The Constitution, History, and College Students

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Malum Prohibitum, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Among college seniors, less than half--47.9%--correctly concluded that "We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal" was from the Declaration of Independence. More than half did not know that the Bill of Rights prohibits the governmental establishment of an official religion, and "55.4 percent could not recognize Yorktown as the battle that brought the American Revolution to an end" (more than one quarter believing that it was the Civil War battle of Gettysburg that had ended the Revolution).
    http://www.opinionjournal.com/columnist ... =110009000

No WONDER nobody understands the Second Amendment today.

2. Sharky

Sharky New Member

And we wonder where liberty has gone!

I had a conversation with my grandfather, trooper back in Korea. Different time but everybody had an idea of patriotism. I believe we have lost that!

I talk to a bunch of people and they have no clue that Kennesaw was the site of a pretty big battle as well!

I am not even from here and know more that the kids that were raised here. Guess my parents were good ones cause they always stressed history and our country growing up in NY NY.

3. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

I would be willing to bet that members of congress would score no better...

4. Taler

Taler New Member

Heck USMC, for our congressmen, you could make it "open book" and they'd do no better.

And for judges? Makes me want to laugh, cry, or both.

5. MLS 4506

MLS 4506 Active Member

it is a tribute to the government schools,i would be willing to bet that more than half of them believe that: we live in a democracy . . more money for schools will improve . education. . more gun laws will decrease violent crime. . . . it scares me to think what our republic . will look like when those get kids get to be . my age :cry: