The Doctors Office

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by SigmanSauer, Feb 17, 2006.

1. SigmanSauer

SigmanSauer New Member

I have a question to pose to everyone. Just yesterday I took my child over for a physical and the doctor was asking me all of the general questions like "is there any history of cancer in your family", "what about asthma" then to my shock the next question was "are there any guns in your home?". I replied to the nurse practioner "that is not a medical question and I am not going to answer that". She looked shocked and then proceeded to the other medical question. What is that question doing on a sheet related to a childs physical?. Hmmmmmm.

2. Molon Labe

Molon Labe New Member

I've heard people complain about that before, although I don't know if our pediatrician has asked that question. I believe that the AAP is anti gun.

3. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

The AMERICAN ACADEMY OF PEDIATRICS is anti gun. If you have a doubt here is a quote from their website:
    http://www.aap.org/advocacy/childhealthmonth/Guns.htm
    http://www.aap.org/advocacy/PAXASK.htm

4. Molon Labe

Molon Labe New Member

If I'm going to have it unloaded with the ammo somewhere else, I might as well just keep a brick locked in the safe by my bed.

5. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I keep a brick locked in my gun safe beside the bed.

Happens to be a brick of 22LR ammo, but it is still a brick. :)

6. thebugman

thebugman New Member

Did you notice them writing a bunch of stuff in your chart after that?

Should have said "Not at the moment, it's with me." That would have been one of those priceless moments.

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That is like whenever I buy ammo at Walmart, and they ask whether it is for a rifle or handgun, I just answer nonchalantly, "Submachinegun."

Usually they chuckle and enter handgun, but the last guy freaked out and told me there was nothing in his machine for "illegal entries." His hand was actually shaking.

I could not keep from laughing, and told the guy, "Well, but that is what it is for, a submachinegun."

He still sold me the ammo, but he did not talk to me anymore.

It is going to get run through my submachinegun.

8. Malum Prohibitum

Sigmansauer, I have always wondered whether any doctors around here ask that question.

Mine don't.

I would have done exactly the same as you.

After all, I wouldn't want them to add to his vaccinations to prevent him from catching "guns" or something.

9. SigmanSauer

SigmanSauer New Member

AAP

Why don't they ask me if there are any predators in my home? or maybe "Are you a predator"? They could even ask something that makes since like "Have you searched the National Sex Offender Register to see how close of a proximity the nearest child predator lives to your child". Hmmmmm. That is actually logical. I don't want to get political but I am sick and tired of this liberal point of view. Why don't people like the AAP open their eyes and realize that it is the person, not the firearm that is dangerous.

10. Malum Prohibitum

Re: AAP

Do you put your child in seatbelts?

Any buckets lying around the house that might get water in them?

Do you have a swimming pool?

Did he ask any of these? Just curious.

I wonder if there is a vaccination for guns . . .

11. Malum Prohibitum

You can always ask the following question in response:

Which kills more people, guns or hospitals?

12. AV8R

AV8R Banned

Our Doctor tried to lecture me about choosing not to vaccinate our children, but he quickly discovered that I was very well informed. Never had the gun question, though. That would be a very interesting conversation for me.

13. Malum Prohibitum

Not to vaccinate them against guns? :lol:

14. AV8R

AV8R Banned

:lol: We homeschool our kids and associate with like-minded folks. Besides the common cold (which isn't too common for us) our kids are 100% healthy and not allergic to anything. I'll put my 7 year old's firearm safety skills up against most adults' I know, and he'll know more than most of them, too. Maybe the Doctor figured he'd get an ear full about guns from someone who just schooled him on vaccinations?

15. Molon Labe

Molon Labe New Member

I'm not trying to start an argument but what would be the reason not to vaccinate? My kids have been vaccinated and the common cold around our home is not too common either so I am trying to see the link.

16. AV8R

AV8R Banned

No direct link at all, but a very common arguement from those who feel they have to tell me what I can and can't do. We chose not to vaccinate because of the possible side-effects. Autism is mainly what we were concerned with, and there's been much research on that topic.

I had a skin reaction to vaccinations I received in college. I've had Psoriasis ever since and my kids are likely predisposed to similar or worse reactions. It's just a choice we made. Everyone should make a choice one way or the other, and hopefully everyone's choice is an informed one.

17. Malum Prohibitum

Autism is related to mercury in the vaccinations, which I understand has been completely phased out in the last 5 years. Just food for thought.

18. Molon Labe

Molon Labe New Member

I've heard that but I haven't seen definitive proof. I'm not saying it doesn't I just haven't seen it. I know that we did manage to eradicate small pox by vaccinations.

19. AV8R

AV8R Banned

I've heard that, too. My children are aged 5, 6, and 7. For everyone's sake I hope research is continued until vaccines are 100% safe. Vaccines have and will continue to play a huge role in health and medicine. Which brings me to "herd immunity." The idea being that almost everyone is vaccinated and by that virtue, disease isn't around to affect those who are not vaccinated. That combined with feeding our kids healthy food instead of junk and good old fashioned exercise has worked well for us.

20. thebugman

thebugman New Member

Interesting the direction this thread has taken. I'm pretty well read up on this as well. MMR was the most frequently blamed vaccination for causing Autism.

Vaccinations are not 100% safe. Nothing is for that matter. I delayed the time that my children received their vaccines rather than illiminate them all together. There is a time period that most autism cases become diagnosed. So rather than stick with the Americam Academy of Pediatrics reccomendation, we delayed the vaccines our daughter rec'd by a year, and never gave them more than one at a time. This takes a lot mor trips to the Doctor, but I felt was worth it. There is no argument in the benefit of vaccines have had on the overall health of this country, but nothing to prove the AAP guidlines are anything but born out of convenience.

Anybody that thinks there are no side effects from vaccines only has to go to the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program to see that people have received large sums of money as a result of their children being injured from vaccines. The government wouldn't set up this fund if Vaccines were 100% safe.

As for Doctors, I have one of the best in the state for kids. If anyone has problems with their pediatrician and vaccines let me know and I'll give you his name. I have good friends that chose the same route as AV8R, and their old pediatrician literaly tried to block the door and not allow the wife and kids to leave when they declined the vacinnes. Can you imagine!