Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Proud GCO member.
7,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The website has been totally revamped. Come check it out!

http://www.georgiacarry.org

P.S. Be sure to search for it and/or share it. We need to make the search engines reindex the new content.

·
PITA
252 Posts
Thanks for posting that. I got the email from GCO, checked out the link, and was about to post here about it, but you beat me to it.

It will benefit GCO (and all of us), if everyone visits the site, and especially if they visit the sponsor sites from there.

·
Romans 10:13
4,632 Posts
Very impressive. Well done to all who were involved.

Reactions: DonT and AtlPhilip

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Much improved. Great job.

Reactions: AtlPhilip

·
68,665 Posts
Much better. Is the In The Courtroom Page incomplete? Did somebody decide to do away with Mike Menkus's Disarm the ******* article?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I do not like the url structure having the /cms namespace as a prefix. That is negative for SEO purposes. Would have been better to preserve legacy urls. The url structure seems also to contain dates that are not relevant for an evergreen content strategy.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
I do not like the url structure having the /cms namespace as a prefix. That is negative for SEO purposes. Would have been better to preserve legacy urls. The url structure seems also to contain dates that are not relevant for an evergreen content strategy.

I had not a clue so to help out, here are two links that might help in the event you have interest. I only hope they adhere to excepted practices or I know I'll get feedback.:geek:

·
68,665 Posts
GCO probably does not have marketing professionals . . . budget. Not sure any have volunteered.

Reactions: frankr

·
Registered
3,638 Posts

·
Registered
14,154 Posts
I do not like the url structure having the /cms namespace as a prefix.
Doesn't that have something to do with allowing the site to be easily maintained and updated? Why is it a detriment?

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Doesn't that have something to do with allowing the site to be easily maintained and updated? Why is it a detriment?
Did you RTFM.
I went to much trouble to post one.😁

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Using a CMS is a great idea. Having the word /cms at the start of every URL is undesirable for a couple reasons:

1. The URL for each page contributes meaning to what the content of the page contains. It along with the title in the title bar and the description in the header are what are displayed in search results before someone clicks through to a page. Search engines use the words in the URL to attempt to match the searchers intent with relevant content. When the search engine can infer a date from the URL and post content it gives a recently boost for new content and then removes the boost when the content ages. This is why new posts show up above older posts. Makes sense for news articles and blogs but not a repository of knowledge like GCO.

2. For human users, especially on mobile, the URL is hidden or obscured by other UI elements. So irrelevent prefix content serves to further obscure the meaningful part of the URL from human eyes.

Hopefully some effort has been made to preserve linkbacks, directing to the relevent content in the new design for each piece of content in the old design that had other websites linking to it.

I am not in the website marketing business. But have had to do this stuff since I have personally run websites that have had to go through major updates and have content going back decades.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
That being said it looks like both Google and Bing have updated to use many of the /cms pages. I have not done SEO research on a stie not mine in a long time so I don't know how many backlinks there are out there at the moment. The webmaster tools will show those. Also will show crawling errors for pages that used to exist but do not exist now.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,147 Posts
Much better. Is the In The Courtroom Page incomplete? Did somebody decide to do away with Mike Menkus's Disarm the *** article?

The historical article about the Camilla Massacre and the "public gathering" gun ban is also giving the same message:
ERROR 404 -- Page Not Found

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,147 Posts
...Is the In The Courtroom Page incomplete?
Yeah, the links to "State" and "Local" court cases / litigation don't work. Only the few Federal court cases show.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
I made a good living in IT for 30 years and during that time I don't recall any sites that I used regularly which did a total revamp of the page that did not have some issues with links and performance. The issues most always get worked out.
With that said I wouldn't touch creating a site with a ten foot pole.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
14,197 Posts
I have an 11 foot pole in UPS-ing your way. Just fix this place.

Nemo

·
Deplorable bitter clinger.
5,673 Posts
If you have some good comments, suggestions, or problems you have experienced with the new website, I would encourage you to email Jerry Henry, at [email protected]. Put in the subject line, that it's website related. It will get to the website development team. Thanks!

·
Registered
14,154 Posts
Did you RTFM.
I went to much trouble to post one.😁
How sweet of you! :love: Yes, I read them both but most of it went right over my head not being a technical type.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts