The Complete Combatant - Marietta, Ga

Discussion in 'Training' started by SFerg, Sep 13, 2015.

1. SFerg

SFerg New Member

2. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

I took this course over the past weekend, 22-23 July 2017. Excellent training! if you want to test yourself with some key hand to hand skills, mixing use of EDC handgun with physical and mental tactics, overview of key laws, what to tell 911, and even testing your EDC equipment to see if it will handle some stress...you want to take this course. Brian and Shelley Hill and their coaches do a phenomenal job. Highly recommend.

http://www.thecompletecombatant.com/the-complete-combatant.html

3. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

My review of the course:

Course review: The Complete Combatant at Fusion MMA.

I had a chance to attend the recent course, The Complete Combatant, 22-23 July 2017. The course was held at Fusion MMA, conducted by the owners, Brian and Shelley Hill. The course is designed to provide some additional skills to the armed citizen, someone already with some handgun shooting ability. The focus is on being a thinking fighter when confronted by an attack, using mental preparation and planning beforehand, and physical skills to better confront a sudden ambush attack.

Course schedule was Saturday 4 to 8 pm, then Sunday 9 am to 5 pm. It was a very full day and a half of classes and hands on practice and drills. Although much of the class is focused on the mental aspects, including judgement, situational awareness, and the laws of self defense, the class requires some level of physical ability. This includes some running, physical contact with other students and coaches, hitting punching bags, and so forth. I didn't find it overly tough, but I was a bit sore a day after the class. Bring plenty of water, and you get time to hydrate and rest. Sack lunch is a must on Sunday. Wear comfortable street clothes; I was comfortable in a tshirt, shorts, and running shoes.

I brought my usual EDC firearm and other equipment, including spare mag, flashlight, knife. Me and the students made our firearms safe at the start of each class, putting in a Trainsafe Disabler into the barrel and Tap Rack Trainers into the magazines. This made the guns inert and safe to point at coaches, during class.

Topics included verbalizing when confronted with predatory or suspicious behavior, understanding criminal behaviors, situational awareness tactics. We practiced some key physical holds on each other, designed really to get an attacker off their game and so to create distance, enabling us to get away or to deploy a firearm, as the case may be. This continued into Sunday, with more advanced topics, including confronting multiple attackers, nonlethal and lethal force, entangled fighting, fighting from the ground and against a wall, disarming techniques against an opponent, some techniques for using knives, some techniques when using flashlights, shooting handgun from retention, some basic use of tourniquets (and actual drill of use, during other exercises).

Brian used a combination of class discussions, some use of video when appropriate, and always followed by practical practice and drills on techniques. This was a fast paced and energetic course! The course was completed with a practical final "exam" for each student, presented with a unique scenario involving an attack that had to be defended. Key aspects of lawful defense had to be articulated, as well as proper interaction with 911 operator and law enforcement. We had the good fortune to get guest lectures from Lee Weems, who discussed police-citizen contacts, and Claude Werner, who discussed negative outcomes and actual armed citizen successes.

This was a superb course. Brian and Shelley had boundless energy, were very funny and entertaining, as well as thoughtful and caring coaches. The assistant coaches were superb and added much to the class. There is a LOT of information and techniques that we covered, and much of it, we could only practice a little bit. I appreciated the fact, that this course TESTS your equipment and some of your handgun skills, under a certain level of stress, not found in many courses. This is force on force, facing a live opponent who is unpredictable. I also liked the fact that this is a THINKING course, requiring the student to really think about techniques and choices to be made, when confronted by an attacker. Everyone who carries a gun, should seriously consider taking this course. Highly recommend it to all.