Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

The 5 Best AR-15s Under $1,000

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Nemo 
#1 ·
The great Obama AR-15 Sale of 2013 is over, sort of. Yes, fears about political shenanigans like green tip 5.56mm ammo bans and other nonsensical moves are driving sales, but we’ve moved on from the time when there were no ARs of any type available on the shelves. In fact, as the market has chilled a bit, prices also have chill-axed, so there are lots and lots of good deals out there.

https://www.outdoorhub.com//stories/2015/05/07/5-best-ar-15s-1000/

#2 ·
Overlooks Aero Precision which beats those prices and has top flight bits & pieces plus is one of the only ones that is 1:7. THE S&W at 1:9 is overpriced (street $900) for what you get and he has it as #1. Ah well. Prices coming down is a good thing for consumers but will ultimately result in fewer options long-term.

#3 ·
The best AR is the one you buy in parts and build yourself. Then its truly yours.

Nemo

#4 ·
Eh. I'm not a big fan of these lists. There are a ton of good sub-$1000 ARs out there - especially since stocks were pumped in in prep for a Hillary 2016 win that didn't happen. For example, I picked up a Savage Recon at Bullseye in Cumming for <$800 just a couple of weeks ago (retail is $999, but no one is paying that). This is an excellent rifle as all of this was included:
  • .223 Wylde chambering
  • 5R rifling w/ beveled groves
  • M16 BCG
  • Melonite QPQ treated barrel
  • Blackhawk AR Blaze trigger
  • Free floated 1:8 twist barrel w/ Q-Lok handguard
  • Included BUIS (front & rear)
  • Pre-calibrated zero-headspace between barrel and bolt
  • Custom-forged lower
  • Mid-length gas system

You can see the YoutTube videos on this rifle - reviewers had no trouble with sub-MOA performance (particularly from rounds suited for the 1:8 twist, such as 65gr+). The handguard is incredibly comfortable, great trigger break, and you end up with high-quality parts throughout in a true-to-form Savage rifle that boasts great accuracy.

#7 ·
Someday I'll build my own - probably more that one or at least more than one upper assembly. For now there is a learning curve to be tamed. I would like to become sufficiently knowledgable enough and experienced to shoot well at a reasonable distance like 100m. Starting with a decent factory-built rifle, factory ammunition, etc. helps eliminate a lot of variables so when I fail to make contact with the target I know that it is 100% me. Once I've achieved some level of skill, I think it would be fun (and wise from a SHTF scenario) to build exactly what I want from scratch (especially if going for match-grade performance).

With that said, I'll probably look to replace the trigger in my Savage Recon with something like a Geissele SSA sooner rather than later.

#8 ·
Someday I'll build my own - probably more that one or at least more than one upper assembly. For now there is a learning curve to be tamed. I would like to become sufficiently knowledgable enough and experienced to shoot well at a reasonable distance like 100m. Starting with a decent factory-built rifle, factory ammunition, etc. helps eliminate a lot of variables so when I fail to make contact with the target I know that it is 100% me. Once I've achieved some level of skill, I think it would be fun (and wise from a SHTF scenario) to build exactly what I want from scratch (especially if going for match-grade performance).

With that said, I'll probably look to replace the trigger in my Savage Recon with something like a Geissele SSA sooner rather than later.
Same here first I bought a complete rifle, then I bought a complete upper and built the lower, next time I will probably build the complete gun. I second the Geissele trigger. best money I have spent on the project, but don't bother with the SSA if you don't get an enhanced model. Buy the G2S instead and save a few bucks. A friend has the High Speed National Match and I wouldn't spend the money on that either I would just get an SSA-E.

#9 ·
Originally Posted by Nemo
The best AR is the one you buy in parts and build yourself and works as expected every single time without fail. Then its truly yours.

Nemo
Fixed it.
It isn't properly built until it operates like that. I thought things like that were general knowledge around here. Maybe it is now that you have figured it out.

Nemo

#10 ·
It isn't properly built until it operates like that. I thought things like that were general knowledge around here. Maybe it is now that you have figured it out.

Nemo
You obviously don't read ar15.com. The threads of home built guns not functioning properly are legend. Which is what usually happens when you build with cheap sh*t parts, modify them and use a 20# sledge hammer and your knees to assemble them. Yes, Nemo, there are really stupid people out there who shouldn't be allowed to handle a rubber eraser let alone a firearm.

#11 ·
The buy vs. build debate has raged on since the AR platform hit the civilian market. Frankly, I think that it is a lower percentage of people that are going to do the necessary research and/or have the necessary luck, patients, and mechanical inclination to build an AR as their first experience with the platform. There are certainly those that do and the platform isn't overly complex - especially if they stay focused on mil-spec. I think that most people are better off establishing a baseline of experience with the platform before building - even if it comes from shooting rentals or friends ARs.

I'll add to this that you need to consider what kind of deal you can get when purchasing your first AR too.

#12 ·
You obviously don't read ar15.com. The threads of home built guns not functioning properly are legend. Which is what usually happens when you build with cheap sh*t parts, modify them and use a 20# sledge hammer and your knees to assemble them. Yes, Nemo, there are really stupid people out there who shouldn't be allowed to handle a rubber eraser let alone a firearm.
Built my first one myself. Got a quality kit and lower, carefully researched and read detailed assembly instructions. Made sure I understood all those and carefully followed instructions.

If you do not do that, I suggest hitting them with a hammer and they get nothing more than a rubber eraser to play with.

It works very well and is named broom. Sweeps well.

Nemo :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.