Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

The Difference Between A Court Order And A Gun

1K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Malum Prohibitum 
#1 ·
From http://www.orlandosentinel.com/orl-twodead2707sep27,0,4313532.story?coll=orl_sports_highschool_util:

Roughly three hours before they died, Tiffany Barwick and Michael Ruschak asked Seminole County deputy sheriffs for protection from the man they feared would kill them.

Andrew Allred, Barwick's former boyfriend, had raided her bank account, tampered with her MySpace page and sent phony messages to her family and friends, she told deputies. He e-mailed Ruschak saying, "The next time I see you, I'm going to kill you," and sent Barwick an image of herself covered with bullet holes, a report of the meeting states.

A deputy replied that he could do nothing at that time.

Later on Monday night, Allred plowed into Barwick's car outside Ruschak's home in Oviedo, broke in and shot him dead. He then walked into the bathroom, where Barwick was hiding, and shot her.

Acquaintances said he was bitter about his breakup with Barwick, a student at Seminole Community College, and directed his anger at her and Ruschak, a student at the University of Central Florida. The three had been friends, according to these accounts, until Barwick ended her relationship with Allred in August.

Sheriff's records show that Barwick, 19, first called deputies at 11:30 a.m. Monday alleging that Allred had tapped into her Bank of America account and withdrawn money without her permission.

At 7:09 p.m. she told another deputy that Allred just sent Ruschak, 22, a message threatening his life and that he had recently purchased a gun. She pleaded with the deputy to "lock him [Allred] up."

Sheriff's officials defended the agency's handling of the plea for help, recounted in a four-page report released Wednesday. The deputy who responded to Barwick and Ruschak's complaints did "the best he could," Chief Deputy Steven Harriett said.

Friends and family had mixed reactions on the events that led to Monday's shooting.

"My opinion is that if you get a restraining order, it is just a piece of paper," said Ruschak's mother, Janice. "I know police are doing their best, and I don't want to blame them."

Even if Barwick had sought a protective order against Allred, the forms must be filed at the Seminole County Courthouse, then sent to a judge and finally the Sheriff's Office.

Court officials said the process could take a day or two.

Wick said she doubted it would have helped.

"Allred would not have been served the order in time and, even if he was, who knows if that would have stopped him?" Wick said. "Sometimes there's nothing you can do about it."
... :evil: ...

#10 ·
Inside the mind: "Well, self, now that you have been served this spiffy paper you will have to repent of all that wife beating and threatening. Just a moment ago my rage was at a point where I might break in and take the lives of the people who are making me angry, but now this official court seal on this handy paper has calmed me down and turned me into a fine citizen."

Good grief, Charlie Brown. What about the police with the moxy to say, "we did what we do, but you didn't do what thinking people do - defend yourselves."

#15 ·
Malum Prohibitum said:
kkennett said:
Good grief, Charlie Brown. What about the police with the moxy to say, "we did what we do, but you didn't do what thinking people do - defend yourselves."
Because they do "not recommend taking the law into your own hands."
Is defending yourself taking the law into your own hands? Thas right they are the powerful, all knowing.... wait thats GS1 from this site :lol:

G
#16 ·
A gun in hand beats a cop on the phone every time.

I am actually speechless. This is by and far the most saddening thing I've read today. The line about "The deputy did his best." is a crock of BS.

The tag line at the end is best, "Sometimes there's nothing you can do about it."

#17 ·
S&W 40 said:
[quote="Malum Prohibitum":3fr9ci9n]
kkennett said:
Because they do "not recommend taking the law into your own hands."
Is defending yourself taking the law into your own hands?[/quote:3fr9ci9n]

No? Well, how about, it is more likely to be used against you than to defend your Life?

Um, introducing a firearm into the equation will make things more dangerous?

:D

#18 ·
He e-mailed Ruschak saying, "The next time I see you, I'm going to kill you," and sent Barwick an image of herself covered with bullet holes, a report of the meeting states.
A deputy replied that he could do nothing at that time.
amazing

if these "protectors" could do nothing with such an adequately evidenced, severe threat, what use could they possibly be to the public? i don't want to disparage LEO's, because i believe most of them are stand up guys trying their best to do the right thing. but, this guy and the folks in the department that supported his inaction are the wrong people for the job.

"Sometimes there's nothing you can do about it."
again, amazing. nothing you can do about it? sometimes i wonder if they really believe that; or, if they are so paranoid that people protecting themselves might jeopardize their job security. it baffles me either way.

#19 ·
phaed said:
He e-mailed Ruschak saying, "The next time I see you, I'm going to kill you," and sent Barwick an image of herself covered with bullet holes, a report of the meeting states.
[quote:2slgqwlb]A deputy replied that he could do nothing at that time.
amazing

if these "protectors" could do nothing with such an adequately evidenced, severe threat, what use could they possibly be to the public? [/quote:2slgqwlb]

Yeah, I do not know about Florida law, but that would definitely be a terroristic threat in Georgia.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.