The Dog

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Rammstein, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

So I have a problem that I need some advice with.

When one of my roommates (I have three) came back from spring break on Sunday she brought a dog with her. The conversation went something like this:

Me: oh, who's dog is that?
    Her: ours.
    Me: ours?!
    her: well, mine.
    Me:......

Fast forward to Monday morning when I am woken up by barking. The dog barked for 5 hours with about two ten minute breaks. I think it barked more just to spite me after I told it to shut up.

This morning it woke me up again.

Some other pertinent info is that she didn't ask any of the other roommates if it would be ok to bring a dog in, nor is she going to pay the $300 overall and $20 monthly pet fee.

After talking to the other roommates last night I asked her today why she didn't ask anyone else in the apartment. Her response was: well I told Alex. I wanted a clarification so I asked her if she asked him about the dog or told him about the dog. She says she told him not asked him.

Which brings me to my current situation.

I don't want to be woken up every morning for the rest of my lease. It is not fair to the rest of us that we have to deal with her stupid dog because she lets it run loose in the apartment. The other night I came into my room and the dog was under bed. I had to check to see that it didn't use my room as a bathroom, which btw it already has done in a different room.

So how do I approach this? My gut reaction is to tell her she has two days to find the dog a new home before I go to the office to make sure it gets removed. However, I know if I do that it is going to create tension between her and the rest of the roommates since they feel the same way I do.

Suggestions?

2. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

Join the NRA!

Then get your room mates together and set her down and tell her she needs to fix the problem. It may cause some tension for her but that's only fair since she has already caused tension for you and the other roommates!

3. rajl

rajl New Member

Second that.

Get the roommates to sit-down with you. The three of you need to tell her that she has X days to get rid of the dog, or else. Explain to her that all three of you are also _insert feeling here__ because 1) none of you wanted a dog, 2) she didn't ask you guys how you felt about having a dog in the apartment, she just did it, 3) and she refuses to be responsible for her dog (paying for the pet deposit, extra rent, and I'm guessing clean up too). Make sure that you are very clear that it is *her* dog, not yours. From teh conversation you reported, she's already trying to pull the wool over all of you guys be calling it "our" dog and not "my" dog.

Yeah, there will be tension between her and the three of you. It's her problem, not yours. She brought it upon herself. Look at it this way, standing up for yourselves in this situation is going to teach her a life lesson about being considerate of other people.

On a practical note, I'm not sure the leasing office is the best route. If all of you guys signed onto the lease together, you might find that all of you, collectively, are liable for the pet deposit and fee. Which means any of you can be forced to pay it once the leasing office knows about the pet. If each of you signed a separate leasing agreement, you're in a better position.[/b]

4. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

ditto above. Just make sure that your other roommates all are in agreement with you & have enough backbone to stand up to miss irresponsible dog owner....

not cool.

5. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I also agree.

She should have checked with the three of you BEFORE getting the dog. The three of you have 2 options as I see it.

1) Give her X amount of time to find a new home for the dog. Or, a new home for herself and the dog.

2) Give her X amount of time get the dog trained (not to bark, chew things (other than dog toys), go to the bathroon in the apt, jump on people, and lick excessively, etc ), pay the $300 herself, agree to pay the extra $20 per month herself, and agree to pay for any damage caused by her dog when the lease expires.

6. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

See? We all agree, your first step is to join the NRA! :D

7. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

can you say "pimp"?
    I'm gettting that "pimp" feeling here....
    :lol:

8. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

well she should have talked to all of you first.... I would have a sit down and tell her that ya'll don't want a dog. If you are going to let her keep it then it needs a crate, some training, and she needs to pay all extra doggie costs.

BUT please don't kick the dog out till you know it has somewhere safe to go. every year when school lets out here students just let animals go and it is a huge mess. So don't blame the dog it is not its fault. Instead beat your roommate.....

Oh and join the NRA

9. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

See? We all agree, your first step is to join the NRA! :D[/quote:3qw1wwdp]

Don't forget to make sure that you roomies join too :D

10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

If her name is not on the lease.....then kick her out. :twisted:

Seriously, don't you hate it when people make choices that effect others and don't even realize or care? I would give her a couple of days to get the problem solved or find another place to live. Don't go to the appartment manager because you will get charged with the pet deposit.

How does your roomate think that the Appt. manager won't notice the dog? Was she just going to let it poop in the den or was she planning on taking it out?

11. Taler

Taler New Member

Just so we're on the same page, I understand, Ramm, you're annoyed at the female roommate. The dog, at this point, isn't an afterthought, but for the sake of clarity, leave it out.

My sense is that she crossed a line by forcing something on the rest of you. Painting your living room a nice shade of pink might have done the same thing, without barking or peeing. You would still be expected to "deal" with it.

Instead of giving an ultimatum, may i suggest that you sit down with her, with other roommates if you choose, and tell her that her actions have caused you to be upset/angry/or whatever, that you need the upset to cease, and ask her what she plans on doing to fix the problem.

Try not to gang up on her, or even give the appearance of ganging up. You won't get anywhere if you do, and the reasonable expectation is the stress level will go higher, not lower, if she feels attacked.

I don't know how long you have left for your arrangement, but you really want to have your formerly happy home back, and confrontation isn't going to lower tension.

See what happens with her first. Be helpful. When she sees how upset you all are, she may feel badly, and probably will if you present it right. She'll try to undo the harm, and paint your living room.

Then, if after all this happens, you must deal with the dog, do it thoughtfully and with concern.

12. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Get a "no bark" collar for the mutt.

I don't like them. Dogs bark for reasons that make sense to dogs and making them stop can be hard of their little canine brains, but we are at the top of the food chain, so dog has to learn to shut up!

Those collars work on most dogs. Don't discuss it. Just buy the collar, put it on the dog and present her with the bill. When she see the price, she'll make more noise than the dog!

http://www.radiofence.com/bark_collars.htm

Or, as has been mentioned earlier, grow a pair and kick her ass out!

13. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

Man, you guys don't even know the girl... already with the names!
    :rotfl:

14. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Can I get one of those for my wife to wear sometimes?

I tried something similar on my Jack Russells. All it did was pi** them off. They would just bark louder and more. They knew what was hurting their ears and would bark and snap at it. I had to return it to the store.

15. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Thanks for the replies everyone.

It is a four way lease so no one is kicking anyone else out. Because of that, whatever expenses she may incur from having the dog are solely her responsibility.
    Whatever happens I do want the dog to find a good home. I'm a dog person, but just not this dog.

Taler, you pretty much hit the nail on the head. I am more upset over her not asking anyone about bringing a dog in then being woken up. Sage advice. I'll approach the subject with her in a non-accusatory and non-threatening way.

And I didn't even tell you about the time she brought a kitten into the apartment (w/o asking anyone) and she had the gall to put the litter box in the living room. She kept feeding the cat milk so it had diarrhea daily. She said she had to hold it for a friend for a few weeks. On the last day I made sure that thing was gone.

16. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Well that probably could not have gone worse.

I tried being nice. I tried being non-confrontational.

She said that she can do what she wants in her room and that the dog doesn't affect me. I had already told her that it woke me up two days in a row and that I found it in my room. Yet, by some strange logic....none of that affected me.

"Dogs bark...don't you know that?!"
    "Yes, but that is not my problem. I didn't create the problem." I said. "Besides, that barking is waking me up in the morning."

Then, she says "well you checked off on your lease that you don't have a problem with dogs."
    so me being a smart ass I reply "you know what? you're right. So lets go down to the leasing office and tell them that you need to register a dog."
    "Shoot. I don't have that kind of money." she says. And that is when she got nasty

She says "If you tell the office that I have a dog I'll tell the police you have drugs in your room."
    So I pull out my phone and tell her that she can use my phone and that when the officers are done looking through my stuff it will be her that goes to jail for making false statements to a police officer.

She walked out the front door after I said that. I guess she didn't want to make that phone call.

17. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Active Member

She doesn't know you carry does she? If she does should might call the popo and make up some BS that you threatened her or the dog with it.

And the scary part is that the popo would probably believe her regardless... and all because she has a vagina...

18. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

No. No one in the apartment even knows I have guns.

19. DrGlock

DrGlock New Member

Ram is gonna be on television!!!

I have one too, but my wife never lets me use it :shock: :D

Apart from that, Ram, I guess we'll see you on that TV show Intervention.

Host: All your roomates are hateful of your dog addiction
    RAM: The dogs just gotta go, or I won't share any more RAMEN noodles with you
    DOG GIRL: :evil:
    Host: Will you get rid of the dog tonight, we have a plane waiting for you...

Im gonna start popping the corn!!! :D

20. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Re: Ram is gonna be on television!!!