I will tell everyone of his deed.

Here is his response:

Dear Mike:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me on gun control. I am glad
    to know where you stand on this issue.

Several bills addressing the ownership and carrying of weapons were
    introduced in previous sessions of the General Assembly but were not
    passed. Therefore, they were not presented to me for signature or veto.
    Should you wish to see the current law amended, please be sure also to
    make your views known to your state legislators. If any legislation of
    this nature reaches my desk for signature, I will give very careful
    consideration to the concerns you have voiced.

I wholeheartedly support the Second Amendment to the United States
    Constitution. The right to bear arms includes the responsible use and
    ownership of firearms. In general, I believe Georgia's gun control laws
    provide necessary protections without infringing on the constitutional
    right to bear arms.

I appreciate your making me aware of your interest in this matter as a
    Georgia citizen.

2. coyy2k1

coyy2k1 New Member

I don't know that the Governor has actually read all the laws that the state has regarding GUN CONTROL. IF he has he must be missing something, because we have some of the most restictive of all gun laws in the US. :(
    I love this quote: "In general, I believe Georgia's gun control laws
    provide necessary protections without infringing on the constitutional
    right to bear arms. "
    So is he saying that he believes that we already have in place what we need concerning the laws concerning guns and the way we can carry them.
    I think is just skirting the issue here :cry:

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I don't think he skirted the issue at all. He likes the laws the way they are. How much plainer could he make it?

4. coyy2k1

coyy2k1 New Member

He seems to be skirting the issues that some lawmakers are trying to either reduce the laws or change them for the betterment of legally authorized CCW holders.. :). As I am sure Mike wrote to him with concerns about CCW's concerns about carrying to and at public gatherings, to resturants, etc.. Maybe I just didn't follow his line of thinking. Sorry about that :oops: he just seems to be skiting issues to me....

5. Malum Prohibitum

That is not skirting.

That is saying he likes the restrictions while also paying lip service to "the Second Amendment."

I think we have the Governor's answer.

Mike, thanks for reaching out to him.

6. m38a1

m38a1 New Member

What about the Lt. Governor?

I understand the Lt. Gov Will be running against Sonny
    Anyone know his position on 2nd Ammend.

Tom

7. gkbikers

gkbikers New Member

I believe the Lt. Gov. supports the second amendment. If memory serves correctly, the NRA gave him a pretty good rating . . . for what that's worth.

Uuuuuh, by the way, remember that good ol' Sonny was a democrat a lot longer than he's been a republican. Here in Georgia, not all democrats are liberal, but of course the Party is liberal and therefore most democrats tend to vote more liberal than republicans. Just my humble opinion.

So far, Sonny hasn't proven very helpful, has he? :roll:

8. Ben

Ben New Member

Mike
    Looks like we both sent a message to the Gov. about the same time.

Except for our names my reply was exactly the same as yours. Form letter reply no doubt. :evil: I wonder if he ever saw or heard about our email..

I sent off another email stateing what I expected of him as a Goveror of Georgia. Never got a reply-wonder why. :roll: :roll:
    Ben

9. Malum Prohibitum

Ben, I just wanted to take the time to welcome you, as I saw you were the newest registered user of the forum! :D

I wouldn't get too discouraged by the Governor's letter. This sort of thing happens all the time. I think I am beginning to learn the the real progress happens behind the scenes.

We meet on the first Saturday of every month. The next one is May 7. I hope you can make it!

10. lhuff

lhuff New Member

Same reply...

Sorry this is late. I just saw this thread.

I wrote the Governor this letter and got the same word-for-word response. Not one letter was different. I wrote him back and told him that it was scary to have a Governor who was so out of touch with the people and the laws that had been devised to control them.

My letter:

Many gun owners in Georgia have worked very hard over the past few years to make Georgia a Republican controlled state. We have done this with the belief that Republican equals less government. It was our hope that this would result in the removal of several arcane laws controlling law abiding citizens' ability to carry legally owned firearms for protection.

Laws are becoming less restrictive in many states. Crimes continue to be committed by criminals, not concealed carry licensees. The OK Corral scenario is simply not happening. Although a minimal improvement, Bills such as H. B. 193 would reduce crime in Georgia. Criminals are, for the most part, cowards. They tend to avoid perpetrating crimes where they may be confronted by armed citizens.

Georgians continue to be saddled with the laws of fear instituted by liberals years ago. For them it is an emotional issue. The logic of allowing law abiding citizens to defend themselves and their families should overcome that emotion. That same logic should overcome political ambition.

I have heard from several sources that you have given instructions restricting the legislature's ability to remove any of these restrictive laws. It is wrong for the executive branch to subvert the legislative process. To do so to appease any group which you believe may be politically advantageous to you is egregious.

We have worked very hard to get to a point where we thought reason would overcome emotion in Georgia politics. It is a huge disappointment to find that all of that work has been negated by "just another politician". Where are the good people who stand on principle?

It's been a long time since I've voted for a Democrat. I've never worked to get a Democrat elected. I've always felt it silly to vote against someone instead of for someone. I've never been a one issue voter.

The next election will be different. Anyone who will deny me the right to protect myself and my family for their political gain shall not get my support or vote.

If the information upon which I base this letter is in error, please enlighten me.

11. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Active Member

lhuff, damn good letter there brother....

It brought a tear to my eye...

12. Molon Labe

Molon Labe New Member

Excellent letter! Let us know if you get a response.

13. lhuff

lhuff New Member

Thanks!!

Thanks - I just wish he'd read it. Since I got word-for-word the same answer as Mike, I suspect his flunkies just said "Gun control letter, send the gun control response." I doubt he even saw it.

This was written back in February when the "soccer moms" put Sonny on the anti band wagon. It was an important voting bloc he figured he couldn't ignore. I hope at the next election we can show him we shouldn't be ignored either.

I did not get a response to my second letter.