the disintegration of a nation

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by NTA, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

Those are good questions. For me, and many like me, I find symbols like statues, The Flag and national monuments to be religious-like icons dedicated to nation-state worship. The fact is, we are living in a post constitutional America dominated by bureaucracy, waste and fraud. I don't think America's presidents, congressional members and judges made or make America great. I think they all helped ruin the nation. They are responsible for decoupling the nation from its constitution. The thing that made America great was The Bill of Rights, the pre-FDR Constitution, working talent and groups of working talent (companies). That's what made us great, not JFK and Ronald Reagan.

Despite being constitutionally off-the-rails, we still have a good bit of freedom compared to other nations; although, places like Hong Kong and Australia have much more economic freedom than we do in the U.S. Freedoms are basically the only thing keeping me interested in U.S. citizenship. If there was a country similar to Australia or New Zealand which also had our Bill of Rights and actually followed it, I would move there in an instant. I really don't have any allegiance to any nation-state, and I certainly don't 'pledge allegiance' to one—especially one that continually violates and ignores its founding document.

So what keeps the American s— show together? Maybe, like me, it's simply a matter of basic individual freedoms. If those keep eroding as they have been, then I suppose there would eventually be little distinction between the U.S., Britain or Canada, and the country would offer little incentive for remaining a citizen. Unfortunately, we appear to be on that trajectory and have been for some time.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017

2. Taurus92

Taurus92 Well-Known Member

So all you have left is the document? I think these "symbols" represent the history that lay the foundation for the document. If people don't understand and connect all the dots that help explain individual amendments to the BOR, it becomes the "living document" the activist judges want to change on a whim. Which, as you note, has been happening over the years. Wiping out historic symbols will help isolate the document as just another relic.

Are the people wanting to keep these symbols more Constitutionally based? Gun rights groups?
    Are the people wanting to remove these symbols the same one's wanting to rewrite the Constitution? Ginsberg? Schumer? AntiFA?

3. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

It's not coming apart at all. Few lives are affected by the daily news narrative.

Encouraging riots and covering them is the mission of 24x7 cable news.

All this nonsense will be forgotten in the next big economic crash or when someone shoots off a few nukes.

4. Taurus92

After more history is erased and after the next crash or war, there will be a weaker, less informed foundation to rebuild on. That's one of the reasons the media is relentlessly misinforming the people. The next crash or war can probably be laid at the feet of the media. It wouldn't be the first time.

I'm glad you're optimistic though. :)

5. Taurus92

Speaking of war, media and the disintegration of a nation, did you see this over at ZH?

[​IMG]

6. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Therein lies the problem. That is exactly what the communists and one-worlders are exploiting. And it's not just an American problem. Witness the problems in Europe.

7. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Then they can just drone bomb him and anyone that will have anything to do with him at any time that they want wherever they want, or sending a hit team to simply take him out if he can't be silenced with other means

8. Taurus92

Fortunately, the GOP will fight this tooth and nail.

9. Mrs_Esterhouse

I keep hearing we're losing our history when this or that statue comes down. I call BS. There are no Third Reich statues, yet we know the history of the Nazi's rise to power in Germany. We also know the history of The French and Indian War without many statues or monuments. Removing them does nothing to harm or change history. Statues and monuments are basically benign propaganda. Their purpose is to tell you a story and convince you it's the correct version.

10. Taurus92

Far From Dixie, Outcry Grows Over a Wider Array of Monuments

And from the comments:

11. Taurus92

He's had a couple of interesting articles lately. Paul Craig Roberts

12. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

I have a hard time reconciling the preservation of public monuments based on Jim Crow era politics at the same time I work to eject vestiges of the Jim Crow era from our state and local laws.

Battlefields? Graves? Historic markers of battles? Those are records of spilt blood. Those are history. Those are a completely different conversation.

Deification of individuals on public land, time, and dime? I'll vote to have Cynthia McKinney Parkway renamed to Memorial Drive just as fast as I'll vote to have a statue of an individual relocated from a downtown square to their family's cemetery. I probably make awkward exceptions for the bust of the namesake of a town (unless people are willing to rename the town to get rid of the association) or something akin to galleries that have a succession of portraits or busts for something like presidents or governors or judges that are all-inclusive not just semi-selective by populist era.

13. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

The statue itself, and why is stands there, is part of the story.

And there are Third Reich Memorials.

[​IMG]

14. Mrs_Esterhouse

And C.S.A. memorials....
    :D

[​IMG]

15. Taurus92

Monuments and laws we live by today are completely different things. Destroying monuments so we can 'feel better' about our history is missing the point. It's as if people suddenly can't accept that humans are fallible, so then there shouldn't be any monuments anywhere. To anything. Where are the people demanding all things Roman should be destroyed and shunned? Slavery, militaristic, oppression; what better example? Pyramids? Better nuke them. There're huge. What's happening today is more about punishment of a targeted heritage. A subset of their overall target. It's part of the left's identity politics. It's really not about the Klan or white supremacist. Their numbers are absolutely insignificant and would be completely ignored as loons if it wasn't for the media generating ad dollars. Maybe a few thousand nationwide, max. As someone said, there are more pedophiles in the country. Pick a society that is pristine by today's PC standards. None? Well, let's get our bulldozers out and get to work.

Trying to repaint our history is exactly how Cynthia McKinney Parkway came into being. We should probably keep it just as a reminder of how far wrong PC can go. Historical monuments work that way too.

16. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Well said.

17. Bkite

Bkite PawPaw x 3

Marking for later perusal

18. Taurus92

Los Angeles Changes 'Columbus Day' To 'Indigenous Peoples Day'

I just wonder what part of the Indigenous People's history will be their eventual undoing?